(Topic ID: 132237)

What was your most favorite now defunct restaurant?

By eggbert52

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JWJr
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E1DA40B8-D8E6-4590-A48C-3684634698D4 (resized).jpeg
    4F3E782D-8C2F-4BC6-8830-775124D829CE (resized).jpeg
    Carrolls_Restaurant (resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Lum's_hot_dog_restaurant_Fort_Lauderdale,_Florida_(resized).jpg
    Naugels.gif
    growlers.jpg
    KC2.jpg
    KC1.jpg
    mrsteak.jpg
    img009.jpg
    FOWL20PLAY20GAME1.jpg
    Old_Country_Buffet.jpg
    IMG_0163_1.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RandyV.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#188 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

Also used to be a Dog N Suds...image.jpg
    But was replaced by a "Hey, Hot Dog!" so that's okay.

OMG -- Dog N Suds was the best! You Joliet guys are killing me with this nostalgia. I grew up there back in the day.

As for the former-restaurant at the SW corner of Larkin and Jefferson (across from the KMart) I'm 99% sure it started as a Sambos and then went right to Blockbuster in the early 80s. Not sure what took over after Blockbuster went out as I moved away in the early 90s.

You guys were also talking about Archie's and Earl's Cafe too. Those were not at Larkin and Jefferson. Those were over on S Hammes and Jefferson, across from Al's Steakhouse if I'm remembering correctly. Looking at Bing Maps, it appears they razed the building and it's now a gas station.

Another Joliet favorite -- right there with Dog N Suds -- was Joe's Hot Dogs at Six Corners. Looks like Joe's is still kicking after all these years.

I also remember going down to the Weber's Dairy for ice cream. No pictures, just memories.

Fortunately, most of the places I remember going to are still around. If anyone is in the Joliet area, make sure you hit the Ace Drive In for a burger and root beer or Merichka's for a poor boy steak sandwich. You'll have garlic aftertaste for months! Those place are staples of my childhood that are still around today.

#194 8 years ago

@Rick

Quoted from Rick432:You're right: it was Sambo's originally! Completely forgot! Thanks for setting me straight. I'm pretty sure then the Chicken Unlimited was in fact THERE right after Archie's folded as its replacement.
    I think Earl's actually was at BOTH locations, briefly at Larkin&Jefferson before ending up at Hammes&Jefferson, then gone. You're right, the site is now a BP. And across from Al's on Hammes is a Golden Corral. Ugh.
    Weber's Dairy is gone but the large concrete Weber's milk jug out is there if you know where to look.image.jpg image.jpg
    Remember Bogdan's Magic Palace for ice cream and magic?
    Ace is great. Merichka's poor boy is a classic still, dripping, DRIPPING, with Garlic Butter.
    And Joe's is alive and well. Great Polish sausages. Oh, and Hey Hot Dog has excellent root beer, too, along with Ace Drive In.
    Oh, and White Fence Farm is minimally changed. That place is a REAL throwback! The relishes are great, especially the fritters (but I've always been partial to the beets for some reason). Carpet still there, too.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    LOL. Thanks for the pics from Weber's. I totally remember that milk jug.

I guess I Earl's must have moved after I left because I don't remember it ever being at Larkin and Jefferson -- but I'm missing a few decades too. I must have my history mixed up because I really thought both Archie's and Earl's were on Hammes first.

Ok -- so here's the crazy thing. I live in Colorado now and there is a White Fence Farm here in Lakewood. I still go there. It's the exact same thing as the one in Illinois. The Farm here is near an apartment my wife and I had years ago and I stumbled upon it completely by accident. I freaked out when i saw it because I thought it was a Joliet thing. My wife thought I was nuts. Not sure of the history between the two locations -- but the chicken and corn fritters and everything else (right down to the white and green carryout boxes) are exactly the same. The one here was just sold to new ownership but they don't plan to change anything. Funny you brought that up.

I miss Ace more than anything. I took my daughter there years ago when we were passing through and didn't have a chance to get there the last time I was in town. Double cheeseburger, fries and root beer -- there's nothing better.

Good memories!

#197 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

Wow! Totally thought White Fence Farm was completely local! Also since 1920 in Colorado?

That was my reaction too. Looks like the one here was opened in 1973. I read the history somewhere but can't find it. It could have been at the restaurant itself.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RandyV.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-most-favorite-now-defunct-restaurant?tu=RandyV and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.