(Topic ID: 50671)

What kind of lighting is preffered to play under?

By travisbmartin

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“I like to play under...”

• No lights 6 votes
      50%
    • Black lights 2 votes
      17%
    • Regular Flourescent lights 4 votes
      33%

(Multiple choice - 12 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

track2.jpg
    track1.jpg
    20130514_182253_zps207d57f4.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

About a month ago at the arcade I fiddled with some of our lights around the pinballs. Originally, there was no overhead lighting. But, after realizing the fixture still worked, I put a couple regular bulbs in to see better while playing and working on them. But, now I'm wondering about switching the lighting to black lights like we have mostly around the arcade. I can't decide.

What kind of lighting do you guys like to play under?

20130514_182253_zps207d57f4.jpg20130514_182253_zps207d57f4.jpg

#2 10 years ago

I'd like to hear some expert opinions on this too. My lighting is kind of shit. Nice game room btw!

#3 10 years ago

About a month ago at the arcade I fiddled with some of our lights around the pinballs. Originally, there was no overhead lighting. But, after realizing the fixture still worked, I put a couple regular bulbs in to see better while playing and working on them. But, now I'm wondering about switching the lighting to black lights like we have mostly around the arcade. I can't decide.
    What kind of lighting do you guys like to play under?

My personal favorite is track lighting. It can be aimed to illuminate the playfield nicely but doesn't flood surrounding area with light. If the track is placed correctly above or to the side of a game, there is no glare.

When we ran the tournament at PPE 2011, my co-organizer noticed the track lighting looked great so we shut off the main lights and just used the track lights.

The one downside of overhead lighting is if you are using an overhead camera, you will get glare in the shot. Not a problem if the light is off to the side, however.

track1.jpgtrack1.jpg track2.jpgtrack2.jpg

#4 10 years ago

Hang on. I triple posted this poll. Stupid server errors!

#5 10 years ago

That's my main issue. Glare. On the Doctor Who, Taxi, and World Cup, it's not much of an issue at all. But Jurassic Park has the back 1/3 glared out thanks to the backbox (LED or regular bulbs do it). Aside from anti-glare glass, not sure how to make it look better.

I'm wanting to make our place a nice spot for pinball fans.

#6 10 years ago

I don't like any light above the pinball machine when playing. Prefer it off in a corner where it won't produce glare.

#7 10 years ago

I have can lights ona dimmer that sit about 3' behind the player. No glare and you can obviously adjust depending on what you are doing. I usually play in a darker room but for league night usually turn it up as well as when working on them.

#8 10 years ago

i prefer to play in a dark room with the lights off-

#9 10 years ago

I have 4 flourescent balasts in one room and have removed bulbs from 2 of them.

In the other room I have a 3 way adjustable light to control glare.

I prefer dark with well lit machines. Especially for blackout effects like AFM strobe multi etc..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-kind-of-lighting-is-preffered-to-play-under and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.