(Topic ID: 155611)

What is your overall consensus on Ghostbusters and who is buying.

By zr11990

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 186 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by LarryMac
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
pasted_image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
11b5ib_(resized).jpg
There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 8 years ago

I have never pre-ordered a stern machine before, but I'm in for a premium already on GB. It just looks great all around and is one of the top themes I could hope for on a pin. I've never been a big stern fan and never had more than 1 or 2 of them in my lineup at the same time, but they have certainly put out some of their greatest works over the last few years. It's been easy to swap them out and keep one of the newest games in my lineup at all times. The risk seems minimal on a title like this, but either way a GB machine would be very hard for me to pass on...

#52 8 years ago

Not interested

#53 8 years ago

GB LE first NIB and second pin had no plans or room for another pin but damn it's Ghostbusters only downside is I gotta do some more housework to make the wife happy

#54 8 years ago

I am in for an LE. My collection was 75% Bally and 25% Stern (4 to 1) - Now I am going to 100% Stern. I agree with earlier posters on this: Stern has really stepped up their game recently - The games are super fun and RELIABLE. I have many hours in my previous Bally games fixing and adjusting; which is understandable with a 20+ year old game. I just came to the realization that I could have an addicting game that was fun and reliable, and decided to sell my 3 Bally games and buy GOT LE and GB LE. Happy with that. Not to say my collection won't have older games in the future, but there is where I wanted to go today. My LE snob friend ramdomKG is to thank for some of this!

#55 8 years ago

The art on the play field does look great - very vibrant. I have no interest in the theme, however, and will not be buying this one.

Different strokes and all that jazz. Hope those that buy it love it.

#56 8 years ago

I'm definitely interested. But, If i'm dumping that kind of coin on a new machine I need to wait at least a year to be 100% sure after I've see how everyone else fairs with theirs. Id prefer any and all issues to be presented to me pre-purchase. And there will be issues, as with any and every pin new off the line.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Package looks great so far so I hope the code turns out well.

You can say that again.

Quoted from woody76:

Package looks great so far so I hope the code turns out well.

I own 8 Stern pins, and have just sold SM, so I'm ok with them, worse case (for me) would be my XMLE which for a while was on my shit list, but now I quite like it. In fact, I kept XM over SM, think it's an unloved sleeper.

But 3/4 of my pins or more were bought post code completion. IM, Tron, Met, AcDc, Tspp, PotC were done code. But my two limbo pins were ST and XM and I think those codes are not quite there. The code is ok but not great like Met, Tspp, Tron, AcDc.

I understand even my 'done' code games might still not be perfect but they're good to great.

So my major concern is if Stern just flat out doesn't do the code on GB. Like I had XM and ST 1-2 years before the code was passable.

Hopefully Dwight and crew will be on top of the code and if it feels like something doesn't work like if the modes are too linear or can't stack they may be able to add a menu option or in some way mix it up a bit for home users. Hope that if this is a mega hit Stern will put the pedal to the metal and finish the code.

I'm not worried about the layout looks good, the art is great across the board. I'm a little concerned with the magnetic slings but I'd hope Stern has play tested the slings extensively and that they're a good addition rather than a bad annoyance.

#58 8 years ago

I'm interested but they will be making these for YEARS, so no rush. Will decide between the Prem and Pro after the premiums have hit the market. Might be next year before I actually pick one up.

#59 8 years ago

I'm out of space right now, besides, I own my favs right now, so I'm good.

GB looks like fun, just not a must have for me theme-wise.

#60 8 years ago

I'm VERY interested (love the theme, love the layout, love the toys) but I'd probably have to sell my KISS Premium to get it. Not sure if I want to do that right now.

The good news is that I have a couple years to make that decision. I'll obviously have a better idea later this summer when I get to play a GB premium or LE.

#61 8 years ago

Can't afford a NIB pin for now. Got a RZ spot secured and currently saving $ to pay the balance when ready. Fortunately I have a late production number that gives me some time.

Otherwise, with more $ in the bank, I would have been really tempted. Premium probably. I am a big Trudeau fan (despite WWE - love Mustang).

Even then, I would have waited to see some gameplay videos of the Premium and get feedback.

Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I'm VERY interested (love the theme, love the layout, love the toys) but I'd probably have to sell my KISS Premium to get it. Not sure if I want to do that right now.

Definitively not now. With a major Kiss code expected "soon" I would keep that pin until then and play to crap out of it to decide if it's a keeper or not.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Definitively not now. With a major Kiss code expected "soon" I would keep that pin until then and play to crap out of it to decide if it's a keeper or not.

Yeah, definitely. I probably should have said I'm NOT making that decision right now... I've got plenty of time to think about it while playing the new KISS code once it's released and waiting to actually be able to play a GB. Maybe I'll get to check one out at ReplayFX this summer.

#63 8 years ago

Like I did with MET, gonna wait until code matures and then decide on Pro/Premium. No rush, as Stern will make them for a while. Also depends on how Star Wars turns out honestly...

#64 8 years ago

I'm in for an LE. I played the pro several times at TPF and it is one of the best pros I have played, even at this stage of the code. This will be my first NIB Stern.

#65 8 years ago

From what I played at TPF this game has the potential to be one of the best pins Stern has ever made. Game is the full package. Looks, shoots and sounds great. I've never seen that much positive response to a new game at a show and everyone I talked to had nothing but high praise. The moons may have aligned on this one and I can't wait to get more time on my LE when it arrives.

#66 8 years ago

Here's my overall consensus. Slimmer is a pretty lame ass character in the movie. Love the movie quotes, love the playfield art, cabinet art is OK, can't wait to play one on location, not a theme for me to own.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Slimmer is a pretty lame ass character in the movie.

Not when you recall he was modeled after John Belushi, ( Animal House movie drinking and eating ) who was going to be in the movie but died before shooting began. Slimer's gluttony is Dan Aykroyd's tribute to his friend.

LTG : )

#68 8 years ago

love the artwork, love the cab, love the music and it has a playfield full of stuff. I have a pro on preorder. should be here end of april.

#69 8 years ago

I will have one. I just watched a video on sterns facebook page of the factory it looks good. I just need a translator.
Does anyone know what music will be in the game? Bobby Brown?

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm more curious as to what the long term popularity of this title will be. Will it be an instant classic and hold tremendous value, like TAF, TZ, TOM, CV, and so on were/are? Or will this all this hype saturate the market and squelch any post collectible factors? I guess that's only speculative, but for me, it'd be a great determining factor in making a purchase.

TAF is the most heavily produced pinball ever. Still a super fun game that has held its value.

Don't think you need to worry about saturation if it's a great game.

But if you're worried about it as an investment or something, that's a whole other discussion.

#71 8 years ago

Waiting to play it. Looks like a winner!

Have 2 Star Wars LE (light & dark side) on preorder though..

#72 8 years ago

I doubt any Stern will be a good investment except for a few exceptions. Nobody collected pins back in the 90s so not many were cared for. People that played them were often kids who frequent arcades. Once they got older and had more disposable income, they started hunting for those pins for nostalga. Today, many Stern pins go straight to home users who are the same older crowd buying older games. There are no longer common arcades so much less pinball exposure to younger kids. Who knows what the future will hold but I don't see Stern pins going the way of classic pins. They will be sought after as great games but don't think there will be the same passion. I like Stern pins because they are reliable and deeper rules than classic games. Makes a great pin to own.

#73 8 years ago

I'm in for an LE. I got 3 games in on the pro at Texas and thought it was pretty awesome. Only time will really tell, but I guess I'm more excited about the potential of this game more so than anything Stern has released.

#74 8 years ago

Looking forward to playing one, hopefully at MGC.
Looks like the pin has the winning combo. I'm a possible buyer, but in no hurry. Game play is everything and will determine if GB is an A list pin or an also ran with good artwork.

#75 8 years ago

The pinball community has another great game to add to its list!

It doesnt matter with it turns out for someone to be a "7", "8" or "10"
Simply knowing its part of a mega year of releases, is the hopes all vendors have great sales,
as can we ever Not want new games?
We have a few debates on model, a few on art, and likely some on game play....nothing the pinball community hasnt done before, but with this release, the consensus is overwhelmingly positive!

Im joining the Frenzy with an LE, my first to have an LE at home, and that makes it part of, nostalgia, art, game play, and more as a reason.

For the monetary side, here is my biased view, on how I justify this:

Yes, I am not thrilled with the cost, but am comfortable with any loss, as long as my family and friends and I find the joy in playing. Many people pay hundreds to rent a machine for an event, I dont mind this expense if it means I keep for a year!
So, I put on the CC, write it office as a business expense, and pay for it monthly on an equity line.
For those that like numbers, Full payment to my distributor, Credit card rewards/cash back.
Depreciation, and interest only payments. Depending on how you dice the numbers, the purchase costs, Interest only payment, $14-$16 a month cost to own. After Tax benefits, $12-$14 a month cost to own. A Premium $10-$12 a month.

How could anyone not, who may have some home equity to tap, and is responsible, not want a Premium, for under $15 a month, and if you sold it a year later, have the standard opportunity of losing $500-$600.
It might go up, it likely will go down, but if someone said, Own a Premium in your house for just $2.00 a day.....Would you jump on this game or another?

Its one big long way to self rationalize this purchase.

Of course one needs a home with equity, a spouse that accepts it, and room to place it!

Think about it.....So many new games, 1 year old games, and Happy Faces everywhere!

Bring on Ghostbusters!

Its a Great Year for Everyone in the Hobby!

#76 8 years ago

In for a premium. It didn't help that our crack dealer JJ was at TPF.

#77 8 years ago

I am in for an LE the game is one of those that hasn't come by very often with the superb art work. I think once all is said and done this will be on the same level as Metallica as long as it is coded well. The gameplay looks incredible and to be honest you can't go wrong no matter which model you buy. Even the pro looks great. Of course growing up as a kid in the 80s this is a dream theme. Looking forward to getting it ...now the waiting game

#78 8 years ago

In for a Premium but hoping to get that switched to an LE before delivery.

#79 8 years ago

Love the artwork, game is jam packed, and awesome theme. I was 9 when the movie came out and love it just as much now as when I was a kid. My biggest dilemma was Prem or spend the extra and get the LE. Showed the photos to SWMBO for her opinion. She's a fan of the movies and the cartoon. She looked at the photos and said, "Slimer of course!"

Dilemma solved!

#80 8 years ago

Looks good so far. Waiting to see how the code is before jumping in.

#81 8 years ago

After reading / watching pretty much everything about Ghostbusters I think it has the opportunity to be one of Stern's best and go down as a top 10 pin. We've never seen this large of a positive reaction from the pinball community for a new title and I think that is due to a few things.

1. Innovation: The magnetic slings, the Ecto Goggles toy, the ramp under the playfield with the integrated ball lock are 3 items that have never been in a pinball machine before. Same goes for the two double inlanes on each side of the game, a first for a standard body game.
2. Interactive toys: Toys that actually interact with the ball and a lot of them! The items above plus the Slimer toy which on the LE / premium moves to different shots
3. Hand drawn playfield + cabinet artwork: It looks incredible, enough said
4. Great looking molded toys: Slimer, the library, the storage containment unit
5. Licensing done right: Custom callouts by one of the films original actors, Ernie Hudson! Original voice assets and character likeness from all major and even some minor characters can be used.
6. Deep ruleset potential: 9 scene modes, 2 wizard modes, multiple multiball modes, hurry ups, etc.

#82 8 years ago

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards picking up a Pro.

#83 8 years ago

It's a winner.
I played the Pro in Texas. Absolutely fun and one of the better Sterns in some time. Lots to shoot for. It's got the whole package, looks, theme, sounds, call outs, gameplay and early code that was there was fantastic.

This game will sell a lot of units. Really felt Williams-esque.

Can't wait for the premiums to ship.

#84 8 years ago

I officially made the move last night. I'm in on a premium. I decided to sell a couple of my beloved guitars to buy something I can share with my kids and friends. My kids will be out of the house in a few years and pinball is something that we enjoy together. Now if you'll excuse me, I have something in my eye

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I officially made the move last night. I'm in on a premium. I decided to sell a couple of my beloved guitars to buy something I can share with my kids and friends. My kids will be out of the house in a few years and pinball is something that we enjoy together. Now if you'll excuse me, I have something in my eye

You can always sell the GB when the snot noses get the boot

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

You can always sell the GB when the snot noses get the boot

Might have to sell everything because of college costs. That's why I'm buying NIB, so I have a nice box to sleep in when they drain me dry.

#87 8 years ago

I think the Pro is a pretty strong option for the price. Sure the Premium/LE has more options, but both are very good out of the gate.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The pinball community has another great game to add to its list!
It doesnt matter with it turns out for someone to be a "7", "8" or "10"
Simply knowing its part of a mega year of releases, is the hopes all vendors have great sales,
as can we ever Not want new games?
We have a few debates on model, a few on art, and likely some on game play....nothing the pinball community hasnt done before, but with this release, the consensus is overwhelmingly positive!
Im joining the Frenzy with an LE, my first to have an LE at home, and that makes it part of, nostalgia, art, game play, and more as a reason.
For the monetary side, here is my biased view, on how I justify this:
Yes, I am not thrilled with the cost, but am comfortable with any loss, as long as my family and friends and I find the joy in playing. Many people pay hundreds to rent a machine for an event, I dont mind this expense if it means I keep for a year!
So, I put on the CC, write it office as a business expense, and pay for it monthly on an equity line.
For those that like numbers, Full payment to my distributor, Credit card rewards/cash back.
Depreciation, and interest only payments. Depending on how you dice the numbers, the purchase costs, Interest only payment, $14-$16 a month cost to own. After Tax benefits, $12-$14 a month cost to own. A Premium $10-$12 a month.
How could anyone not, who may have some home equity to tap, and is responsible, not want a Premium, for under $15 a month, and if you sold it a year later, have the standard opportunity of losing $500-$600.
It might go up, it likely will go down, but if someone said, Own a Premium in your house for just $2.00 a day.....Would you jump on this game or another?
Its one big long way to self rationalize this purchase.
Of course one needs a home with equity, a spouse that accepts it, and room to place it!
Think about it.....So many new games, 1 year old games, and Happy Faces everywhere!
Bring on Ghostbusters!
Its a Great Year for Everyone in the Hobby!

This Premiun machine is 7k. I like the idea of line of equity but for a much larger purchase. Getting loans, credit cards, business expenses, write off, etc to justify a pinball purchase seems crazy but hey whatever gets into the game room right!!! Heck I ordered it out of state with free delivery and thought I did great on not having to pay any taxes!! Calling my accountant now!!! lol it just shows how much excitement is around this game

#89 8 years ago

I fail to see why double in lanes is any selling feature, so what? What does this bring to the table?

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What does this bring to the table?

Double in lanes.

#91 8 years ago

Much like double rainbows it's just more of a great thing

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Or like a Double-Breasted suite, how do other suits get by without all those extra buttons?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I fail to see why double in lanes is any selling feature, so what? What does this bring to the table?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#94 8 years ago

I'm just saying JT made a big deal about having 2x2 in lanes but so what? I've counted or cared one way or the other. What's next three in lanes? What are they good for?

#95 8 years ago

Well I missed out on the LE models however I'll be buying a premium model. No rush for me though because as a owner of KISS I'm still waiting 9 months later for a code update. So Stern has set the bar pretty low as I know the premium models will be around a long time. I'll probably buy one near the end of summer, early fall.

Sorry Stern...no code updates = slower sales!

Can't really see any point in buying used pinball machines anymore the prices are just off the charts! $2+k for a Solid state machine.....$2.5k+ for any DMD pin that is 20+yrs old.....many over $3k......no thanks! Enjoy your repairs!

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

OMG double inlanes

#97 8 years ago

If there are no lane inserts then why have that many? Should be at least a X bonus for completing lanes.

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm just saying JT made a big deal about having 2x2 in lanes but so what? I've counted or cared one way or the other. What's next three in lanes? What are they good for?

More lanes = More awesome!

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#99 8 years ago

I got to play a Ghostbusters pro at Tilt/Trent's last night. Looks great and plays great! I still want to play the premium and then I'll get one or the other. This will be a huge hit. It's that good

#100 8 years ago

LE ORDERED. The game looks amazing!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,159.00
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-overall-consensus-on-ghostbusters-and-who-is-buying/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.