8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Tommi_Gunn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“what kind of balls do you use?”

• regular balls 7 votes
      21%
    • silverjet premium 15 votes
      44%
    • other 12 votes
      35%

(34 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AC_DC_Ball.jpg
    ooohhh_shiiiiny.jpg

#1 8 years ago

i need to order a bunch of pinballs soon. should i get the silverjet premium balls, or go for the cheaper regular balls?

is there a major difference? what do you guys use?

#2 8 years ago

These ooohhh_shiiiiny ones are my favorite and only ones I use now. Good price and super smoooooth.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325&parent=49

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

These ooohhh_shiiiiny ones are my favorite and only ones I use now.

+1

#4 8 years ago

I like to start with premium balls. I used to buy regular pinballs and upon unpackaging and inspecting when new, I'd find pits and dents in a lot of them. I hate the thought of rolling a pitted ball around on a nice playfield, so I gave up on regular balls and go with the premium balls, which always arrive nice and shiny.

They'll get some scuffs within a month of my daily playing, then into the vibratory bowl they'll go for a polishing, then into storage until I'm ready to rotate the balls out of another pin for polishing. A vibratory bowl is really nice to have on hand for this and can extend the life of pinballs quite a bit.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

These ooohhh_shiiiiny ones are my favorite and only ones I use now. Good price and super smoooooth

These are definately some nice balls, but I think you have to also ask yourself how you are going to play, how long, and how often. For a keeper Pin you want to play a lot you might want to upgrade. I believe BrokeDad has a good amount of experiece with nicer balls. (Pinballs...and nothing else NimblePin).

#6 8 years ago

I think the Silverjet balls are way overpriced. Even if you buy them in bulk, they are still $2.60/ball. That's pretty insane. If you want to go with a premium ball, I agree that the ultra-gloss ones from PL are the way to go. I've been using them for a while now in all my machines, and I couldn't be happier. If you really want to splurge, Martin sells some really nice chromium steel balls for two bucks a pop. They are harder than a typical carbon steel ball and will last longer, but you don't want to use them in games with magnets ...

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=283

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

A vibratory bowl is really nice to have on hand for this and can extend the life of pinballs quite a bit.

Is there a particular one you'd recommend?

#8 8 years ago

How important is it to get carbon balls rather than chromed balls for games with magnets. Is the magnetizing of the balls a real problem. I seem to recall odd behavior during multiball play of BK where the balls had some course-changing attraction when they were in close proximity/in contact.

#9 8 years ago

I have tried Silverjets and the "ooohhh shiiiiny" ones from Pinball Life. I think the Pinball Life ones are the best ones for the money. Just as glossy, much cheaper.

#10 8 years ago

I put the oooooohhhh shiiiiiny balls in my I500. While being much nicer than the heavily rusted ones they replaced, I don't notice much difference between them and standard balls. Still, for 50 cents more what the heck? Of all the vital components you have to replace on pinball machines periodically, the balls are about the cheapest.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Of all the vital components you have to replace on pinball machines periodically, the balls are about the cheapest.

And very possibly the most important. Think about what is moving the most and causing the most friction on your Pin, your balls. So for a small amount of money, you are right, change them periodically.

#12 8 years ago

Jarjar... I bought a Cabelas Model 400 that I found in their ammo department. It's for brass shell polishing, but I've thrown 8-12 balls in it at a time, and let it run for half a day to a day, and I've not killed it yet, LOL. I have heard of them burning out on some people, but I think if you keep the load light and give it breaks once in a while it may last longer. I think I paid $55 bucks for it, so if it does ever give up the ghost, I'll probably just buy another one.

I use walnut shell media and Flitz polish additive. Balls come out really shiny.

There's some much more expensive vibratory units out there. I don't have experience with those.

#13 8 years ago

I use the premium ones from PBlife.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

A vibratory bowl is really nice to have on hand for this

Another reason I love this forum. I had never heard of such a thing. I may just keep buying balls at around $1 a pop but, it's nice to know there are other options available.

#16 8 years ago

You guys sure talk about your balls a lot. Mine came from Marco in a five ball tube, they are oiled and don't seem to have any flaws. Just wipe your balls off before putting them in there...

I guess if they came with pits, a vibratory bowl, would be nice to get those pits off. Spinning those balls makes them happy.

Of course shipping your heavy ass balls isn't cheap either, so shipping rates might make having bigger balls cheaper. Well single orders....

Some thing strange about this topic...but just remember your new pin likes fresh balls. If you like her that much, how much will you spend? lol

#17 8 years ago

Pinball Life's premiums as well!!!
    Thanks Terry!
    I had a magnetic issue with the stock ones in LOTR after 2 months or so...
    Switched to the Carbon-core premiums and voila! No stuttering ejections/ejaculations!
    Yeah, I know I could of just demagnetized the old ones and tumbled them...
    But for $1.50 each- they are a no brainer!
    Just look at them!
    Soooo shiiiiny!

ooohhh_shiiiiny.jpg

9 months later
    #18 7 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. I will be picking up some "ooohhh_shiiiiny" from http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325&parent=49

4 months later
    #19 7 years ago

Placed an order with Marco last week.
    Put a tube of their Silver jet balls in the cart.
    Here is one in my AC/DC.

AC_DC_Ball.jpg

#20 7 years ago

When I read this thread title, it reminded me of that hilarious skit with Alec Baldwin on SNL

#21 7 years ago

schwetty balls

#22 7 years ago

I have a Lyman tumbler. I bought it from Gander Mountain years ago. It is one of the bigger models (can't remember the model number right off hand), but I use it for cleaning the brass shells when I reload for target shooting, and then I got into pinball and now it has a dual purpose. The tumbler is nice, you can get a bowl with a removable plug in the side that let's the media drain out so you don't have to dig around to find your parts when done, or you can just use the plastic screen pan (looks like a pan they use to mine gold) like I do. I have had the tumbler for about 15 years and never had a problem with it. It will polish 500 rounds of brass for my 45 without a problem. The only downside is that it makes a lot of noise if you are using it in the same room you are working in, but if you use it in the garage then you don't hear a thing.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

These ooohhh_shiiiiny ones are my favorite and only ones I use now. Good price and super smoooooth.
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325&parent=49

I buy these 100 at a time and keep them in a plastic jug filled with motor oil.
    When I replace them I look for pits and dents and toss the bad ones in a bucket for a welder friend and the ones that are just scuffed go in my polisher.
    They come out shiny and ready for the next game.
    Stock Stern balls go right in the bucket as soon as I get the game.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

i need to order a bunch of pinballs soon. should i get the silverjet premium balls, or go for the cheaper regular balls?
    is there a major difference? what do you guys use?

I just use the round kind--Seriously, they also make some laser-etched ones with the game's insignia on it --Eight Ball, Star Trek,etc.

#25 7 years ago

+1 on PL's premium ultra-gloss, that's all i use. i replace em every few months.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 219.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.99
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 87.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside