(Topic ID: 132237)

What was your most favorite now defunct restaurant?

By eggbert52

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JWJr
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E1DA40B8-D8E6-4590-A48C-3684634698D4 (resized).jpeg
    4F3E782D-8C2F-4BC6-8830-775124D829CE (resized).jpeg
    Carrolls_Restaurant (resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Lum's_hot_dog_restaurant_Fort_Lauderdale,_Florida_(resized).jpg
    Naugels.gif
    growlers.jpg
    KC2.jpg
    KC1.jpg
    mrsteak.jpg
    img009.jpg
    FOWL20PLAY20GAME1.jpg
    Old_Country_Buffet.jpg
    IMG_0163_1.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emkay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#159 8 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Are all the Cici's pizzas gone? I made it through college on their $1.99 buffet. Two bucks to take care of both lunch and dinner (lunner?) A few games in the back. Could not be beat!

CiCi's finally made it this far north but up until a couple years ago, I only saw them down south. We also have the northern-most Waffle House nearby.

The restaurant I miss didn't close, it's just regional and I no longer live in the region: Runza

runza.jpgrunza.jpg

#161 8 years ago

Hah! My mom still mentions those from time to time. I remember one year asking her where she wanted to go for lunch on Mother's Day and she requested Wendy's Superbar. Salad, tacos and pudding! We still tease her about it.

#190 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I believe that honor belongs to the Toledo, Ohio location on Central Avenue that I happened to eat at yesterday with my daughter.

Just looked at a map and it's definitely close! Clark Summit PA used to have that distinction but Toledo looks a bit further north...

#292 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

In good news I have been told that Del Taco is now going nationwide. The same one that has been near me since the late 60s is still in operation and I had lunch there yesterday. It was very good and the food is identical to what is was over fourty years ago. They have added some items along the way, but they never felt the need to change fries or anything else. Good, fresh, cheap fast food. One of the reasons I don't do Taco Bell.

Good news indeed! Too many fun taco chains that never made it to the northeast... Taco John's would be another one I'd love to see out here.

Quoted from usandthem:

I like the thread and it got me thinking of a few for sure. But most restaurants mentioned on the thread were national or large regional chains. Chains blow. Good riddance. Seek out and enjoy great Mom and Pop restaurants before they all give way to Yum brands and Darden group garbage.

I'm with you on that thought - I try to save chain food for short runways and dollar menus. Unfortunately, it'd be pretty tough for us to commiserate and bond on local spots... for instance, my fav Italian restaurant ever was Portofino's in Lancaster, PA. It's a lame sports bar now, but I'd be shocked if anyone on here had ever been there or remembered it.

And while I feel you, Darden put a lot of money in my pocket over the years installing and servicing area OG/RL/LH phone systems. Mom and Pop shops actually cost me quite a bit by going bankrupt after my company had installed or repaired their gear. Over my 8 years in business, I'd be surprised if I broke even on the gross from work I did for independent restaurants but ALWAYS made money off the chains. Don't even get me started on hotels.

#303 8 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

How about Chubbyville - the next McD and Burger King competitor. Fizzled without a trace.

Native Nebraskan here but they were before my time. Dad remembers them though...

The one I remember from my childhood out there (early 80's) was Dash-Inn. They had the rumba and hot-n-tot pops, which I believe were just flavoring added to Coke.

One month until I get my Runza fix! Getting married out there on Aug 9.

1 year later
    #434 7 years ago

Someday Runza will open a shop east of the Mississippi. A guy can dream right?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emkay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-most-favorite-now-defunct-restaurant?tu=emkay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.