(Topic ID: 132237)

What was your most favorite now defunct restaurant?

By eggbert52

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JWJr
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E1DA40B8-D8E6-4590-A48C-3684634698D4 (resized).jpeg
    4F3E782D-8C2F-4BC6-8830-775124D829CE (resized).jpeg
    Carrolls_Restaurant (resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Lum's_hot_dog_restaurant_Fort_Lauderdale,_Florida_(resized).jpg
    Naugels.gif
    growlers.jpg
    KC2.jpg
    KC1.jpg
    mrsteak.jpg
    img009.jpg
    FOWL20PLAY20GAME1.jpg
    Old_Country_Buffet.jpg
    IMG_0163_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
    #1 8 years ago

And why? Mine is/was ESPN Zone. Granted, it's more of a bar than it is a restaurant but I had so many good times at the one in Vegas and New York City. Also, I do know there is actually one ESPN Zone left in Anaheim so it's not quite extinct. But for all practical purposes, the franchise itself is defunct.

alg_espn_zone.jpgalg_espn_zone.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Pizza Hut. It's all pickup or home delivery now (in Sydney at least) but I used to love going to their all you can eat restaurants. I always took the all you can eat thing too literally though- without fail I would eat until I was sick.

#3 8 years ago

Kerry Simon's Simon Kitchen & Bar at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas; we had a couple of spectacular New Year's Eve dinners there, and then our wedding reception.

A close second...

#4 8 years ago

The Ground Round.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5 8 years ago

The Hilltop Steakhouse - route 1, Saugus Massachusetts.
    Died a painfully slow death over 20 years.

RIP

#6 8 years ago

RAX!

#7 8 years ago

Local to me [Columbia, MO] but Pasta Presto! had THE MOST amazing chicken alfredo EVER.
    Also, Everette's had the best French Dip I'd ever eaten.
    Miss them.

#8 8 years ago

So many to choose from but here are two of my old favorites:

Sisters_Chicken_Logo_web_white.JPGSisters_Chicken_Logo_web_white.JPG

fark_FZ4Ah5iTBESdJHusz4J1SYF3AbM.jpgfark_FZ4Ah5iTBESdJHusz4J1SYF3AbM.jpg

#9 8 years ago

Naugles and Nickerson Farms.

#10 8 years ago

The Western Sizzler!!!

#11 8 years ago

Ponderosa, cafeteria style, walk in Steak place. Opened in Canada in 1971 lasted until 1984. Most locations were bought by another company and converted them to Red Lobster.
    In British Columbia there were Bino's Family Restaurants, 1 in almost every city, like a Dennys but nicer.
    In Vancouver, Fogg & Suds, they might still have 2 locations, they used to have many restaurants.

#12 8 years ago

Ground Round was the first one to come to my mind too. I used to love that place as a kid.

#13 8 years ago

Zantigo's. Tho I hear there are a few in MN

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I concur with Naugles. Lots of fond memories and cheap meals there. Sigh!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Ponderosa, cafeteria style, walk in Steak place.

Still quite a few around Orlando.

A lot of these places still have a restaurant or two around. Most are a regional thing.

Two more that I miss but are still around in the Cleveland area:

19treacher.jpg19treacher.jpg

img_2473.jpgimg_2473.jpg

I would kill for a Romanburger from Mr. Hero.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

The Ground Round.
    image.jpg

Quoted from SealClubber:

Ground Round was the first one to come to my mind too. I used to love that place as a kid.

Did your Ground Round bring every table a basket of popcorn, or was that exclusive to the one that was local to me?

#17 8 years ago

ChiChi's

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinB:

Did your Ground Round bring every table a basket of popcorn, or was that exclusive to the one that was local to me?

Popcorn & peanuts... and you threw the peanut shells on the floor. (which would never fly in today's litigious society)

#19 8 years ago

Mission Trujillo! The best Mexican restaurant ever in Denver area. It will never be topped!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#20 8 years ago

throwing shells on the floor was what I remember about the ground round. As a kid that was special

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

There are still 5 here. One right in my hometown. I've never been there.

I miss Rax and Jungle Jim's in Orlando.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

There are still Ground Round's in Fargo and Grand Forks, ND. My old lady loves that place.

#23 8 years ago

Circus Restaurant in Cary, NC....Closed down 3 years ago I grew up across the street from it when it was originally a Dairy Queen. Best hamburgers ever!

100_9137.jpg100_9137.jpg

#24 8 years ago

Another vote for Naugles!

Messages_Image1720898026.pngMessages_Image1720898026.png

#25 8 years ago

Wag's. Would spend hours there.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#27 8 years ago

Place I loved to go to as a kid in Portland.

Farrells_pic_1.jpgFarrells_pic_1.jpg

Farrells_pic_3.jpgFarrells_pic_3.jpg

Farrells_pic_2.jpgFarrells_pic_2.jpg

#28 8 years ago

Farrell's re-opened down here.

http://www.farrellsusa.com/

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from He-Man40:

Wag's. Would spend hours there.
    image.jpg

The one by the old St. Charles Mall?

#30 8 years ago

Still one in Joliet, IL dunno how many are left.

#31 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Ponderosa, cafeteria style, walk in Steak place. .

We had one in Burnsville, and the food was outstanding. Sadly, it is gone. There was a Rax near it, that was also good. There were good & bad Rax places. It all depended on how thin the roast beef was sliced.

Near it was an oddball location of a Robin's Donuts, which had great sandwiches(and donuts).

All 3 places I mentioned in Burnsville were almost within walking distance of each other.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

There used to be a Zantigo's within walking distance of where I live now. Turned into a Taco Bell at around the late 80s(?). But Zantigo came back a few years ago with few locations & the food is darn good. Sadly, they discontinued my favorite chili bowl.

#34 8 years ago

The Pine Room in Pine City MN, great porter house steak, The Chinese Lantern in Duluth MN, great prime rib.

LTG : )

#35 8 years ago

Bonanza Steakhouse and Buffet

#36 8 years ago

The Captains Steak Joynt in Milwaukee, WI. I don't know what I miss more, that amazing cheese fondue appetizer or rummaging through the treasure chest at the end of the meal for some crappy trinkets!

#37 8 years ago

Mars 2112.. there was one in woodfield mall in Schaumburg, IL and a couple in New York. Not so much for it's food, but its was the coolest themed restaurant I've ever been in. If I ever theme a basement, it's going to be themed after it
    mars2112-5[1].jpegmars2112-5[1].jpeg

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

+1 on Naugles. One opened near my home in the early '80s and then Del Taco bought them out. Now the place is a Starbucks (urp). Sorry, I threw up a little there.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Farrell's re-opened down here.
    http://www.farrellsusa.com/

Have you tried it since the came back? I keep meaning to try the one in Buena park, but I never seem to have an opportunity to.
    A new one is supposed to open in Los Cerritos Mall next year, which is funny because there was one there in the '70s and early eighties.

#40 8 years ago

Showbiz Pizza!

If you were a fan there is a pretty good documentary on its rise and decline that used to be on Netflix -

http://www.rockafiremovie.com/home.php
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Have you tried it since the came back? I keep meaning to try the one in Buena park, but I never seem to have an opportunity to.
    A new one is supposed to open in Los Cerritos Mall next year, which is funny because there was one there in the '70s and early eighties.

Yep. It was crowded like crazy when we went. Was pretty good too. Prices are high. But it was good and fun. It's hard to make a comparison to what it was like before, because it was almost 30 years ago that I was there last.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from karmalord:

Place I loved to go to as a kid in Portland.

Farrells_pic_1.jpgFarrells_pic_3.jpgFarrells_pic_2.jpg

That was my pick. Used to go to one when I was very young - they had a candy selection in the waiting area and during birthdays they would do the sing/band thing but some dude would come out with a big ass bass drum and wack the hell out of it. Scared me to death!

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

The Captains Steak Joynt in Milwaukee, WI. I don't know what I miss more, that amazing cheese fondue appetizer or rummaging through the treasure chest at the end of the meal for some crappy trinkets!

There was on the south side of Milwaukee - by Southgate that we used to go through. Great place.

#45 8 years ago

Something unique to my area and they have been closed a long time: Milligan's
    http://photos.metrojacksonville.com/photos/2031572351_tzn98QS-M.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#47 8 years ago

Are all the Cici's pizzas gone? I made it through college on their $1.99 buffet. Two bucks to take care of both lunch and dinner (lunner?) A few games in the back. Could not be beat!

#48 8 years ago

That's the first thing that comes to my mind as well. The hepatitis outbreak near Pittsburgh was the last nail in their coffin.

#49 8 years ago

Wyatts cafeteria

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Are all the Cici's pizzas gone? I made it through college on their $1.99 buffet. Two bucks to take care of both lunch and dinner (lunner?) A few games in the back. Could not be beat!

They still advertise and exist in KY

There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-most-favorite-now-defunct-restaurant and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.