What was your most favorite now defunct restaurant?

(Topic ID: 132237)

What was your most favorite now defunct restaurant?

By eggbert52

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by JWJr
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 142 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E1DA40B8-D8E6-4590-A48C-3684634698D4 (resized).jpeg
    4F3E782D-8C2F-4BC6-8830-775124D829CE (resized).jpeg
    Carrolls_Restaurant (resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Lum's_hot_dog_restaurant_Fort_Lauderdale,_Florida_(resized).jpg
    Naugels.gif
    growlers.jpg
    KC2.jpg
    KC1.jpg
    mrsteak.jpg
    img009.jpg
    FOWL20PLAY20GAME1.jpg
    Old_Country_Buffet.jpg
    IMG_0163_1.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
    #401 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So that really is you in your Avatar.

LOL....Yep!

#402 3 years ago
    Quoted from rollinover:

and corn dog on a stick at the local mall.
    used to have the best lemonade

Do you mean Hot Dog on a Stick? Pretty certain they still exist just not around here, but they are in 8 states still.
    http://order.hotdogonastick.com/store-locator.aspx

#403 3 years ago

Not a favorite, but who remembers Noah's Ark in St. Charles, MO? http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/769

I remember going there when I was young. I remember the cokes were served in those tall, skinny glasses and the swizzle sticks where giraffes. Food may have been crap, but for a kid it was a cool place.

#404 3 years ago

Victoria Station....best Prime Rib and Beef Ribs I've had
    Steak and Ale (at least around here).

#405 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hogey:

There was a place called Victoria Station in Troy MI about 30 years ago. The front entrance looked like a train car (may have been a real one). Seriously it was like a box car and caboose. All proportional in size. When I went there it felt like a TGIF...or Bennigans (I think they are gone now too). So not sure if it is a match. Did the one you remember have a real train car? If yes, maybe it was a franchise. The one I remember had great food but again I think it was like TGIF or maybe Ruby Tuesdays.

#406 3 years ago
    Quoted from Warbound:

There was a place called Victoria Station in Troy MI about 30 years ago. The front entrance looked like a train car (may have been a real one). Seriously it was like a box car and caboose. All proportional in size. When I went there it felt like a TGIF...or Bennigans (I think they are gone now too). So not sure if it is a match. Did the one you remember have a real train car? If yes, maybe it was a franchise. The one I remember had great food but again I think it was like TGIF or maybe Ruby Tuesdays.

I work near there. When they started to close them up, the one you are talking about on 16 Mile/Big Beaver changed name and decor to a white with green trim look which is why you are thinking Bennigan's. I believe it was a one-off retheming since the one in Southfield closed and was torn down. The Troy remodel only lasted a couple of years and then was torn down too.

Yes, railroad cars joined together. All of them With the sides of beef in the glass doored meatlockers to view a the entrance.

#407 3 years ago
    Quoted from PurpleTophat:

Anywhere:

-Showbiz Pizza (having nothing to do with the pizza and everything to do with the Rock A Fire Explosion!

#408 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptK:

ยป YouTube video

Yes!!! That rules! Every year on my birthday, my parents would ask me where I wanted to go for dinner. There was never any question!!! The 80's...what a great time to be a kid!!!

2 months later
    #409 2 years ago

Okay, so I heard this on the radio on the way home from work tonight and thought it was bump worthy:

A long empty 400 sq. foot fast food building in Downey Ca. named "Numero Uno" that was the original Taco Bell location is escaping demolition, and being moved to the Yum Brands corporate headquarters in Irvine Ca.

#410 2 years ago

King Chef Restaurant on Schoenersville Rd. Bethlehem PA. Gone sometime in the eighties.
    (don't know the people in front of the restaurant)
    KC1.jpgKC2.jpg

Had THE BEST cheese steaks. Period.

I know I'll take a lot of flak for this but, Lehigh Valley cheese steaks kill Philly cheese steaks.

#412 2 years ago

For me it was Growler's in Sunset Hills, Mo. They had an awesome beer garden with 100 beers on tap. Also, all you can't eat french fries or sweet potato fries.

growlers.jpg

#413 2 years ago

Just saw it on the news, but the original Taco Bell from Downey Ca. was moved last night to the Irvine headquarters. A 45 Mile tripD

#414 2 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I know I'll take a lot of flak for this but, Lehigh Valley cheese steaks kill Philly cheese steaks.

Depends on where you go my friend!! Have you ever had one from Dallesandro's in Roxborough? or Jim's steaks on South st.?

#415 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Depends on where you go my friend!! Have you ever had one from Dallesandro's in Roxborough? or Jim's steaks on South st.?

The cheese steak battle is as old as time itself!
    I always preferred cheese steaks from this area (Allentown, Bethlehem)

Philly steaks are good, but they use Cheez Whiz on them.
    Never got used to that.

#416 2 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Philly steaks are good, but they use Cheez Whiz on them

Only some use whiz, the tourist trap places like Pat's & Geno's. I don't like either of those places myself. Provolone is the way to go IMO

#417 2 years ago

For a food court, not in Philadelphia, Charley's Philly Grill at the Minneapolis airport has pretty good ones for someone transferring flights there.

#418 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Only some use whiz, the tourist trap places like Pat's & Geno's. I don't like either of those places myself. Provolone is the way to go IMO

......or Cooper American!

Yea, I was never a fan of those places either.

7 months later
    #419 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

In my dreams.
    I won't believe that Naugles is coming back until I see one that I can walk into and order their food.

e.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Taco

Naugels.gif
    By the pier in Hunington Beach.

#420 2 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

Gertie's Ice Cream Parlor on Chicago's South Side. It was right next to the Colony Theatre.

There is still a few around they combined with Lindys chili

#421 2 years ago
    Quoted from PurpleTophat:

Yes!!! That rules! Every year on my birthday, my parents would ask me where I wanted to go for dinner. There was never any question!!! The 80's...what a great time to be a kid!!!

My dad was regional technical manager for Showbiz, I was babysat by fatz and the boys a lot. Would spend all day there, before they opened was the best. Run around with an endless amount of tokens. We even had some of the costumes in my basement.

#422 2 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

By the pier in Hunington Beach.

Yep. Been following everything that has been happening with Naugles on FB. They had a test kitchen for awhile, glad to see that they got an actual store set up permanently now.

Now lets see them get a bunch of these opened throughout SoCal!

#423 2 years ago

Lum's_hot_dog_restaurant_Fort_Lauderdale,_Florida_(resized).jpg

#424 2 years ago

We went to Lums when we drove to Ohio in the early 70s and I had one of those hot dogs steamed in beer. But we have been too lazy to drive to HB to get some Naugles....

The burrito Nimblepin brought me about six months ago was mighty tasty though.

#425 2 years ago

We still have a Lums near us at Offutt AFB. It's $5 for a hotdog now! Rather go for the liver and onions platters.

#426 2 years ago

I think the Lums in Nebraska is the only one left.

#427 2 years ago

OK -- since Lums was mentioned, I went there to eat lunch today.
    Last time I was there was in the late 1980s. It was like walking into a time machine. Same 1970s furnishings, same menus (tons of marked out lines and stickers to change prices) and probably the same old customers. Pretty run down. Expected the cook to come out from the kitchen with a dirty shirt, cigarette hanging out of his mouth and spatula placed in his armpits.
    Eeesh!

#428 2 years ago

As long a s they change out the beer they use to steam the hot dogs; I'm good with it.......

#429 2 years ago

I like beer steamed hot dogs

image_(resized).jpeg

#430 2 years ago

Is the opposite of a defunct restaurant a funct restaurant?
    Or funky restaurant

images_(resized).jpg

#431 2 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

cigarette hanging out of his mouth and spatula placed in his armpits.

Just like Mom used to make!

4 months later
    #432 1 year ago

My first job was working the grill at Carrols Restaurant.

Carrolls_Restaurant (resized).jpg

#433 1 year ago

i always liked Zantigos. Liked it better than Taco Bell.

#434 1 year ago

Someday Runza will open a shop east of the Mississippi. A guy can dream right?

1 year later
    #435 5 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I work near there. When they started to close them up, the one you are talking about on 16 Mile/Big Beaver changed name and decor to a white with green trim look which is why you are thinking Bennigan's. I believe it was a one-off retheming since the one in Southfield closed and was torn down. The Troy remodel only lasted a couple of years and then was torn down too.
    Yes, railroad cars joined together. All of them With the sides of beef in the glass doored meatlockers to view a the entrance.

It just hit me, the name of the re-themed Victoria Station was "Bonkers". Another Victoria Station in Southfield, at the foot of Northwestern was torn down, along with Ark West Lanes to become a multi-story office building.

The route operator I worked for had the coin-op equipment at all of the Ark bowling centers in the Detroit area. The "R" in Ark stood for Robinson, Roger Robinson. He was a real gem.... not.

#436 5 days ago

This was the place for me. Really enjoyed listening to the Organ!

E1DA40B8-D8E6-4590-A48C-3684634698D4 (resized).jpeg4F3E782D-8C2F-4BC6-8830-775124D829CE (resized).jpeg
    #437 5 days ago

Bobby Mcgees was always a good time, especially if you had an outgoing waiter that really played up whatever costume they had that night. We still have a boot and a bathtub that the alcoholic drinks came in.

#438 5 days ago
    Quoted from Hogey:

"Second" both of those; I grew up just north of Toledo, in Michigan.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 53.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 35.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 75.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside