(Topic ID: 132237)

What was your most favorite now defunct restaurant?

By eggbert52

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JWJr
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E1DA40B8-D8E6-4590-A48C-3684634698D4 (resized).jpeg
    4F3E782D-8C2F-4BC6-8830-775124D829CE (resized).jpeg
    Carrolls_Restaurant (resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Lum's_hot_dog_restaurant_Fort_Lauderdale,_Florida_(resized).jpg
    Naugels.gif
    growlers.jpg
    KC2.jpg
    KC1.jpg
    mrsteak.jpg
    img009.jpg
    FOWL20PLAY20GAME1.jpg
    Old_Country_Buffet.jpg
    IMG_0163_1.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 8 years ago

I miss HoJo's all the fried clams you can eat. None are left in this part of the country.

clams.jpgclams.jpg

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It's hard to make a comparison to what it was like before, because it was almost 30 years ago that I was there last.

It has been over 40 years since I went to Farrell's but I do remember they had pinball machines.

#90 8 years ago

pupNtaco.jpgpupNtaco.jpg

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

How about a thread on places we wish were defunct?

McDonalds might as well be defunct. They used to make fresh hamburgers and tasty fries. Now they pull their pre-cooked meat patties out of a drawer and cook their fries in toxic oil.

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Brother, we are getting old.

Nah, it was like yesterday.

#98 8 years ago

Yeah, we still have Shakeys and their mojos. Good stuff! What I really miss are a couple of local restaurants that had the best prime rib. The Rose and Crown and Charlie Browns.

#102 8 years ago

Did someone say mojos?

mojos.jpgmojos.jpg

#127 8 years ago

Nimblepin enlightened me today. He said they have a water park but wasn't sure about the clams.

king hojo.jpgking hojo.jpg

#128 8 years ago

Some places are still around.

Fosters.jpegFosters.jpeg

#160 8 years ago

Naugles is hiring once again! The comeback is almost complete.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/naugles-669398-ziebarth-taco.html

#210 8 years ago

I remember when KFC had real chicken.

#212 8 years ago

I used to love their BBQ style until they started using day old original recipe coated with sauce. It's been all down hill ever since. Now their chickens are the size of game hens.

#214 8 years ago

I met Colonel Sanders at Disneyland when I was a kid. Now they have some phony doing advertisements.

#216 8 years ago

Speaking of creepy, do you remember the original Ronald McDonald?

o-ORIGINAL-RONALD-MCDONALD-facebook.jpgo-ORIGINAL-RONALD-MCDONALD-facebook.jpg

#220 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm not that old.

Neither am I, but I did stay at a Howard Johnson Express last night.

#226 8 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

He found something that didn't meet his standards.

I wonder if it was something like this little bugger.

KFR.jpgKFR.jpg

#228 8 years ago

I do remember Lums from our trip to Toledo when I was a kid. About the only thing I remember. There was also a place called Burger Giant that had a huge statue of a dude holding a burger

#237 8 years ago

All that's left is a matchbook from these two So Cal landmarks. The food was pretty darn good too.

$_1.JPG$_1.JPG

#238 8 years ago

And whatever happened to this place? They had some great BBQ beans.

Loves.jpgLoves.jpg

#242 8 years ago

A lot of those old Taco Bells are still around but have been converted to Alberto's or other fast food joints. One of the early Carls Jr. by my house never had a drive thru but closed up a couple of years ago to become a 7-11. At one time it had no dining room either. Just walk up to the window to order.

th.jpegth.jpeg

#244 8 years ago

In good news I have been told that Del Taco is now going nationwide. The same one that has been near me since the late 60s is still in operation and I had lunch there yesterday. It was very good and the food is identical to what is was over fourty years ago. They have added some items along the way, but they never felt the need to change fries or anything else. Good, fresh, cheap fast food. One of the reasons I don't do Taco Bell.

#248 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I endorse this post.

And we get Naugles back too. Let the fast food wars begin!

#256 8 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

black olives sliced by hand

When Taco Bell stopped putting olives on my enchirito is when I stopped going.

#269 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I won't believe that Naugles is coming back until I see one that I can walk into and order their food.

You can probably expect longer lines than that In N Out burger in Placentia that has no drive thru. I would gladly trade that place for a Naugles which is coincidentally across from where one used to be.

#276 8 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

As one person already stated even Taco Bell used all real ingredients years ago.

This may be why Del Taco is thriving. As I stated earlier they have changed nothing beyond adding some new items. Plus buying out the competition like Naugles didn't hurt. But really, when I go there and get a beef burrito ( I prefer green sauce) fries, or even a burger, it is the same as it was when I first peddled my bike down there long ago.

Naugles secret or not so secret ingredient was ortega diced chiles that could be had on anything. Their macho nachos were the bomb. They even used real cheese. Sorry..no pump.

#277 8 years ago

Naugles may have very well invented macho nachos. I had never heard that term before..

Or found a plate so much to my liking.

#280 8 years ago

I've got a porterhouse fresh off the grill and I am still thinking of Senor Naugle. Come on man!

#302 8 years ago

We used to have a small chain of seafood restaurants called Delaney's in So Cal that had great food and we used to frequent them quite a bit. They may have fallen victim to the economic downturn a few years back as I am not sure there are any left.

#314 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

The last surviving Howard Johnson's, located in New York:

But do they have fried clams?

#316 8 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Better watch the video....

Oops... I didn't see there was a second page to that story.

The last HoJo's I used to visit was in San Clemente back in the late 80s. My roommate and I used to joke about how we were going to put them out of business on clam fry night.

#317 8 years ago

It was kind of something like this...

2 weeks later
    #318 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

In my dreams.
    I won't believe that Naugles is coming back until I see one that I can walk into and order their food.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/29/news/naugles-mexican-restaurant-reopens/

naugles.jpgnaugles.jpg

#325 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tanooki:

Wow and I don't live in the area anymore, depressed yet not, but good to see Naugles is coming back. I agree that with fast food in mind, they are to mexican food as in n out is to burgers.

In "n" out may have it's followers but for a lot of us here it is not the go to burger place. Fresh food yes, but there are way better burgers and fries at other places.

As far as Naugles is concerned we may be headed down there this evening but I will wait and see if they expand the menu to include items like the ortega burger, fries, or macho nachos before I get overly excited.

menu.jpgmenu.jpg

#329 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tanooki:

Mind you I do believe the animal style version of their hamburger is quite the improvement over the stock menu item.

I'm sure it is which is why it's nice to have a choice. But when I want something animal style I prefer the mess that is a Tommy's chili cheese burger and fries.

Tommys.jpgTommys.jpg

#330 8 years ago

It looks like we won't make it to Naugles tonight as they close at 7:00 and by the time we get there it would be closed. So Naugles is for another day. But as long as they keep selling out of food their future looks pretty bright for now.

#336 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tanooki:

Tommy's isn't that the restaurant along I5 around San Clemente?

I know that Tommy's! No, that is like you said a diner that has nothing to do with the fast food chain but is still a decent sit down place although I haven't eaten there in a while. They had a pretty good breakfast if I remember correctly.

Original Tommy's is a small chain that started out of LA and is famous for their chili burgers and we have one not too far from here, but far enough to keep us from going there all the time.

http://www.originaltommys.com/

#339 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tanooki:

Last time I was in they still had this horrible 80s Miami Vice type motif going on there.

It does look like Tommy's in San Clemente has upgraded their interior since then.

SCTommys.JPGSCTommys.JPG

Tommy'sSC.jpgTommy'sSC.jpg

#343 8 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Man that place looks like fun!

All they need is a couple old school pinball machines. Or maybe they are there..

#345 8 years ago

This is all that's left of the Steer 'n' Stein.

SteernStein.jpgSteernStein.jpg

Fortunately they only changed the name but kept the food. Nimblepin suggested this instead of closed Naugles. Did I ever tell you that kid's a genius?

Bear.JPGBear.JPG

Stockyard.jpgStockyard.jpg

#346 8 years ago

Although next time I might go with this. Get your steak rare as the plate is sizzling.

shroomsteak.jpgshroomsteak.jpg

1 week later
    #367 8 years ago

Yeah buddy! We went last Tuesday but the sign said closed until further notice. But that Nimblepin is persistant and delivered a Naugles combo burito right to my garage yesterday with three containers of hot sauce. He said you might want to warm it back up but I dug right in. And man was it GOOD! Now I know why we missed this place. Thank you NP!

#370 8 years ago

Naugles was good! The burrito was smaller than I remember but it tasted as good or better. Spot on.

#378 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Which burrito did you have? The normal red/green burrito's, and even the combo burrito, were not very big from what I remember.

At one time I think they called it a macho burrito

2 weeks later
    #394 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Pharo's Drive-In.
    (#2, that's me)

So that really is you in your avatar.

10 months later
    #424 7 years ago

We went to Lums when we drove to Ohio in the early 70s and I had one of those hot dogs steamed in beer. But we have been too lazy to drive to HB to get some Naugles....

The burrito Nimblepin brought me about six months ago was mighty tasty though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-most-favorite-now-defunct-restaurant?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.