(Topic ID: 132237)

What was your most favorite now defunct restaurant?

By eggbert52

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JWJr
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E1DA40B8-D8E6-4590-A48C-3684634698D4 (resized).jpeg
    4F3E782D-8C2F-4BC6-8830-775124D829CE (resized).jpeg
    Carrolls_Restaurant (resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Lum's_hot_dog_restaurant_Fort_Lauderdale,_Florida_(resized).jpg
    Naugels.gif
    growlers.jpg
    KC2.jpg
    KC1.jpg
    mrsteak.jpg
    img009.jpg
    FOWL20PLAY20GAME1.jpg
    Old_Country_Buffet.jpg
    IMG_0163_1.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Naugles and Nickerson Farms.

+1 on Naugles. One opened near my home in the early '80s and then Del Taco bought them out. Now the place is a Starbucks (urp). Sorry, I threw up a little there.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Farrell's re-opened down here.
    http://www.farrellsusa.com/

Have you tried it since the came back? I keep meaning to try the one in Buena park, but I never seem to have an opportunity to.
    A new one is supposed to open in Los Cerritos Mall next year, which is funny because there was one there in the '70s and early eighties.

#130 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tanooki:

I grew up in the so-cal area. I'll throw another to Naugles, but also there was this family restaurant, cafe style called BUFFY'S I really liked as a kid.
    Another one that is but isn't dead, depending on your definition of it -- Bob's Big Boy. The original run of them seemed to fold up and die out west, but for a short time one re-opened back in the late 90s in San Marcos for a couple years and folded. Some time period years later I found there was one in Temecula (maybe still here) off I15 I ate at once.
    Now here's where I get into dead but not (and damn I wish it were dead as it's an insult to the name) is that where I am now in Louisville, some douche named Frisch bought the Big Boy name and logo and has a chain of them here in town. I flipped my shit when I saw there was one 3mi from my home when I first moved here around Christmas of 02. I went in and ordered the classic Big Boy burger and tried to get the 'silver goblet' which is a big silver ice cream cup with a good chocolate shake. That got me a blank stare on the drink, but they had the malt still so I was like ok -- came in a paper cup, and didn't taste the same but was ok. So then the food shows up, and I was raving to my gf (now wife) about how awesome the food was talking up their secret sauce (which was like a mix of relish, ketchup and mayo if I recall) and I took this huge bite. YEEEEECK! I gagged and would have spit it out had I not been with her. It has Tartar sauce in it! Who the hell puts fish stick dip on a burger?! I got the waitress to complain and ask what that was, she said it was the big boy, and I was like that's supposed to have that secret sauce, and she said no it was always tartar. I gagged it down and never went back. Man that ruined a lot of memories. That Temecula one I actually went into about 5 years ago when I was back in CA for 3 years, it made the right burger at least.

The original Bob's Big Boy is still in operation in Glendale CA. There have been several new Bob's opening up in So Cal in the last two years. One is in the old Johnnies Broiler in Downey Ca (famous for being used in several movies and T.V. shows: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnie%27s_Broiler ). The food's mostly the same, and the prices are good. To bad they don't have the breakfast bar like they used to have thou.

#264 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I ate at a KFC that had a buffet once about 15 years ago. Aside from a few times here and there it was the last time I ate at KFC.

The KFC in Banning Ca. had buffet when I went there in January for Arcade Expo.

#265 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Speaking of creepy, do you remember the original Ronald McDonald?
    o-ORIGINAL-RONALD-MCDONALD-facebook.jpg

Willard Scott

1 week later
    #312 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

That doesn't look nearly as racist as I remember. They obviously made it more PC over the years. We used to have one right by my house growing up. Didn't Sambos ultimately become Denny's at some point?

Quoted from RobT:

No. But many Sambo's locations were sold to Denny's and converted.

I know of a couple that were converted into an iHop and a Godfathers Pizza (another long gone chain).

4 weeks later
    #374 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yeah buddy! We went last Tuesday but the sign said closed until further notice. But that Nimblepin is persistant and delivered a Naugles combo burito right to my garage yesterday with three containers of hot sauce. He said you might want to warm it back up but I dug right in. And man was it GOOD! Now I know why we missed this place. Thank you NP!

Saw this sign today:

IMG_0163.jpgIMG_0163.jpg

#376 8 years ago

I'm just hoping they'll open up a few stores soon. Maybe they can take over the Starbucks on Rosecrans in Norwalk that started off as a Naugles. It's not as if there's to many Starschmucks in my area already. They already took over an Arby's that had been here since 1969.

3 months later
    #409 8 years ago

Okay, so I heard this on the radio on the way home from work tonight and thought it was bump worthy:

A long empty 400 sq. foot fast food building in Downey Ca. named "Numero Uno" that was the original Taco Bell location is escaping demolition, and being moved to the Yum Brands corporate headquarters in Irvine Ca.

#413 8 years ago

Just saw it on the news, but the original Taco Bell from Downey Ca. was moved last night to the Irvine headquarters. A 45 Mile tripD

7 months later
    #419 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

In my dreams.
    I won't believe that Naugles is coming back until I see one that I can walk into and order their food.

e.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Taco

Naugels.gifNaugels.gif
    By the pier in Hunington Beach.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-most-favorite-now-defunct-restaurant?tu=girloveswaffles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.