Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2297.jpg
lacquer.jpg
#1 8 years ago

What kind of paint do I want to buy for the spatter paint on a Gottlieb Atlantis?

#2 8 years ago

black lacquer.

#3 8 years ago

Where do you find that? I've looked at Ace and Home Depot and don't see any black lacquer paint unless I'm just not looking for the right thing.

#4 8 years ago

I am sure you have seen this but for reference here is a link that goes over the process...black lacquer is preferred and it mentions picking it up at a furniture store. Pratt-Lambert is the brand they like

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#repaint

#6 8 years ago

I see it in quarts at Auto Parts stores (Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc.).lacquer.jpglacquer.jpg

Alan

#7 8 years ago

Why does it seem you can get lacquer paint in black, but not other colors? Or am I mistaken?

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Why does it seem you can get lacquer paint in black, but not other colors? Or am I mistaken?

http://www.bohning.com/fletch-lac-gloss-lacquer/

#9 8 years ago

Thanks. I always see black lacquer in spray cans, but not in other colors. Are colored lacquers available in spray cans?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Thanks. I always see black lacquer in spray cans, but not in other colors. Are colored lacquers available in spray cans?

? Never looked for that.

#11 8 years ago

If you spray the last coat with extreme low pressure you'll end up with a nice textured look

#12 8 years ago

I use a splatter paint brush to get the effect.

#13 8 years ago

Im tempted to try putting the above black laq in my little touchup sprayer and putting it on high pressure to see if I can get a speckle pattern...anybody try this?

#14 8 years ago

google is your friend- some discussion on this site, more other places- just know there is info out there but no clean one size fits all answer as cabinets used different techniques at different times to get the splatter. Early 70 gottlieb Wedge head has speckling you will need an air brush to deal with, which is quite different than 1976 Gottlieb which has splatter and you use a wire brush to handle that.

So its really down to what do you call "splatter"... because each type (speckle, splatter etc) is applied differently- and I may be making up my own terms here, but I think I recall this correctly.

#15 8 years ago

So I'm going with the Pinball Pimp Atlantis stencils (fantastic looking product!) and he strongly recommends against lacquer because it can affect the stencils. Even though the spatter won't be done with the stencils. So I'm going with a black gloss enamel that I'll spray into a cup and use Clay's method to do the spatter.

Thanks everyone.

#16 8 years ago

>>Why does it seem you can get lacquer paint in black, but not other colors? Or am I mistaken?

The Duplicolor in auto parts stores has different colors.

Alan

#17 8 years ago

Here's one of the special spatter brushes I use:

IMG_2297.JPGIMG_2297.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-kind-of-paint-for-spatter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.