(Topic ID: 308391)

What is your perfect Three Pin collection?

By BriannaWu

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Skatewake
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DD3938A8-43BA-41B4-B6A3-68A1CD55166F (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1525.JPEG
    38333A4E-A8A2-494B-818D-87543CED1232 (resized).png
    IMG_2573 2 (resized).jpg

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

Money is no object, but you get three pins for your home. You can never sell them or add more. Which three do you get?

Don’t just list them, explain your choices!

#2 2 years ago

Halloween
    Ultraman
    RAZA

#3 2 years ago

GOT LE second best stern dmd. Never gets old
    Big Game greatest game of all time.
    TWD LE best stern Dmd never gets old.

#4 2 years ago

Harbor Lites, first pin I remember playing. Sittin Pretty, very fond of it for Beestr's sake. Capcom Kingpin love playing it.

LTG : )

#5 2 years ago

SW prem
    GB prem
    Tag Team

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

Halloween
    Ultraman
    RAZA

You have to explain your reasoning! Two of the same layout tables?

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Harbor Lites, Sittin Pretty, Capcom Kingpin

OLD SCHOOL. I’m into it.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from BriannaWu:

OLD SCHOOL. I’m into it.

I edited it to explain reasoning.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

FG, TZ and my favorite EM C37.

C37 is legit!

#11 2 years ago

TZ-Best overall
    AFM-Favorite layout
    MET-Favorite Stern

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from BriannaWu:

You have to explain your reasoning! Two of the same layout tables?

He’s messing with you. No one would take either of those two to a deserted island, even if only stranded there (somehow with power) for just a weekend in a 3 pin lineup.

The answer is you have to mix it up based on your personal taste. Three of anything is probably too much of a bias to a certain era. However if you just select one each of three eras, everyone will say you chose the wrong pin of that era. Half will say you also need TAF as one of them and I fundamentally disagree. A quarter will just say “3 Elwin pins”.

Others will say two moderns and a classic or vice versa. That may be the case for many. Personal tastes.

For me, today, I’d say AIQ (with sound clips that don’t audibly suck), WH2O, and Gorgar. But next week that may be EHoH, TZ, and Space Shuttle. To each their own.

#13 2 years ago

Iron Maiden
    Godzilla
    Deadpool

#14 2 years ago

Willy Wonka CE
    Jurassic Park Premium/LE
    Iron Maiden

#15 2 years ago

It would have to be 3³
    Then it would be great.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vitty:

Willy Wonka CE
    Jurassic Park Premium/LE
    Iron Maiden

Picking up JP premium this weekend. Cannot wait!

I’ve only played a few games on location, but it’s so highly ranked that I have to assume there’s a lot more to it.

Can’t say I’ve enjoyed Wonka when I’ve played it.

#17 2 years ago

1. GNR, cuz its fun and gives me something to tweak on every day!
    2. Metallica, bulletproof since I unboxed
    3. Sinbad, first game I remember playing continually while in college in '79

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

He’s messing with you. No one would take either of those two to a deserted island, even if only stranded there (somehow with power) for just a weekend in a 3 pin lineup.
    The answer is you have to mix it up based on your personal taste. Three of anything is probably too much of a bias to a certain era. However if you just select one each of three eras, everyone will say you chose the wrong pin of that era. Half will say you also need TAF as one of them and I fundamentally disagree. A quarter will just say “3 Elwin pins”.
    Others will say two moderns and a classic or vice versa. That may be the case for many. Personal tastes.
    For me, today, I’d say AIQ (with sound clips that don’t audibly suck), WH2O, and Gorgar. But next week that may be EHoH, TZ, and Space Shuttle. To each their own.

I’ve really enjoyed AIQ on location. But the callouts are so painful.

#20 2 years ago

I think variety is the spice of life, so if money were no object...I would have a lot more than just 3. I also believe part of the fun of collecting is buying/trading for new (or new to you) pinballs.

Having said that...we are talking hypothetical, so let's do it.

If I could only buy 3, I would get the absolute deepest and best condition/low play pins possible. In fact, money is no object...so I'm thinking only going for NIB and HEP restorations. I would also go for games that are quite different from each other.

There's no way I'm not getting a JJP...so either WOZ or POTC. I guess I would go with POTC.

I think you have to get a stern as well. Easy choice here... Jurassic Park LE.

The third one is the toughest. I could go for another JJP (it would be WOZ), or another class act stern (maybe Metallica or Deadpool). I feel that something from another era might be in order, however. TZ, TSPP, LOTR, or The Shadow. Any of those would be great...but TZ would be my choice.

Here you have it:

1) JJP POTC CE New in box
    2) Stern JP LE New in box
    3) Full HEP restoration/build on a super low play HUO or even NIB TZ

#21 2 years ago

Oktoberfest!
    Sweet Hearts
    Funhouse

#22 2 years ago

IJ
    MM
    MB
    (Closely followed by TAFG / LOTR)

#23 2 years ago

TWD
    Shadow
    Star Trek

Gone through a lot of games and these will be the last to leave

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from BriannaWu:

I’ve really enjoyed AIQ on location. But the callouts are so painful.

It’s not just the callouts, it’s the actual sound quality. The sound is clipped. In a home setting it’s like listening to a walkie talkie feed over an AM radio. For such a good layout, the speaker farts are such a pain.

However, if you’re somewhat new to pinball, JP Prem is a great looker of a game but SUPER hard to play for a new player. It has more tight shots than any recent Stern to date. Hopefully you get used to the layout as it can be a MF’er to shoot if you can’t trap up and control your shots. Good luck!

#25 2 years ago

Maiden
    Godzilla
    Dialed In

#26 2 years ago

If I had to choose.

1. TWDLE best ever game for me. I just love it, I always want to play again.
    2. AFMrLE. Best topper ever. Game is fun to play, very hard to master
    3. GZ prem/LE. Honeymoon phase that I have not had with another pinball machine for a long time.

#27 2 years ago

Deadpool - Hard to describe, but just the complete package
    The Hobbit - Best theme integration, and mixes in a JJP
    Mandalorian - Favorite pin

#28 2 years ago

JJPoTC- game never gets old, looks great, super fun, my favorite pin ever made so far, tons of modes and things to do and shoot

Williams IJ- best pin made of the Williams era, remember playing it when it came out, fantastic sounds/call outs and great theme integration even non pinheads enjoy and appreciate

Original MM- everyone can enjoy playing it, funny call outs, love stacking modes on it, good memories with it.

#29 2 years ago

Mando LE
    MMr
    IJ TPA

#30 2 years ago

GZ LE
    Mando LE
    JP LE

#31 2 years ago

Hmm 3 that you can never change. Ok in that case I want variety and depth. The depth part for me eliminates a lot of older games. I also love a bit of humor in my games.

I think I’d want a 2 flipper fan layout/ easier, chill game. A few months ago my pick here would have been mmr, but I feel my play has improved and I would get tired of it quickly with only 3 pins. Also I considered, to the outrage of some, putting a vpin in this slot. With only 3 pins a vpin would give the most variety and you can still set up the games as you wish. A vpin isn’t quite the same though so I think here I’d go for EHoH, 2 flipper fan layout, great shooter, humor and different modes to go for.

Next spot is for a 3+ flipper, challenging, deep code, multiple ways to play, something I think I’d never get bored of trying to play in different ways. Jurassic Park le takes this spot for me. The only thing it misses on is the humor, but the gameplay and code really are fantastic enough to overcome this and there is a bit of fun with the trex chomp. Given a bit more time Godzilla may take this spot, it could be everything I love about JP2 plus humor, but the code isn’t far enough along to choose it over JP2 right now.

Final spot is something else, not quite a fan layout, still wanting that humor and fun factor. Deadpool. Backup here is stern TMNT, I just love the theme, art, callouts etc and you can either go for main modes which makes it a simple game ramp, ramp, pizza parlour, do mode. Or go for score or cowabunga which makes the game harder and have more variety.

All modern games but that’s what I like the most right now. Hope that even if you don’t like my picks you enjoyed reading my reasons!

EHoH
    JP2
    DP

Honourable mentions
    MMr or vpin
    Godzilla
    TMNT

#32 2 years ago

Any Classic Stern, let’s say Quicksilver

TAF for the era and it’s the pin I played non-stop in mall arcades as a kid. Remember those?

Pirates of the Caribbean CE, just because I don’t have a lot of time on it and I’d love to be able to learn the pin and rules.

#33 2 years ago

Centigrade 37
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Star Trek LE

#34 2 years ago

Played none of them and was dissapointed in Stern for a long time until the new display era.

1. Elviras House of Horrors - Who doesn't love Elvira? Campy humor, and horror is my cup of tea. Probably one of the best lookin games out there.

2. Jurassic Park - Keith Elwin really impress me with his innovative designs. Only minus is the lack of characters. The more characters the more alive a game feels for me.

3. Godzilla - Good lookin game with some cool mechs. Not much of a Godzilla fan and have probably never seen a movie. Still want one.

But the delays and constant price increase from Stern will probably stop me from owning any of these.

#35 2 years ago

Stars - This game SCREAMS raw pinball
    Monster Bash - Something inviting and easy/hard enough you or your friends can get Monster Bash
    Deadpool - SNIKT shot. That’s why

#36 2 years ago

Any combination of these:
    Game of thrones Pro or Johnny Mnemonic (both blazing fast, awesome flow, fun modes - GoT has more strategic options, JM is just pure cyberpunk coolness)
    Twilight Zone or Deadpool Pro (love both, each is better or worse than the other in some minor respects)
    TX Sector or Hollywood Heat (both always fun, rarely frustrating and always make me want one more game)

#37 2 years ago

TWD LE

Brutal, always a challenge and never gets old, makes you a better player, simple very unique layout, amazing code, great DMD

Jurassic Park Prem

Best ruleset of any game, also has that one more game feel, multiple games within a game

GZ Prem

Best Shot layout, best flow

#38 2 years ago

Funny, I'm thinking about this right now as my game room has space for 3 pins. MM and TAF are definitely keepers. The other one I have now is Bally Playboy but only because I've owned it since 1981. Been thinking about replacing it with something newer, maybe Godzilla or GNR.

#39 2 years ago

I started in the hobby with TZ, MM, and IJ. Those were my favorites in 2006-2007, and that lasted for 2 years, then I discovered that more is always nice, and the prices were much lower back then, so the decent into the madness which is our fine hobby began.

In modern times, if I started now, I'd dig 3 Elwins: Godzilla, JP Premium, and IMDN Premium.

#40 2 years ago

I have a four pin lineup and diversity doesn't bother me. I want games that have awesome themes I have a connection to and are also fun games. So I have lord of the rings, Jurassic park premium, Tron, and guardians of the Galaxy.

For your question though of which three - I would go jjp pirates, lord of the rings, and Jurassic park

#41 2 years ago

Robo-War: Crazy fast and hard, yet still has multiple strategies. A great competition game. Never gets old.

White Water: Theme will never age, fantastic sound track. Randomized shots ensure that no 2 games are ever really the same. Shots are smoother than James Bond covered in olive oil slipping between satin bed sheets.

Jacks Open: Probably the best shooters game of the EM era with the most interesting rules.

#42 2 years ago

As of right now:

Harlem Globetrotters -- I never get sick of this game. Love the spinners, love that there's always something to hit, fast, exciting, etc. And in a three pin collection, I want to have a game that only takes a couple minutes to play. Sometimes I have a spare 10 minutes, and that's 2-4 games on HG. 10 minutes wouldn't feel like enough time on today's games.

Godzilla LE -- Tons to do, still learning the game, don't love the ruleset as much as I do Elwin's other games but for now, I like it very much.

Avengers LE -- Best and deepest ruleset of any game I know. Every plunge is different thanks to the award grid. Very few games can say that.

#43 2 years ago

I admit it....I'm an Elwin ho....

JP Prem
    AIQ Prem
    Godzilla Prem

Unique, interesting layouts with lots to shoot at, and super-deep software/rulesets that let you go after different objectives/strategies.

Later,
    EV

#44 2 years ago

Woz
    Metallica
    AFM

#45 2 years ago

I'm with you on Elwin. My personal 3 would be:

IM
    JP2
    Godzilla

Quoted from EchoVictor:

I admit it....I'm an Elwin ho....
    JP Prem
    AIQ Prem
    Godzilla Prem
    Unique, interesting layouts with lots to shoot at, and super-deep software/rulesets that let you go after different objectives/strategies.
    Later,
    EV

#46 2 years ago

Got to go two era's

Solid State

Stars. Incredible rules. Lots of ways to score. Love the bonus count down
    Sea Witch. Lots of drops, play field multipliers, spinner , one of my favorite loop shots
    Eight Ball Deluxe. The perfect bar game . Stripes or solids anyone?

New Era

Star Wars Comic Prem. My mode game. great special effects, callouts, lots of modes, Ti Fighter Multi ball
    Munsters B/W Prem. My fun game. Great shots , risk reward, immersive, great call outs/ light show, Raven Multi ball , new code on this one is great!
    I500. My Speed game. lots of timed modes, great bonus shots, one of my fave video modes, fast/hard game.

#47 2 years ago

LOTR, love the theme and game play. Still the best Stern. Still my favorite pin.

FH, can't live without Rudy.

Stern ST, will take a while to complete, great multiball.

#48 2 years ago

Thought about your post and surprisingly my TZ doesn't make the cut. I've had it since 1998 and love it. I wouldn't sell it and am very happy with my collection. I definitely prefer more to less, but it's fun to think what 3 games would I drop down to.

Using your hypothetical, I'm only choosing 3 games so those 3 are going to be the most loaded. In reality, I'm not a buyer of LE versions, so this is purely hypothetical.

I'm big on theme integration, excellent art, fantastic music, and outstanding rules. I love TZ because it is high on all of these.

My three choices are all a blast to play and integrate the theme and theme assets perfectly.

1. EHOH 40th
    2. JJP Pirates CE
    3. Alien LV

The #3 spot is a tough call between Godzilla and Alien. I've played both and both are excellent. I give the edge to Alien. It's a wide body and has a different feel than Stern.

In the end, I would have three different games from 3 different manufacturers which would provide alot of variety.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Big Game greatest game of all time.

How can you say that when you own what is truly the greatest game of all time..Stars!

#50 2 years ago

IJ
    MM
    WW

^ can't say that's not the perfect combo. Fight me.

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-perfect-three-pin-collection- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.