4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pigjes
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

While I was picking up an AC/DC Premium this week, I crushed the tip of my index finger, and it is still totally numb. While telling my daughter that it was a pinball injury, she immediately came back with 'pinjury'.

What is your worst or most unusual pinjury?

Gribbs

#2 4 years ago

In my early days of doing service calls I plugged in my soldering iron to fix a broken flipper wire and started cleaning up the wire and coil for soldering when my penis started getting extremely hot so I realized rather quickly I was going to have to find a better place to leave my soldering iron hanging than letting it hang over the coin door. Some lessons in life you learn the hard way, luckily there was no permanent damage

#3 4 years ago

Back when I first started collecting, I sliced my wrist when a piece of non-tempered playfield glass broke. Called my wife to come get me, then passed out.

Was fine, but cleaning the blood from the basement to the kitchen later was a b*tch.

#4 4 years ago

Having to change my underware when a piece of tempered glass exploded

#5 4 years ago

I had a piece of solder splatter into the corner of my eye - luckily no longer term damage, just quite uncomfortable for a few days...

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

In my early days of doing service calls I plugged in my soldering iron to fix a broken flipper wire and started cleaning up the wire and coil for soldering when my penis started getting extremely hot so I realized rather quickly I was going to have to find a better place to leave my soldering iron hanging than letting it hang over the coin door. Some lessons in life you learn the hard way, luckily there was no permanent damage

A "pinpenisinjury"?

#7 4 years ago

2 bad injurys:

Both in 1987ish,

While working for an op. I was sliding a Space Shuttle across a concrete floor by grabbing the sides of the endrail. All was well until I hit a crack in the floor. The game stopped but my right hand kept going. 3 finger tips needed stitches.

Centaur: set soldering iron down on metal playfield holder. Forgot about it and returned. Put all my weight with my right hand on the iron to grab a fuse. This iron always got too hot as it had an issue/fault internally. Worst pain/burn ever had.large blister the size of the iron on my hand. Was actually physically sick for a week or so after this as well.

Many other small close calls, shocks , minor burns, broken glass etc.

#8 4 years ago

I will let you know when my wife sees the bill for the ST I purchased.

#9 4 years ago

Wow. I knew my crushed finger tip would be small potatoes, but some of these stories actually made me wince!

#10 4 years ago

I was working on a totan in an arcade when i slammed my head to one of the giant outlane ballsave brackets.
    In 35 years working on pins i must have had more accidents, but this one was pretty bad.

#11 4 years ago

Was making a house call years ago working on an EM machine where I made the playfield vertical so I could clean a score motor. One of the owners kids ran into the machine causing the playfield to slam down and the hundreds of sharp edges to perforate my noggin. I looked like I was hit by a shotgun for a couple of weeks, and it taught me to use one of those orange harbor freight ratchet straps to secure a vertical playfield. Another common pinjury seems to occur more frequently while cleaning playfields and spearing a finger with a one way outlane switch. This is more common on the older Gottlieb games, and you never know where that switch has been That one hurt just typing it out. One final one, and there are many more, but the one that always got me was the small popping sound you hear if you find the 190 volt pins on an early Bally 2518 display. It gets your attention, it smells of burning flesh and it makes a popping sound...the trifecta of pinball injury.

#12 4 years ago

Complex medial meniscus tear in my right knee February 2013 moving a Roadshow up a very steep set of stairs through a set of Bilko doors. I was on top, seller was on bottom ... he lost his grip and tried to re-adjust, jerking the machine upward, I fell back, Roadshow on top of me. When I tried to recover I noticed I couldn't straighten my leg. $60,000 surgery later I could walk ... But they said I'll likely have arthritis issues sooner in life for that knee. Great.

#13 4 years ago

couple weeks ago hot glue gun vertical overhead.. molten blob hits carpet back of arm right into the stuff,
    OH THAT FELT GOOD!! minute later another blob falls onto right bicep, oh hey now..
    retired that OLD glue gun for a new one that oughtta behave for a year or two but doubt I'm gonna learn not to play with a hot glue gun vertical overhead, its sooo convenient sometimes!

had a few little soldering burns here and there but molten plastic can sure scar bigger areas real quick. dumb to do and maybe dumber admitting doing it here in writing for everyone to laugh at the dumbazz who did it? its ok by me, just remember when you have molten plastic dripping and burning ya for playing vertical overhead with the friggin glue gun.. some dummy told ya it was a BAD IDEA!.. lmao

#14 4 years ago

i get blisters on my fingers when i play too much..anyone else have this?

#15 4 years ago

Dropped a Judge Dredd off my truck and caught it. Big mistake.

LTG : )™

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Dropped a Judge Dredd off my truck and caught it. Big mistake.

But did you manage to save it?

#17 4 years ago

Dr Who....."keep your hands away from the mini playfield"....trust me,listen to the warning.Got my finger caught while testing the mini playfield after rebuilding it and connecting it temporarily beneath the playfield. It was fortunate that someone was nearby to turn off the power and help pry my finger out. The torque in that motor is unbelievable.

#18 4 years ago

My white water, gravity and the instep of my foot. Need I say more.

#19 4 years ago

I was holding a GnR playfield with one hand and the other was on the front edge of the cabinet...I some how lost my grip & dropped the playfield, crushed my finger right on the nail. I thought the tip of my finger had been sliced off - but it was just completely numb from being smashed so hard. Half of my nail eventually fell off.

I was drilling holes in a plastic brick panel to put on the back of my Shadow. Like an idiot I didn't clamp down the plastic, and it spun while I was drilling it...the spinning plastic sliced right through my finger. Once again - thought I lost a piece of finger...but it was just a really bad cut.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

But did you manage to save it?

Yes. Just about ripped my left arm off. I couldn't raise it past shoulder high or lift anything for a year. But the game was fine. And my left should is a little lower than the right.

Business, truck, and game were all insured. Dummy catching pins and not thinking wasn't.

#21 4 years ago

Mr. And mrs. Pacman fell off the hand truck and I stupidly reacted my trying to "catch" it with my ankle. That was at xmas and there is still an indentation on my calve in the muscle where the corner of it hit.

#22 4 years ago

Flipping a ball up to the shooting lane by hand. My finger came "up" at a weird angle and I sliced it. Not really bad, but bad enough and in the exact right place to bug me for almost a whole week. Other than that, just the aches and pains of lugging machines to tournaments and such...

#23 4 years ago

My heart broke when I sold my Phantom Of The Opera

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I was holding a GnR playfield with one hand and the other was on the front edge of the cabinet...I some how lost my grip & dropped the playfield, crushed my finger right on the nail.

I believe you are not the only one to have a mishap with a GnR playfield. It is not the best design as far as raising and lowering and being a wide pin makes it even more awkward. I know a guy that almost broke his arm and saw another close call as I was picking up my machine.

Luckily for me, most of my injuries happened during the years I repaired cars, but I have learned to be very careful since then. So no major pinjuries besides the usual minor stuff like slicing fingers on sharp steel or the occasional soldering iron burn.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Yes. Just about ripped my left arm off. I couldn't raise it past shoulder high or lift anything for a year. But the game was fine. And my left should is a little lower than the right.
    Business, truck, and game were all insured. Dummy catching pins and not thinking wasn't.

Ugh, I can't even imagine what that was like. Yeah, probably not worth the injury.

I probably would've had the same reflexive reaction too, though.

#26 4 years ago

Well when igot my first machine 6 or so months ago I had the play field up on the metal arm (which was a gottlieb flimsy one) and not sure what happened but it fell on me while I was under it. It was like 4 am so the old lady was asleep so I started yelling for help I was ok as my back took the brunt but didn't wanna damage the game anymore so she held it while I crawled out and we both managed to get it back on the tracks and luckily it was ok , I had a few cuts and we have a funny story to laugh at .

#27 4 years ago

Making mods one weekend and my metal banded watch crossed the two terminals of my 12v test battery. That band heated up nice and hot in about two seconds and put a nice burn on my wrist. I got the scar to prove it.

#28 4 years ago

Pins are big and heavy with little sharp bits and everything in between. But ee by gum they are worth it.

#29 4 years ago

Crushed my index finger when I tried to catch the playfield when it tipped back down. Was blue and numb for 2 weeks, but compared to all what you guys did, that's really neglectable. I am even starting to be happy that I don't have any male parts to injure, lol.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside