Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by DrainO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you setup your newly acquired pin?”

• Glass off; play with the ball in my hands to learn rules. 1 vote
      1%
    • Glass off: play with flippers but stop ball drains to get deep into game and learn rules. 0 votes
    • Glass off: I don't care about rules I just want to see the wizard modes 0 votes
    • Glass on: 3-ball; lock and load. Play and learn as I go 96 votes
      79%
    • Glass on: 5-ball; learn as I go but want more playtime 20 votes
      17%
    • I don't play it; I just fix it. 0 votes
    • Rare Hero style; I don't play it til I mod the hell out of it...then I sell it. 2 votes
      2%
    • Other 2 votes
      2%

(121 votes)

#1 11 years ago

I'm curious how many ppl set up their new game and start playing or do you learn the shots first with the glass off. (see poll)

#2 11 years ago

LOL at the next to last choice.

XM is my first NIB, but when I get a new title I will often put it on 5 ball play. NEVER with the glass off!

#3 11 years ago

I've yet to buy a NIB pin, but I voted anyway. I like discovering pins that I never remember playing, I suppose thats what it would be like for me with a NIB one that I didn't know the rules on either.

#4 11 years ago

Just got LOTR 3 weeks ago, set everything to xtra-easy or easy. My 5 year old is scoring 75MM, so will probably bump up the settings some as I learn it.

#5 11 years ago

If I am going to play a pin at a friends house that I have never played before I will watch a PAPA or Bowen Kerins vid if they exist to learn the rules/ strategy. Otherwise in my own home, the most common answer 3 ball glass on learn as you go.

#6 11 years ago

I didn't mean for the poll to be nib only. Just any game new to your collection.

#7 11 years ago

I usually set and level. Then play...then call friends over to play if I am confident it played ok (level) and no silly little things like switches are failing.

Cool new thread idea by the way!

#8 11 years ago

Good thread.

I play the pin to ensure it works before I buy it...after I get it home I break it down, clean it, buy fun mods and LED's, install them and put it back together (usually with some curse words). Then I play them for a little and sell or trade them out....except for BSD

#9 11 years ago

Glass on, 3 ball

#10 11 years ago

3 ball, glass on. Suffer....

#11 11 years ago

If you run through the game by hand all you're doing is shortening the lifespan.
    Play it like you had to in the arcade, that's what it was designed for.

#12 11 years ago

Why would you cheat yourself out of reaching each goal? That’s like buying a readymade puzzle.

#13 11 years ago

Glass on, 3 ball.. Took me over 7 years to finally *complete* the Final Battle on my Shadow but it was one of the most rewarding experiences ever

#14 11 years ago

Glass on, 3 ball. I figure it out as I go. I prefer the system 11 era, easier rule set and best bang for the buck. Got an ES a few months ago and took me until last week to get the high score.

Of course, if you buy it from someone who has crazy skills, you can always reset the scores

If it's a newer game (TSPP,SM), same method and never get to wizard mode. That's why they are gone, to much effort. Still have LOTR, but once again, I will never see Valinor.

Bill

#15 11 years ago

Most of the fun for me is discovering new things in a game so I don't watch the Bowen tutorials. If I want to see something happen I need to play well enough. I do like breaking down gameplay to play the game more efficiently and I think it is a reason I get to wizard modes pretty quickly in games.

3 weeks later
    #16 11 years ago

Glass on, 3 balls. Maybe change some settings to an easier level. Set all existing high scores to zero. Invite some friends to give them the chance to become grand champion... at least for a while.

#17 11 years ago

Glass on, 5 ball as practice. Once I "get it" I will switch back to 3 ball.

Something tells me TZ will be 5 ball for a while. HS2 is on 3 ball.

I really need to get better at slapping, because TZ is a SDTM beast!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-kind-of-new-game-player-are-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.