(Topic ID: 34358)

What is your pet peeve when having non pin head guests over.

By BowlingJim

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is your pet peeve when having non pin head guests over.”

• Game statred then walking away with balls left to play 85 votes
      36%
    • Putting drinks on games 14 votes
      6%
    • Fingerprints all over glass 8 votes
      3%
    • Shaking the hell out of the games 10 votes
      4%
    • Pressing both flippers all the time 59 votes
      25%
    • All of the above 38 votes
      16%
    • Not listed in poll but I will comment in thread 19 votes
      8%

(233 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a304866274e0bb5bb19a186a5cc5c112.jpg

There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

Title says it all.

#2 11 years ago

Then dont have folks over.

I dont expect kids and non pinheads to get it. I expect them to have fun. A few gentle reminders to use the pingulps but after that I know I will have to turn some games on and off as the 1 and 2 ballers walk away. Otherwise nothing a little sparkle and micro fiber wont fix.

#3 11 years ago

For me it's fingerprints all over the glass. Just finished up a few days of Xmas fun at our place and the pinballs got a good workout, especially from all of the kids. I find the kids love to put their hands all over the glass, and after a while I don't know how they can even see what's going on. It's all good though, all it takes is a few minutes of cleaning and everything is as good as new (and the kids have a blast on the machines and that's the most important thing).

#4 11 years ago

My only pet peeve is when they don't ask to see my games.

#5 11 years ago

4 player games started and then left hanging is one thing.
    I don't get many drinks on the pins because I have the pingulps, a table in the room and a foundation cap/shelf around two sides of the room.

#6 11 years ago

I don't mind the fingerprints, but I hate to hear kids machine gunning the flippers. I usually let it go on for awhile and then just remind them "If I hear the flippers going crazy I just know you're not playing very well! Try one flipper at a time!"

Usually works. I had one kid over that wouldn't stop though, so I took the game off free play and told him he'd have to come up with some quarters. hahaha

#7 11 years ago

I love kids playing mine, it puts a smile on my face to see them play! They were abused in arcades for years what is another hour or so when the kiddos are over, they were meant to be enjoyed!! It is my small contribution to keeping a dying hobby (outside of pinball forums) alive.

#8 11 years ago

Mine is when people leave games in session (ball in shooter lane) and walk away from the game.

#9 11 years ago

I hate when they try to throw my LAH off the roof.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

My only pet peeve is when they don't ask to see my games.

It's not so much to see my games.. cuz you see them when you walk in the house. it's just a bummer when they have zero or negative interest in them.

#11 11 years ago

I have a nephew who plunges the ball and then continues to smack both flippers as fast as he can until the ball drains. I remind him that he is not in chucky cheese and try to teach him how to play properly.

#12 11 years ago

When the visiting kids get a little rough on the Pins or on my 54 year old ball bowler, I just tell myself, "These were designed to be in a bar or bowling alley, played by drunks. There is no way kids can hurt them."

Sometimes I tell myself this over and over and......

#13 11 years ago

I'm on board with the "kids beating on pins" line.
    I love it when people come and play my games and wish more people would come and enjoy them!

I don't mind fingerprints...easiest thing to clean!

#14 11 years ago

Not having fun

#15 11 years ago

The only thing that bothers me is just hammering on the flippers, but really, even that isn't anything to get wound up about. Maybe if I had some really expensive machines I might get a bit more annoyed... but fingerprints? Man, why even have people over if you're that uptight? I haven't had anyone leave a drink on my machines, and generally I have to tell people to shake them MORE. Leaving a ball in play? Who cares?

#16 11 years ago

I hate them constant flippers but not because of the abuse like some said, this is nothing. I just cannot stand the noise it makes because it overrides all the good sounds. I like to be able to hear if somebody gets a jackpot or something. The flipper hammer drowns this out and gets on my nerves.

#17 11 years ago

I am not anal about my games at all. I was just thinking about this after watching my 50 year old brother in law hitting both flippers a little kid and it was driving me crazy watching him. His son who plays all the time was even looking at me like WTF is wrong with my dad.

#18 11 years ago

Shaken the hell out of the games- and kicking the coin door in

#19 11 years ago

I like it when people come play my machines and I believe they were made to be played, that includes "nudging" (that's what TILTs are for! ) and hitting the flippers...and getting finger prints all over them. (although the chrome lock bar and side rails on my AFM drive me nuts when they have finger prints all over them! but they get that just from playing!) I would say out of your choices, the 2 that bother me the most are starting a game then walking away and leaving it...and the biggest is setting a drink on the game, or the game next to it. I have cup holders, if there isn't a cup holder set it on the floor or on the table next to the game...I never put an open container on a game. I know they have (or are supposed to anyway!) beer seals...but it still bugs me and is a mess to clean up no matter what!!

Phoebe

#20 11 years ago

Leaving a game in play for sure. Especially on a machine with a forgiving ball save that you cant just plunge down. I am contemplating making signs that say "if you start a game, FINISH IT"...haha

#21 11 years ago

I get more peeved by the good players who think they get bonus points for tilting a machine.

#22 11 years ago

Man i hate the machine gun flipper crazy flipping. When i hear it i just tell them not to flip so much and wait for the ball, try and teach them a little. They do have a hard time resisting mad flipping though. Needless to say i had flipper issues after the kids left. Probably not their fault though. I had a flipper switch break down and when i rebuilt it i used tungsten contects on one side and glod flashed on the other, its all i had to use. My problem may have been because of the tungsten contects but im not sure.

The other thing that bugs me is everytime my mom stops by to play and she's haveing a bad game i get the "there's something wrong with this machine" drives me nuts...

#23 11 years ago

Double flipping is a BIG no-no at my place.

#24 11 years ago

I only get peeved when they don't have fun.

I get most peeved when I have someone over to play and something goes wrong >> I always feel like they get robbed of playing a game like it was intended if even one thing goes wrong or is not registering correctly.

#25 11 years ago

Constant double flipping gets to me, but I'm always asked "Aren't these things expensive?" or "How much do these cost?". Sometimes it is an innocent or honest question, but other times it is just someone being nosey about my money and how I spend it since they already know they aren't necessarily cheap. I usually give a stock answer and I then feel slightly obligated to give the whole speech about how they retain their value yada yada.

I like that the kids just play and enjoy them. Some adults almost seem afraid of them. They'll start a game as if they're being polite even though they have no interest and then leave it on ball 2.

#26 11 years ago

I get aggravated when people come over, ask to see them because they know that I have them, then when I turn them on and tell them to play say "Oh, no, nevermind." I don't know what they're afraid of. It was a little annoying at Thanksgiving when the little kids would keep smacking the big flashing START button on JP and loading up 4 games, then not knowing what to do, but they were like 4 years old so that's no problem. I'd just have to restart it for the adults who would come along and be confused. Overall I like when people come over and play, because I really don't have a social life at all or many people over, and it gives us something to do other than sit around and talk, or be awkward.

#27 11 years ago

Geez, my kids are 6 and 3 & they both know better than to double-flip. I blame the parents.

#28 11 years ago

Walking away after one ball is up there (we had this happen over the weekend) but by far my biggest pet peeve is their fear of pressing "START".

#29 11 years ago

I love to have anyone come over to play my machines......I hate when they (young kids) bang away on both flippers nonstop!

#30 11 years ago

oh my... again this year someone started a game and walked away... and the game is waiting, for how long... no idea.

and those who bang both flippers at the same time all the time like its gonna help them, no matter what i say...

#31 11 years ago

Asking how much they are worth, then after I tell them they look at me like I'm nuts. I usually say a couple hundred, and I still get that look.

My wife's aunt made this comment after my wife told her the true value, "Why doesn't he sell them if they are worth that much and buy something like a car, or put a down payment on a rental for extra income?"*

I could never ask a question like that to people, and if I did find out how much something is worth, wouldn't judge them if it brought them happiness.*

*Disclaimer: All bills are paid, Dual Income No Kids, only 6 years on Mortgage left, own our cars, so my pins are not keeping food off our plates. Really don't need somebodies unsolicited financial advice.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

by far my biggest pet peeve is their fear of pressing "START".

Thumbs up on that one!

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

The other thing that bugs me is everytime my mom stops by to play and she's haveing a bad game i get the "there's something wrong with this machine" drives me nuts...

+1. I have family members that do this as well. I used to get nervous when my sisters would say there was something wrong with a machine, but I've explained to them many times that if "it keeps going straight down the middle" it is not the machine's fault.

#34 11 years ago

I hate when they break down. I spend a lot of time maintaining my machines.

I could care less about leaving balls to play, double-flipping, tilting, and fingerprints as long as the visitors are having fun experiencing my games. We all started as double-flipping, dirty fingered kids. None of these actions are harming anything. Go ahead and spill - my Beer Seal will keep your Coke/Lite from hurting my game.

Frank

#35 11 years ago

Given this is a Zizzle, but I had my zizzle out at my parents house for the cousins and their kids to play. When playing some younger ones stand on the side and lean on the machine or cover the glass while playing. Even pushing or nudging the machine as they are just jumping around. Drives the hell out of me if someone or myself is trying to play. An yeah, they leave balls going, which doesn't bother me, but the machine then just sits there playing that annoying music....

#36 11 years ago

Some parents let their kids treat the machines like toys, so they just walk away with a (4)player game going strong with a ball in the shooter lane, usually pounding away at the flippers even though the ball is nowhere near them. I had (1) kid pull back on the shooter rod and hang on it like he was trying to force it out of the box! Jeesh! Plus, non pin-heads look at the pins and always wonder how much they cost and why would you have so many!! Sometimes I want to ask them what they spend their money on, since most of them make more in a year than I do and have nothing more to show for it.

Okay, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening! :0)

#37 11 years ago

Great Advice and thoughts JimJim! AMEN Brother!!

#38 11 years ago

I used to be bothered by the pounding on the flippers and fingerprints and leaving games stuck in mid-play. But with my games seeing a lot less play in the past couple of years than they used to get up until that point I have come to realize it is much sader for a game to collect dust than it is to collect some plays or nicks or fingerprints.

I am also into old vehicle collecting and I will never become what I see at most shows where people figuratively (and sometimes litterally) put up velvet ropes around their cars to keep kids from being able to touch and enjoy them, usually because they are restored to such a degree that they really can't be used for their intended purpose anymore. I have gotten some funny looks from these guys when I invite kids into the cab of my old truck to bounce on the seat and toot the horn a couple of times.

If you are into either hobby and you have no interest in involving today's youth and getting them interested in what interests you where will the caretakers of our treasures come from tomorrow?

#39 11 years ago

I get a little dopey when they just bash the flippers over and over.

#40 11 years ago

Someone put a drink on my afm's glass. ONCE!
    That is just unacceptable. The machine gun flipper irks me, but I try to calmly explain to the little miscrient how to play. It does make me happy to see anyone take a genuine interest, and often doesn't happen until they come over a few times and feel comfortable enough to relax and play.

#41 11 years ago

"The 5 finger death grip"

I'm so used to playing alone that it was an eye opener having 5 family members staying at my house over the holidays for 8 days. My biggest concern was the death grip on the machines, worried about flipper wear on new sterns that have none.

I felt myself getting anxiety and thought about asking to play more focused on flipper button and not the 5 finger death grip all around it, lol.

After a day or two, I was fine, but it was different seeing my pins getting lots of play. I really enjoyed it actually, but so used to babying em.

#42 11 years ago

People who bash the flippers as though they're trying to hammer a nail into cement. They're all SS games, and how hard you whack the buttons doesn't translate into a stronger or better shot.

I forgive the novices, because without them, there's no future for the hobby. But older, more experienced players should know better. "Fingerprints on the glass" ? Please- without such problems, I wouldn't be able to clean my babies...

#43 11 years ago

They don't stay long enough. They don't spend enough money. And non pinheads are less likely to return.

I love them anyway.

LTG : )

#44 11 years ago

Hitting the start button 4 times. Why does every non-pin person do this? It's really the only one that drives me nuts. The double flip thing makes sense if you're not experienced with pinball machines, but the 4-player game thing makes no sense at all and it happens more often than not. When you turn your TV on, you don't repeatedly hit the power button. When you start your car, you turn the key once. Etc.

#45 11 years ago

I only get bothered when people leave a game in the middle of it b/c then the music is on an endless annoying loop (especially with Whirlwind)

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from 30FathomDave:

When you start your car, you turn the key once. Etc.

I need to tell my wife this...

#47 11 years ago

I have my auto plunger set to 15 seconds on all my games. If someone starts a game and walks away it will end the game by itself in a couple of minutes.

#48 11 years ago

I hate the what do these cost, and the look of disapproval like I have wasted my money or something. Those people don't get asked back, rude question to ask in the first place.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from Kgroff:

I only get bothered when people leave a game in the middle of it b/c then the music is on an endless annoying loop (especially with Whirlwind)

Same here... and ESPECIALLY on Whirlwind. Du dudu DU, du du dududu dididi Du dudu DU, du du dududu dididi Du... And a also a little .. dada da da da da da dua dua dua dada da da da da da dua dua dua ......................ARGHHHAAA!!!!!!

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from nasco62:

I hate the what do these cost, and the look of disapproval like I have wasted my money or something. Those people don't get asked back, rude question to ask in the first place.

Ohhhhh I know. My one cousin asked and thought they were only a couple hundred dollars :-p

There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-pet-peeve-when-having-non-pin-head-guests-over and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.