(Topic ID: 7866)

What kind of epoxy for repairing shooter lane wear?

By DrAzzy

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rad
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wh2o_repair.jpg
wh2o_repair_before_2.jpg
wh2o_repair_before.jpg
Putty.JPG

#1 8 years ago

My no fear has some nasty shooter lane wear, which sometimes interferes with ball launch. I've decided to take the plunge and fix the wear and install the appropriate Cliffy.

What kind of wood epoxy should I use? (that's what I'm supposed to use, right?)
Locally, I can get DAP, Minwax, and Elmers brand wood fillers - are any of those good, or should I go mail-order?

What's the recommended guide to doing that repair?

#2 8 years ago

Some wood fillers do not ever harden.

"Plastic Wood" dries very fast and sands out pretty good.

Harder than Plastic Wood (hardness probably does not matter since you are putting a Cliffy over it) is fiberglass resin used in boat repair.

#3 8 years ago

Quik Wood epoxy putty stick. Best stuff for wood EVER. Clean the wood well with magic eraser and 70% rubbing alcohol first.

Here's a link to a Cactus Canyon shooter lane I restored for a buddy (actually I restored the entire playfield but this is just the shooter portion) I didn't have to use epoxy but it will show what you need to do after that

http://crinear.smugmug.com/Pinball/Cactus-Canyon-resto/

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

"Plastic Wood" dries very fast and sands out pretty good

Plastic Wood is way too soft to ever use for any pinball repair, sorry. It's for filling nail holes in furniture, cabinets and such. Fiberglass is too messy and difficult to work with. LOTS of sanding required and just nasty messy stuff. I'm sorry, not knocking your suggestions out of hand but speaking from experience. Quik Wood epoxy putty stick is THE way to go. Again I'm NOT trying to be insulting so please don't take it that way.

#5 8 years ago

I'm not insulted at all. I've used Plastic Wood many times with great success.

I've used fiberglass resin to fill divots where a ball drops continually, and because it is so much harder than wood, the divot has never reappeared. I'm experienced with fiberglass, so it is easy peasy for me.

I will try your Quick Wood Epoxy on my next repair and see how I like it. Thanks for the tip!

#6 8 years ago

Here is the product I used recently on a pin repair project, its similar to the JB product.

Worked out great, sands nice and ez to work with. "Quikwood by Polymeric Systems Inc.

http://www.polymericsystems.com/epoxies-adhesives/epoxy-putty-sticks/quikwood.htm

#7 8 years ago

Quik Wood - I'll try to scare up some of that.

At what point in the process do you use the putty? do you sand out the clear first, or use the putty, then sand out the clear and putty?

Varathane - that going to be available locally, or is that something I'll have to order?

Sandpaper - Easy.

Plunger handle - Easy.

#8 8 years ago

First, thank you, Vid

Doc you can find Quik Wood at any good hardware or big box DIY store (That's what Home Depot type stores are called in the UK

Our HD here in Cal carries Varathane as well. Use the #280001 clear gloss waterborne type.

#9 8 years ago

Local Home Despot only carries Minwax brand polyurethane spray - I assume that's not sufficient?

#10 8 years ago

i think that quick wood is the same as this check out demo -

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from jimjam:

i think that quick wood is the same as this check out demo -

Ha ha, nice

#12 8 years ago

Minwax is also a waterborne single part urethane like Varathane. I've used it and it's nice but for some reason I've always prefered Varathane.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Quik Wood epoxy putty stick. Best stuff for wood EVER. Clean the wood well with magic eraser and 70% rubbing alcohol first.

Here's a link to a Cactus Canyon shooter lane I restored for a buddy (actually I restored the entire playfield but this is just the shooter portion) I didn't have to use epoxy but it will show what you need to do after that

http://crinear.smugmug.com/Pinball/Cactus-Canyon-resto/

When you spray it with the new clear, and you're only doing it on the shooter lane (rest of the PF is beautiful_ - no idea why the shooter lane is in such lousy condition), how do you blend the newly clear-coated shooter lane with the rest of the PF, without there being a noticeable boundary?

#14 7 years ago

True Value Hardware carries Varathane if you have one near you.

Or you can get it from them by the individual can online here:

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Varathane-1125-oz-Aerosol-Gloss-Interior-Diamond-Polyurethane/9782.uts?keyword=varathane%20gloss

Everywhere else online you have to buy it by the case (6).

#15 7 years ago

This is the stuff I got from Lowes up here. Used it to repair TFTC before I installed the Cliffy on it. Worked great.

Putty.JPG

#16 7 years ago

How about JB Weld sanded flat under a Cliffy?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from NM:

How about JB Weld sanded flat under a Cliffy?

The JB weld for wood will work but I would not use the original grey stuff. It would really make a mess and run off asw you are trying to put it into place. The putty does not move.

1 year later
#18 6 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

When you spray it with the new clear, and you're only doing it on the shooter lane (rest of the PF is beautiful_ - no idea why the shooter lane is in such lousy condition), how do you blend the newly clear-coated shooter lane with the rest of the PF, without there being a noticeable boundary?

Good question! I've wondered the same myself. Anyone?

#19 6 years ago

Quikwood is what I used. I used a little stain to try to give it some wood grain. Finished it up with a couple coats of Varathane. Put over 2k plays on it without any chipping, etc.

wh2o_repair_before.jpg wh2o_repair_before_2.jpg wh2o_repair.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside