(Topic ID: 132237)

What was your most favorite now defunct restaurant?

By eggbert52

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JWJr
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E1DA40B8-D8E6-4590-A48C-3684634698D4 (resized).jpeg
    4F3E782D-8C2F-4BC6-8830-775124D829CE (resized).jpeg
    Carrolls_Restaurant (resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Lum's_hot_dog_restaurant_Fort_Lauderdale,_Florida_(resized).jpg
    Naugels.gif
    growlers.jpg
    KC2.jpg
    KC1.jpg
    mrsteak.jpg
    img009.jpg
    FOWL20PLAY20GAME1.jpg
    Old_Country_Buffet.jpg
    IMG_0163_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
    #251 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And we get Naugles back too. Let the fast food wars begin!

In my dreams.

I won't believe that Naugles is coming back until I see one that I can walk into and order their food.

Quoted from MrBally:

We've had Del Taco's in the Detroit area for awhile. I was shocked when I saw the first one here as I only remember them from SoCal and maybe The Meadows (Las Vegas).

Del Taco started in Yermo/Barstow, and their first restaurant with a drive through window was in Corona, CA.

It's been pretty amazing watching them grow like they have, as there were not too many around in the early/mid 70's. Now they are everywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Taco

#252 8 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

I remember when Taco Bell looked like this ...

I worked there when it looked like that. Back in the day when they served real food.

Ground beef cooked on site, no fillers, just seasoning added
    Beans pressure cooked for hours with real lard and whipped with a power drill
    Shells and nachos fried on site, crispas cut from burrito flours and fried
    Lettuce cored, washed and shredded
    30 lb. cheese blocks sliced with piano wire and shredded
    Onions and tomatoes cored and diced by hand
    Green onions and black olives sliced by hand

Oh...and the bell was stolen a couple of times while I worked there

#253 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

» YouTube video
    Like a half inch of Grease in the bottom of the Bucket!
    But, I was singing this at the age of 3.

There was a Chicken Delight across the street from the Holiday Inn in Winnipeg (on Pembina Road) that I stayed at two weeks ago, I was going to take a picture of it as I didn't realize they were still around. I saw a 2nd location in town when I was driving around.

#254 8 years ago

I heard they still exist....They left NY, when KFC came in....early 70's?

Anyone eat their Chicken!

#255 8 years ago

I loved Tastee Freez as a kid. I had a buddy whose parents owned the one in Downey, CA. He would always get us free food when he and I hung out there and we were allowed behind the counter to make whatever ice cream we wanted!

tastee.jpgtastee.jpg

They also used to have events there with the custom car built by George Barris. I wonder where it is now...

barris.jpgbarris.jpg

Edit: It looks like there are still a few dedicated ones left in IL and VA and some others scattered about. The one in Downey is long gone though.

#256 8 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

black olives sliced by hand

When Taco Bell stopped putting olives on my enchirito is when I stopped going.

#257 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

I loved Tastee Freez as a kid. I had a buddy whose parents owned the one in Downey, CA. He would always get us free food when he and I hung out there and we were allowed behind the counter to make whatever ice cream we wanted!
    tastee.jpg
    They also used to have events there with the custom car built by George Barris. I wonder where it is now...
    barris.jpg

Free Big Tee burgers? Mmmm.......

#258 8 years ago

There is still a Tastee Freez a mile from my house.

#259 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

In good news I have been told that Del Taco is now going nationwide. The same one that has been near me since the late 60s is still in operation and I had lunch there yesterday. It was very good and the food is identical to what is was over fourty years ago. They have added some items along the way, but they never felt the need to change fries or anything else. Good, fresh, cheap fast food. One of the reasons I don't do Taco Bell.

Whenever I'm in Orlando I try and hit up the Del Taco. Like you said for fast food it is good and in my opinion blows away other places.

I remember going to Friendlys as a kid in Cleveland. There are still a few of them around Florida, one of them on I-drive in Orlando.

#260 8 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

I worked there when it looked like that. Back in the day when they served real food.
    Ground beef cooked on site, no fillers, just seasoning added
    Beans pressure cooked for hours with real lard and whipped with a power drill
    Shells and nachos fried on site, crispas cut from burrito flours and fried
    Lettuce cored, washed and shredded
    30 lb. cheese blocks sliced with piano wire and shredded
    Onions and tomatoes cored and diced by hand
    Green onions and black olives sliced by hand

Almost every place that used to do it 'real' gets it on a truck now, what I don't understand is why. Self-answer: The incompetent workers and management have less room to screw up and its cheaper on paper.

What they don't realize is that many people do not go to these places anymore after the food quality dropped off a cliff.

I would gladly pay double, triple, or even more to get the original Pizza Hut when everything was made on site, or Arby's when it came medium rare, and as real meat. I need a time machine to bring some 70s food to me.

#261 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

A close second...

424063.jpg424063.jpg

We still have a Sambo's here in Oregon.
    800px-Lil_Sambo's-1 (1).jpg800px-Lil_Sambo's-1 (1).jpg
    Complete with gift shop
    IMG_20130211_114553.jpgIMG_20130211_114553.jpg
    They changed the name from "Lil Black Sambo's" (Based on the story) sometime back I think.
    image_02.jpgimage_02.jpg

#262 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There is still a Tastee Freez a mile from my house.

Jealous. Is that the one on Boone Hill Rd?

#263 8 years ago

Jealous. Is that the one on Boone Hill Rd?

Yep!

#264 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I ate at a KFC that had a buffet once about 15 years ago. Aside from a few times here and there it was the last time I ate at KFC.

The KFC in Banning Ca. had buffet when I went there in January for Arcade Expo.

#265 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Speaking of creepy, do you remember the original Ronald McDonald?
    o-ORIGINAL-RONALD-MCDONALD-facebook.jpg

Willard Scott

#266 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fixie:

The new Colonel Sanders is played by Chris Hammond of Saturday Night Live fame. He's probably best known for playing Bill Clinton on the show but did play a lot of other roles while there.

That is Darrell Hammond.

#267 8 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

Whenever I'm in Orlando I try and hit up the Del Taco. Like you said for fast food it is good and in my opinion blows away other places.
    I remember going to Friendlys as a kid in Cleveland. There are still a few of them around Florida, one of them on I-drive in Orlando.

You have to move to Orlando, Rob!

#268 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You have to move to Orlando, Rob!

Without a doubt there are a lot more games to play in Orlando. I do like being by the gulf though and decent traffic even in season. Seems like someone I know bought a place here too for those reasons....... If you ever retire one day.

#269 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I won't believe that Naugles is coming back until I see one that I can walk into and order their food.

You can probably expect longer lines than that In N Out burger in Placentia that has no drive thru. I would gladly trade that place for a Naugles which is coincidentally across from where one used to be.

#270 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Bonanza is alive and well. I ate at the one on Tom Brokaw Boulevard

I just recently ate at a Naugles on Brian Williams Avenue.

#271 8 years ago

I am so glad they are still around somewhere but I really miss our Tastee Freez drive in as well as Mr Mikes steak house. Makes my mouth water just thinking about them. Such good eats and memories.....

#272 8 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

I just recently ate at a Burger Chef on Brian Williams Boulevard.

I was there.....

IMAG2986.jpgIMAG2986.jpg

#273 8 years ago

I like the thread and it got me thinking of a few for sure. But most restaurants mentioned on the thread were national or large regional chains. Chains blow. Good riddance. Seek out and enjoy great Mom and Pop restaurants before they all give way to Yum brands and Darden group garbage.

#274 8 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Darden group garbage.

That's great stuff. Well done!

#275 8 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I like the thread and it got me thinking of a few for sure. But most restaurants mentioned on the thread were national or large regional chains. Chains blow. Good riddance. Seek out and enjoy great Mom and Pop restaurants before they all give way to Yum brands and Darden group garbage.

Chains used to be good. There are still some good sit-down chains but most fast food has fallen hard. McDonalds and Burger King actually served burgers years ago. As one person already stated even Taco Bell used all real ingredients years ago.

#276 8 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

As one person already stated even Taco Bell used all real ingredients years ago.

This may be why Del Taco is thriving. As I stated earlier they have changed nothing beyond adding some new items. Plus buying out the competition like Naugles didn't hurt. But really, when I go there and get a beef burrito ( I prefer green sauce) fries, or even a burger, it is the same as it was when I first peddled my bike down there long ago.

Naugles secret or not so secret ingredient was ortega diced chiles that could be had on anything. Their macho nachos were the bomb. They even used real cheese. Sorry..no pump.

#277 8 years ago

Naugles may have very well invented macho nachos. I had never heard that term before..

Or found a plate so much to my liking.

#278 8 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

Seems like someone I know bought a place here too for those reasons....... If you ever retire one day.

Talk to my wife! Ive been ready for years!

#279 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

I will second RAX, I loved that place when I was a kid.
    But my fav was Skippers. Used to be able to still get it all the way up in Grants Pass (6 hour drive) but it closed a year ago or so. According to the website it looks like their branding was bought out and they are making a small comeback, just nothing close to me. Closest thing to them is Ivars when I fly thru Seattle airport.
    Skippers_sign,_Pocatello,_Idaho.jpg

How is it that skippers went away but long John silvers is still around?
    I loved skippers as a kid.
    I have not eaten at a long John silvers in 15 years or more and they are all over near me.

#280 8 years ago

I've got a porterhouse fresh off the grill and I am still thinking of Senor Naugle. Come on man!

#281 8 years ago

Interesting story about Naugles. There is a place where I live called BT's Buns & Torts that is essentially Naugles under another name.

http://ocmexfood.blogspot.com/2009/08/buns-torts.html has a story about it. "...It's run by Jeff Naugle, who I believe is a nephew to Dick Naugle, the founder of the much loved Naugles chain."

Uses the same recipes too. Yum, yum! A couple years ago they changed their pricing to include the sales tax in the menu price and all items end with 0 or 5 so they never deal with pennies, mostly only quarters or even money. Nice touch.

Some pics...
    BTs Buns and Torts Visalia Calif.jpgBTs Buns and Torts Visalia Calif.jpg
    BTs Buns and Torts Sign Visalia Calif.jpgBTs Buns and Torts Sign Visalia Calif.jpg

#282 8 years ago

Shoney's had a great breakfast buffet! Shakey's Pizza had great food and an awesome arcade and Showbiz Pizza Place was "The Bomb".
    Now as an adult I remember The Ground Round and Bonanza. Around here we also had this place called Nino's Steak House. I miss it.

#283 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

I am so glad they are still around somewhere but I really miss our Tastee Freez drive in as well as Mr Mikes steak house. Makes my mouth water just thinking about them. Such good eats and memories.....

Mr Mikes 15 mins from my house, in Airdrie... If its the same one...

#284 8 years ago

You're lucky!!

#285 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Mr Mikes 15 mins from my house, in Airdrie... If its the same one...

I just hope the Cactus Club Cafe doesn't shut down ... the one south of the Airport is my go to when I'm in Calgary

#286 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Both Farrell's and Friendly's had mall locations in the '70's and '80's but even more stand-alone restaurants/Ice Cream Parlors.
    Friendly's still survives close to where they started from in the Northeast while Farrell's is making a comeback with locations in California.

Thanks! It was Farrell's!

#287 8 years ago

My favorite place in Minnesota, now gone. What an awesome spot.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

And these two places from the Dallas area.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#288 8 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Are all the Cici's pizzas gone? I made it through college on their $1.99 buffet. Two bucks to take care of both lunch and dinner (lunner?) A few games in the back. Could not be beat!

There's 3 within 15 miles of me. They are all over in SC.

#289 8 years ago

Roy Rogers used to be all but extinct, but it's making a comeback in Virginia. There are two near me now in Manassas, and there are a bunch along I-95 at least as far as Maryland and off of I-81. great fried chicken, great roast beef sandwich, pretty decent (for fast food) burgers and fries and chicken sandwiches.

#290 8 years ago

Really miss the ODI in Silverthorne. Great ambiance and really good food. ODI.jpgODI.jpg

#291 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

Mr Mikes steak house. Makes my mouth water just thinking about them.

There are 25 Mr. Mikes in Western Canada. The closest 1 to you would be in Langley, maybe Coquitlam?

#292 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

In good news I have been told that Del Taco is now going nationwide. The same one that has been near me since the late 60s is still in operation and I had lunch there yesterday. It was very good and the food is identical to what is was over fourty years ago. They have added some items along the way, but they never felt the need to change fries or anything else. Good, fresh, cheap fast food. One of the reasons I don't do Taco Bell.

Good news indeed! Too many fun taco chains that never made it to the northeast... Taco John's would be another one I'd love to see out here.

Quoted from usandthem:

I'm with you on that thought - I try to save chain food for short runways and dollar menus. Unfortunately, it'd be pretty tough for us to commiserate and bond on local spots... for instance, my fav Italian restaurant ever was Portofino's in Lancaster, PA. It's a lame sports bar now, but I'd be shocked if anyone on here had ever been there or remembered it.

And while I feel you, Darden put a lot of money in my pocket over the years installing and servicing area OG/RL/LH phone systems. Mom and Pop shops actually cost me quite a bit by going bankrupt after my company had installed or repaired their gear. Over my 8 years in business, I'd be surprised if I broke even on the gross from work I did for independent restaurants but ALWAYS made money off the chains. Don't even get me started on hotels.

#293 8 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

You can't really say that *all* chains blow because it isn't true. At a minimum that is a bit of hyperbole. The one advantage to a chain, at least in theory, is that you can go to one in some other city and know what kind of food they have and what it will taste like if you had eaten at one of their restaurants previously.

I love "discovering" hole in the wall / Mom and Pop type restaurants too, as they definitely have the potential to be better than chains. But believe me, there are plenty of Mom and Pop restaurants that "blow."

#294 8 years ago

Weren't Steak and Ale and Bennigan's part of the same company? Sad to see them go.

UPDATE:

Looks like a comeback for Steak & Ale!!

https://www.facebook.com/steakandalerestaurant

#295 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

You can't really say that *all* chains blow because it isn't true. At a minimum that is a bit of hyperbole. The one advantage to a chain, at least in theory, is that you can go to one in some other city and know what kind of food they have and what it will taste like if you had eaten at one of their restaurants previously.
    I love "discovering" hole in the wall / Mom and Pop type restaurants too, as they definitely have the potential to be better than chains. But believe me, there are plenty of Mom and Pop restaurants that "blow."

Okay. You make a reasonable point. You do know exactly what kind of mediocrity you can expect from one chain location to another.

#296 8 years ago

Mountain jacks for prime rib and mr. hot dog for double doubles

#297 8 years ago

Not sure if these were any good but I remember going to these as a kid.

goldenbear.jpggoldenbear.jpgCA4444.jpgCA4444.jpg

#298 8 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Pizza Hut. It's all pickup or home delivery now (in Sydney at least) but I used to love going to their all you can eat restaurants. I always took the all you can eat thing too literally though- without fail I would eat until I was sick.

When I lived in Sydney, there was a Pizza Hut literally right across the street from me. I ate there several times a week.

#299 8 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Okay. You make a reasonable point. You do know exactly what kind of mediocrity you can expect from one chain location to another.

#300 8 years ago

Arby's when they had *real* roast beef sandwiches.
    When Arby's changed to their processed junk - a few local restaurants didn't go with the flow... changed their names to Barnard's and continued to serve real roast beef sandwiches. Unfortunately, none of them survived.

How about Chubbyville - the next McD and Burger King competitor. Fizzled without a trace.

There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-most-favorite-now-defunct-restaurant/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.