(Topic ID: 325098)

What kind of surface mount transistors does stern use to drive LEDs?

By seenev

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0655-e1573069641991 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pete_d.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

The board i need is a game specific board for tmnt. They're probably concerned that people will recreate the boards in eagle and make their own replacements and maybe even sell them to people for a lot less money than stern charges. I've designed and assembled a few circuit boards in my time and I know enough about the cost to know that the markup on these boards is extortion

It's possible you're right about their concerns. But IMHO those concerns wouldn't be valid. At the very least, they probably could assert a copyright claim on the exact board layout, if not the schematic, to fend off competition. It would be legal for someone to clean-room reverse engineer the board (something that wouldn't be all that difficult) and provide a replacement part, so if there's really a big enough market for that to support that kind of effort, which I doubt, it would be happening anyway.

But frankly, surely having accessible replacement parts, whether sold by them or someone else, is better for their bottom line than having their pin sales decline because of concerns about reliability and parts availability and cost.

Now, again...that's not saying there's not some bean-counter at Stern who doesn't see the big picture, and who is resisting the urge to make public important technical documents. But it'd be a pretty short-sighted attitude if so.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pete_d.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-kind-of-surface-mount-transistors-does-stern-use-to-drive-leds-?tu=pete_d and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.