Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinlink
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

led4-2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3855 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3854 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlink.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

My Pharaoh is acting weird. For those unfamiliar with Pharaoh, there are 6 drop targets on the upper playfield. Two banks of 3 drop targets.

My issue is that the game cannot recognize when all 6 drop targets are down, therefore the drops will not reset until after your ball drains. Each individual switch for the 6 drop targets work well both in test and game play. But after 3-4 drop targets have been knocked down, the game stops registering when the other drops are knocked down. All other switches in the game will still register when 3-4 drops are down, just not the other drop targets. It's like it can only handle the first few drop targets, then when you hit them all down it will not reset the drop targets until your ball drains making the game pointless. The same issue is true for the lower playfield drop targets.

I found a known working Driver board and swapped it in, and everything worked perfectly. Swapped back in this board and I am getting the same result as before. So I know that the issue is on the driver board. My question is what kind of issue does this sound like? bad transistor? pia chip? I'm not sure where to start.

#2 6 years ago

I hope I explained this in a way that makes sense. I can shoot a quick video if that is helpful.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Biffbar:

The driver board was changed for System 7 games so they could recognize multiple simultaneous switch closures. Eight switch matrix resistors are replaced with jumpers (wires or zero ohm components). You might have an older driver board, which can easily be updated.

Very interesting thanks for the info. Any idea on how to tell if my board will need to be updated? Sounds like this could be the issue.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Biffbar:

Driver Board "...R204 thru R211 must be zero-ohm or be replaced with wire jumpers." , taken from the inside of the cover page (Jungle Lord manual).
    http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Wire_Jumpers_on_System_7_Driver_Boards

Man, thank you so much! That is definitely the issue.

From pinwiki:

"Williams removed some resistors from the switch matrix inputs and used wire jumpers instead. This happened from the start of System 7. The first thing to do with a driver board (which may not be from that game) is to measure these resistors and make sure you have the the driver board set up for the correct game. While you may be able to use a board with wire jumpers in System 4-6 games, using a board with resistors in a System 7 game will cause problems. Having the wire jumpers helps with switch sensitivity and helps with sensing more than one switch closed at the same time.
    On driver boards from Black Knight and later System 7 games, there should be 8 wire jumpers (or zero ohm resistors) used on the switch matrix at positions W9-W16. These are located on the upper right hand corner of the Driver Board just to the left of J2, the top left connector which is the switch matrix column input. To the left are two columns of 7 resistors, the second column should be the wire jumpers, and also the top position of the next column (column with 2 resistors only).
    On System 4-6 Driver boards, (games like Alien Poker, Firepower and earlier SS games) there are usually 330 ohm resistors (orange, orange, brown) in the same 8 locations. For Black Knight and later (System 7 games) they are called R204-R211, and are zero ohm resistors (usually a tan body with one black stripe). You can replace or jumper over them with wire leaving the resistors in place. In all other aspects the driver boards are identical, so it's easy to convert between the two. This is why they are usually known as System 3-7 driver boards."

What my board looks like:
    IMG_3854 (resized).JPGIMG_3854 (resized).JPG

What my board should look like (pic of the working board I used):
    IMG_3855 (resized).JPGIMG_3855 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

Any tips on how to go about "fixing" this?

Pinwiki says:

"You can replace or jumper over them with wire leaving the resistors in place."

So it doesn't sound like I would have to remove the resistors, just add the wire. What type of wire should I use for this?

#11 6 years ago

Fixed!

Thanks everyone! I used legs off of some diodes and left the resistors on. Works great now!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlink.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-kind-of-board-problem-am-i-having-here-williams-system-7?tu=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.