Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by browne92
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I am wanting to customize my Lights, Camera, Action with all new plastics, and am thinking to buy a sheet and use drimmel to cut replacement plastics, then add my own graphics, anyone know the type or thickness to use? Or where? Seems less brittle than plexi glass..

#2 11 years ago

I use 1/16" thick petg or lexan.

#3 11 years ago

FYI:
Lucite and Plexiglass are trade names for acrylic.
Lexan is a trade name for polycarbonate.
I've never worked with PETG, but from what I understand it is more flexible than polycarbonate, but has a lower impact rating.
If you need to glue up any of your parts, acrylic cement will work on polycarbonate. I recommend IPS Weld-on 16. Weld-on 4 is faster, but SO much harder to work with.

HTH's

#4 11 years ago

does lexan come in crystal clear?

#5 11 years ago

Yes. Actually, I've never seen it any other way. But then I've never looked for it in colors or opaque. You can get 1/8" at the warehouse home improvement stores. Not sure about 1/16".

Edit: I just checked lowes.com, and they have Lexan in .093" thickness. That should be close enough to 1/16"

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

does lexan come in crystal clear?

ya mostly clear, and if you find the colord stuff for cheap let me know, its super spendy- ive got much better deals than the box stores from some sign companies on ebay, lots more thickness and sizes to chose from too.

1 week later
#7 11 years ago

what about custom graphics? a reverse sticker? am trying to make some custome plastics.

#8 11 years ago

Papilio makes an inkjet backlit film that might work. http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20adhesive%20inkjet%20backlit%20film.html

OR their white water slide decals

#9 11 years ago

I am pretty sure you can't laser cut or flame polish polycarbonate / lean as it releases a toxic cancerous gas

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I am pretty sure you can't laser cut or flame polish polycarbonate / lean as it releases a toxic cancerous gas

I've seen no mention of anything toxic, but it will ruin the part. Use solvent after sanding to polish.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pawtucket, RI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-kindthickness-are-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.