(Topic ID: 110733)

What kind of shop light do you use?

By HighNoon

9 years ago

Topic Stats

  • 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite


Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

    Topic Gallery

    View topic image gallery

    #1 9 years ago

    What kind of lighting, floor lamp, shop light, etc. do you use when you're working on your machines? I need to find something good. My arcade doesn't have enough room lighting for me to see what I'm doing and flashlights only get me so far. I'm looking for some kind of light that would be capable of illuminating the entire underside of the playfield.


    #2 9 years ago

    I have a clamp on shop light and use a compact fluorescent bulb so it doesn't get hot. I think I paid $6 at Home Depot.


    #3 9 years ago

    Mine's very similar to the one above, with compact fluorescent.

    #4 9 years ago

    I picked up a clip-on gooseneck lamp at a garage sale for a buck and put a flurescent bulb in it (instead of an incandescent) to reduce the amount of heat it kicks out.

    I've been trying to find a couple more, but they seem to be $15-$25 in stores.

    #5 9 years ago

    You can always go over to Harbor Freight and use a coupon, get a free LED pocket light but I figured one of these :


    works the best. Doesn't get hot. No cords.

    #6 9 years ago

    Hadn't thought of a clamp light. Great ideas everyone...thanks.


    #7 9 years ago

    I also use an LED headlamp. You don't generally need to see the whole playfield; just the part you're working on. The ones with a battery pack at the rear of the headband are more comfortable. A tilting light is also a good feature. You can get them for around $10-20 on Amazon, ebay, etc.

    #8 9 years ago

    I use an assortment of grow lights I no longer have use for. the cheap but effective is a 85 watt curly compact flouresent (they have a regular bulb twist base and cost 24 bucks on ebay). the make about 500 watts of light and you can get then=m in 3200k or about 5500k. out in the sanding buffing area, I use metal halide and sodium vapor lights, they need balasts, take a while to get warmed up, but you can find this stuff on craigs list for a song and dance now since growing is legal in most places. People drop a couple grand and realize it is harder than they thought. The led and flouresents are the best because they use no power at all when my 1000 watt MH spins the meter. For many reasons you want as much light as possible, especially if you are over 45.

    then on my desk I have movable compact 55 watt flouresents on each side. you cant get enough light!

    #9 9 years ago

    I use an overhead halogen worklamps, both mounted to the ceiling and a clamp on one that I can move around. They are extremely bright but they also get very hot so you don't want them right above your head. I also use super bright LED headlamps, they are a must. At the bench it's overhead flourescents and a circline magnifier lamp.


    Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

    Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

    Donate to Pinside

    Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

    This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

    Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.