(Topic ID: 132237)

What was your most favorite now defunct restaurant?

By eggbert52

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JWJr
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E1DA40B8-D8E6-4590-A48C-3684634698D4 (resized).jpeg
    4F3E782D-8C2F-4BC6-8830-775124D829CE (resized).jpeg
    Carrolls_Restaurant (resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Lum's_hot_dog_restaurant_Fort_Lauderdale,_Florida_(resized).jpg
    Naugels.gif
    growlers.jpg
    KC2.jpg
    KC1.jpg
    mrsteak.jpg
    img009.jpg
    FOWL20PLAY20GAME1.jpg
    Old_Country_Buffet.jpg
    IMG_0163_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #51 8 years ago

I miss HoJo's all the fried clams you can eat. None are left in this part of the country.

clams.jpgclams.jpg

#52 8 years ago

El Torito Mexican restaurant in Massapequa, NY (and a few others on Long Island). Their food was great and they made THE BEST DEEP-FRIED ICE CREAM EVER!

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

They still advertise and exist in KY

Well that would make sense as that's where I was! I see now there's some in TN too so I'll have to visit. Wonder if they still have games

#54 8 years ago

Chili My Soul in Encino. Used to go there whenever I went to LA.

7227796.JPG7227796.JPG

22816720E.jpg22816720E.jpg

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Well that would make sense as that's where I was! I see now there's some in TN too so I'll have to visit. Wonder if they still have games

The one near me just has redemption games and maybe a pop a shot.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Are all the Cici's pizzas gone? I made it through college on their $1.99 buffet. Two bucks to take care of both lunch and dinner (lunner?) A few games in the back. Could not be beat!

One in winchester , va

#58 8 years ago

Manero's Restaurant Steakhouse in Paramus NJ Rt 17 South back in the '60's had the best burgers ever. Only found in Florida now I believe.

#59 8 years ago

H. Salt Esquire..... Best Halibut fish and chips.

#60 8 years ago

Olive Garden.......none left in Canada.

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Are all the Cici's pizzas gone? I made it through college on their $1.99 buffet. Two bucks to take care of both lunch and dinner (lunner?) A few games in the back. Could not be beat!

We still have Cici's here in Indy.

#62 8 years ago

roll-n-roaster and beefsteak Charlie's.

#63 8 years ago

We have Cici's in Texas too.

#64 8 years ago

I'm proud to say we no longer have Cici's in MN.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I was born and raised in Chicago. I can't even consider calling that stuff pizza.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Olive Garden.......none left in Canada.

Hate to correct you, but. There are 6 Olive Gardens still in Canada. 2 in Edmonton, 1 in Calgary, 1 in Langley, & 2 in Winnipeg.

Winterpeg is a hell of a long drive from Georgian Bay, it might make for a nice trip!.

#67 8 years ago

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor

I know there are some still in California, but I remember the one in Louisville being a place to stop before the movies or birthday parties.

#68 8 years ago

Gertie's Ice Cream Parlor on Chicago's South Side. It was right next to the Colony Theatre.

#69 8 years ago

Roy Fishers in North Little Rock, AR - best onion rings I've ever had in my life!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#70 8 years ago

Mine would be the Tom Sarris' Orleans House near Washington, DC. Home to a largest salad bar I'd ever seen outside Vegas (and in the shape of a steamboat), plus slabs of mouth-watering prime rib

Funny how I never knew some of the others mentioned were chain restaurants. I recall hucking peanut shells on the floor at Ground Round, eating the delicious brownie-bottom pies at Hojo's, sprinkling a little vinegar on some Arthur Treachers, or having the world's largest birthday sundae at Farrell's. Good memories...

dca_tom-sarris-orleans-house_jantzen.jpgdca_tom-sarris-orleans-house_jantzen.jpg

tom_sarris_steamboat_salad.jpgtom_sarris_steamboat_salad.jpg

#71 8 years ago

Chi Chi's and Lone Star, both are long gone in B.C., loved them both.

Chi Chi's.jpgChi Chi's.jpg

lone-star-texas-grill.jpglone-star-texas-grill.jpg

#72 8 years ago

There was a diner in Sedalia from the 1950s called The Wheel Inn, and their specialty was a hamburger with peanut butter on it. They had great shakes, too.

wheel_inn.jpgwheel_inn.jpg

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

Chi Chi's and Lone Star, both are long gone in B.C., loved them both.
    Chi Chi's.jpg
    lone-star-texas-grill.jpg

Chi Chi's is still very much alive outside of North America
    http://www.chichis.be/places.html

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

what do your poor college students eat?

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

hamburger with peanut butter

#77 8 years ago

Swensens ice cream parlor, Bill Johnson's Big Apple

#78 8 years ago

The satellite
    Russo's Restaurant - bridge st.
    Fables
    Glass hut
    Roaring 20's pizza (Mighty Wurlitzer Organ)
    to name a few..in our area

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It's hard to make a comparison to what it was like before, because it was almost 30 years ago that I was there last.

It has been over 40 years since I went to Farrell's but I do remember they had pinball machines.

#80 8 years ago

Bob's Big Boy Restaurant. The seasoned burgers were great and the strawberry pie was the best.

#81 8 years ago

Chicken Delight
    "Don't cook tonight ,call Chicken Delight ! "

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

what do your poor college students eat?

Ramen noodles must have driven them out of business.

That's what I thought, too, until I tried one.

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Pizza Hut. It's all pickup or home delivery now (in Sydney at least) but I used to love going to their all you can eat restaurants. I always took the all you can eat thing too literally though- without fail I would eat until I was sick.

yeah I hear ya !!! we used to smash the desert bar, chocolate moose all day long!!!

#84 8 years ago

Klinkerdagger, Bickerstaff and Petts. Steak house on the north end of Seattle. Dessert was fabulous after a good steak.

#85 8 years ago

Bullwinkle's in Santa Clara, CA. This place used to put Chuckee Cheese to shame. Similar concept, but 1000 times better in every way. Best deep dish pizza. Best desserts. Best arcade. Best atmosphere, theme, charm. It was my favorite place on the planet when I was a kid. I'm sure I'm not the only who remembers this place fondly.

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinB:

Did your Ground Round bring every table a basket of popcorn, or was that exclusive to the one that was local to me?

Quoted from Timerider:

Popcorn & peanuts... and you threw the peanut shells on the floor. (which would never fly in today's litigious society)

I remember popcorn. Not sure on the peanuts but Texas Roadhouse lets you throw them on the floor. Some lady tried to sue them and she lost.

#87 8 years ago

There are still Bullwinkels in Juneau. And they have pins.

#88 8 years ago

Seal, I really like Texas Roadhouse and I'm glad she lost. I was just in Tallahassee a few months back and we sometimes eat at the Texas Roadhouse. Here is another place FSU fans will remember well before it turned into a dorm:

dnd0676.jpgdnd0676.jpg

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from karmalord:

Place I loved to go to as a kid in Portland.

Farrells_pic_1.jpgFarrells_pic_3.jpgFarrells_pic_2.jpg

new one opened here in sacramento too. if you ever get this way look me up and we can go there and tackle the zoo.

#90 8 years ago

pupNtaco.jpgpupNtaco.jpg

#91 8 years ago

So many great places are gone and yet Dairy Queen is still here pumping out terrible food and fake ice cream made of who knows what. How about a thread on places we wish were defunct?

I remember Roy Rogers restaurants as a kid. I just looked them up. They have none down here in Florida or outside the northeast for that matter. Glad to see they are still around though.

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

H. Salt Esquire..... Best Halibut fish and chips.

There is still one open here in Sacramento. I keep meaning to get by there. A childhood favorite.

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

How about a thread on places we wish were defunct?

McDonalds might as well be defunct. They used to make fresh hamburgers and tasty fries. Now they pull their pre-cooked meat patties out of a drawer and cook their fries in toxic oil.

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It has been over 40 years since I went to Farrell's but I do remember they had pinball machines.

Brother, we are getting old.

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Brother, we are getting old.

Nah, it was like yesterday.

#96 8 years ago

Shakeys Pizza. A staple as a kid. My kids were lucky enough to eat there before the last Milwaukee location closed. Think there might be a few left down south. I miss the mojos...
    shakeysguy.jpgshakeysguy.jpg

#97 8 years ago

I grew up in the so-cal area. I'll throw another to Naugles, but also there was this family restaurant, cafe style called BUFFY'S I really liked as a kid.

Another one that is but isn't dead, depending on your definition of it -- Bob's Big Boy. The original run of them seemed to fold up and die out west, but for a short time one re-opened back in the late 90s in San Marcos for a couple years and folded. Some time period years later I found there was one in Temecula (maybe still here) off I15 I ate at once.

Now here's where I get into dead but not (and damn I wish it were dead as it's an insult to the name) is that where I am now in Louisville, some douche named Frisch bought the Big Boy name and logo and has a chain of them here in town. I flipped my shit when I saw there was one 3mi from my home when I first moved here around Christmas of 02. I went in and ordered the classic Big Boy burger and tried to get the 'silver goblet' which is a big silver ice cream cup with a good chocolate shake. That got me a blank stare on the drink, but they had the malt still so I was like ok -- came in a paper cup, and didn't taste the same but was ok. So then the food shows up, and I was raving to my gf (now wife) about how awesome the food was talking up their secret sauce (which was like a mix of relish, ketchup and mayo if I recall) and I took this huge bite. YEEEEECK! I gagged and would have spit it out had I not been with her. It has Tartar sauce in it! Who the hell puts fish stick dip on a burger?! I got the waitress to complain and ask what that was, she said it was the big boy, and I was like that's supposed to have that secret sauce, and she said no it was always tartar. I gagged it down and never went back. Man that ruined a lot of memories. That Temecula one I actually went into about 5 years ago when I was back in CA for 3 years, it made the right burger at least.

#98 8 years ago

Yeah, we still have Shakeys and their mojos. Good stuff! What I really miss are a couple of local restaurants that had the best prime rib. The Rose and Crown and Charlie Browns.

#99 8 years ago

I know double post, but I have to ask.

Is it a coincidence? Chi-Chi's restaurant, and then in Louisville Ky there's a bottling and food plant that makes Chi Chis salsa and also this tub of taco mix. I love their salsa (hot) more than anything put it on all sorts of stuff. They do ship nationally as I could get it out in CA too. The logo is 100% identical with the red-white printing and that exact lettering font too on the bottle.

See?
    http://www.chichis.com/

The about thing on the page mentions born in Mexico and having a restaurant. IT could be the same, because the restaurant page has Belgian, maybe they bought the dead chain and went international? The site I linked there says it's the same salsa and other stuff they served at their restaurants.

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I remember Roy Rogers restaurants as a kid. I just looked them up. They have none down here in Florida or outside the northeast for that matter. Glad to see they are still around though.

There are still a couple of Roy Rogers on the NJ Turnpike. I loved it as a kid, but the rest stops are so filthy, I can't bring myself to try them.

There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-most-favorite-now-defunct-restaurant/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.