(Topic ID: 297496)

What is your least favorite Stern pin from the past decade or so?

By chickenscratch

85 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2D65021E-57C1-4F65-830E-D23AA9145D5A (resized).jpeg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 85 days ago

*edit Damnit, forget to add poll and realized just as I was hitting submit; not sure how to add now.

Saw the “fav Stern pin off last few years” thread on front page today, and figured we’d pull an opposite and talk about pins we just don’t seem to like and may or not even know why. Feel free to articulate if you do know why or even your speculation on why it just doesn’t gel for you, even if you can’t put your finger on it.

I searched, and have not seen this posted before, so hopefully it’s a fun and original subject full of woe and misery.

Two games I thought I’d love, but hated? DP and TMNT, and I know why. DP was sounds/callouts and even just the looks. Surprisingly it just all through me off, just instant no-boner. Couldn’t/wouldn’t have it in my house. TMNT is probably about the same, I love them and love the theme song but I think the song on the pin would quickly drive be mad, for whatever reason. I enjoyed shooting DP a bit; Turtles didn’t even give me that. Probably just need to spend more time with both, but just don’t want to!

#2 85 days ago

GB pro, then GB LE, then GB Prem

#3 85 days ago

Led Zeppelin: so very disappointed with how sparse the whole game is.

Wrestlemania: not sure I understand what you want me to do with this.

BM66: I understand what to do and I don't want to do it for an hour.

That being said, I'll drop quarters in any of these games here and there.

#4 85 days ago

3-way tie for me:
    • Munsters
    • WWE

#5 85 days ago

WWE by a mile.

#6 85 days ago

Yeah..WWE does kinda blow.

But I love WOF so what do I know?

#8 85 days ago

There’s gonna be a lot of WWE and Munsters hate incoming in this thread, but I’ll go another route.

As a fairly huge fan of the traveling circus that is KISS (seen them over 20 times since 96, with another 2-3 to go with my kiddo) it’s such an inferior version of Aerosmith, it hurts… but I also saw KISS open for Aerosmith twice in the mid-2000s so maybe it was meant to be.

Aerosmith is better in toys, layout (slightly), animations (I know many hate AS animations, but look at KISS dots), skill shot (1 vs 0), and upgrades for the Prem/LE (while still having a far better Pro).

The major thing holding them both down is the lazy “shoot a random number of different color shots… because POINTS, and nothing to do with theme or shots” code. But in this instance, KISS sucks compared to AS in every other instance but is equally boring in code.

#9 85 days ago

WWE and the Munsters stand out as disappointments.

#10 85 days ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

There’s gonna be a lot of WWE and Munsters hate incoming in this thread, but I’ll go another route.

Quoted from John_I:

WWE and the Munsters stand out as disappointments.

My crystal ball is super polished today.

#11 85 days ago

OMG, I was having so much fun looking over the list of modern Sterns and remembering some really rotten games. Didn’t realize I so strongly disliked the following, I’ve developed an internal program that refuses to allow me to play any, ever again. You can stick bamboo under my fingernails and I won’t crack. I noticed there was usually a bad one every year and that Stern didn’t seem capable of predicting which titles would sell and which wouldn’t. Your mileage will vary. This exercise revealed I’m a pinball snob.

Worst Stern of the Year (there so frickin many of them)
    2007 WOF
    2008 IJ & CSI
    2009 NBA
    2010 BBH & Avatar
    2011 XFRMRS
    2012 Avengers
    2015 WWE & WNBJM
    2016 GB
    2019 Munsters
    2020 TMNT & LZ

#12 85 days ago

WWE was horrible, but I just assumed it would be; because wrastlin'.

#13 85 days ago

Mustang, WWE and Ghostbusters.

#14 85 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

GB pro, then GB LE, then GB Prem

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

OMG, I was having so much fun looking over the list of modern Sterns and remembering some really rotten games. Didn’t realize I so strongly disliked the following, I’ve developed an internal program that refuses to allow me to play any, ever again. You can stick bamboo under my fingernails and I won’t crack. I noticed there was usually a bad one every year and that Stern didn’t seem capable of predicting which titles would sell and which wouldn’t. Your mileage will vary. This exercise revealed I’m a pinball snob.
    Worst Stern of the Year (there so frickin many of them)
    2007 WOF
    2008 IJ & CSI
    2009 NBA
    2010 BBH & Avatar
    2011 XFRMRS
    2012 Avengers
    2015 WWE & WNBJM
    2016 GB
    2019 Munsters
    2020 TMNT & LZ

Quoted from roffels:

Mustang, WWE and Ghostbusters.

Do you all feel this opinion about GB with the newer code, or did ya’ll last play with old code? I was shocked at how much I liked GB when I played a Premium with new code last week.

#15 85 days ago
    Quoted from chickenscratch:

Do you all feel the same about GB with the newer code, or did ya’ll last play with old code? I was shocked at how much I liked GB when I played a Premium with new code last week.

#16 85 days ago

Of the ones I've played, GoTG or Munsters.

#17 85 days ago

Do you all feel this opinion about GB with the newer code, or did ya’ll last play with old code? I was shocked at how much I liked GB when I played a Premium with new code last week.

I don't like the shots, I have no issue with the code or art. If I don't like shooting a pin, all the code in the world won't help me enjoy it.

#18 85 days ago

WWE
    Munsters
    BKSOR premium/LE
    LZ Pro

#19 85 days ago

When did they make Monopoly? Haha. That one.

#20 85 days ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

When did they make Monopoly? Haha. That one.

20 years ago, close enough. It has some nice shots but overall a stinker indeed.

...or did ya’ll last play with old code?

Code wasn't the real issue for me.
    I have played it since but not a ton; but of course I actively avoid it now.

#21 85 days ago

Beatles

#22 85 days ago

Are we excluding the home pins?

#23 85 days ago

*edit Damnit, forget to add poll and realized just as I was hitting submit; not sure how to add now.

I think you can click add a poll to this now that you made it

2D65021E-57C1-4F65-830E-D23AA9145D5A (resized).jpeg
    #24 85 days ago

I haven't played all titles, but WOF was the worst.

#25 85 days ago

Munsters
    I never played a game we’re the ball bounce around more then in rolled

#27 85 days ago

Mustang, Monopoly and GotG are my least favorites, but I'll still play them every now and again. I love JP, but I also don't play it a lot at arcades because it's the kind of deep, brutal machine you need to play over and over in a home environment. Underdog Sterns I can't help but dig for some reason: Indiana Jones, Family Guy and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I have more fun with those than some of the top titles.

#28 84 days ago

Turtles is horrible; i also have no time for GOTG or Star Wars

I own GB and LZ premiums so you’d expect me to be supportive of them, but both are genuinely great. I have not stopped playing LZ since I got it in April

#29 84 days ago

Guardians of the Galaxy was too complicated off the bat for me to play and I was confused and bored before the game was over. It’s the worst one I’ve played.

#30 84 days ago

Game of thrones. Good show, snoozefest pin.

Tried to like it but couldn't. Boring fan layout, no fun toys and a bland mini playfield obstructing like half of the regular playfield. Also the DMD animations are ugly and look like a blob of red puke. Pile of crap game imo.

#31 84 days ago

Munsters! I was hopping for a NIB alternative to TAF. Not sure what I got. So much potential as a theme.

#32 84 days ago

Stranger Things for me, I love the show and was super let down.

Joe
    (AceJedi)

#33 84 days ago

Well Whoa Nellie, Pabst and Primus are a given, then Rolling Stones, Wrestling and Kiss and The Beatles. Mostly due to theme. I mean I can have fun playing almost any pin. With the exception of EM's of course.

#34 84 days ago

Aerosmith and Avengers Infinity Quest. Fight me... Actually, anything from Elwin. I'm not a fan of Jurassic Park (the new one, old one was awesome) or Iron Maiden either.

#35 84 days ago

To me disappointing means it let me down.

WWE was always going to be meh. If anything it surpassed expectations.

Same with Mustang.

Disappointing:

- Deadpool head and shoulders above everything else. And I don’t know exactly why. I just couldn’t stand it after a week or so. Every game just ended being the same.

- Munsters was great on so many levels- theme, art and layout were brilliant (no hyperbole - just fact). Code was the huge disappointment and killed an otherwise brilliant game. Such a shame.

- Ghostbusters - probably combine both reasons above.

#36 84 days ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

Aerosmith and Avengers Infinity Quest. Fight me... Actually, anything from Elwin. I'm not a fan of Jurassic Park (the new one, old one was awesome) or Iron Maiden either.

Wow. I was literally writing that all those games surprised me on the upside. Especially Aerosmith. Had no expectations at all, and miss it.

#37 84 days ago

edit Damnit, forget to add poll and realized just as I was hitting submit; not sure how to add now

You can edit the first post and add a poll or change the title.

#38 84 days ago

I’ve not played WWE yet.

I’m voting the the new games

Mando (why doesn’t it move?). I’m not that impressed with the gameplay especially the upper PF (pro).

Led Zep (tell me you are phoning it in without telling me you are phoning it in).

AIQ (it’s complicated).

#39 84 days ago

GB... waste of the one of the best licenses ever (and yes I had one on loan for a while so its not like I didnt play it)

Poor design and code "fixed" by adding 150 ball saves for all the BS drains.

Did a great job on the art but thats about it.

#40 84 days ago

Hated DP and Stranger Things at first but like them now after playing more. Loved GB at first but then grew to hate it after many plays. Tried to give it another chance a little while ago but nope.

#41 84 days ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

GB... waste of the one of the best licenses ever (and yes I had one on loan for a while so its not like I didnt play it)
    Poor design and code "fixed" by adding 150 ball saves for all the BS drains.
    Did a great job on the art but thats about it.

I think the design was ok, but nothing short of a center post was ever going to fix that flipper gap. The captive balls were also at a bad angle and the rules for them were far too difficult (regarding playfield x). GB also had non adjustable ladder difficulty which I really disliked.

Rob

#42 84 days ago

BKSOR

#43 84 days ago

IJ. What a snooze fest. Waste of one of the greatest licenses ever. Only 100% working game that I ever walked away from mid game. Every time I see it (which thankfully is rare) I play it again to make sure I didn’t miss anything … but nope.

#44 84 days ago
    Quoted from PBFan:

IJ. What a snooze fest. Waste of one of the greatest licenses ever. Only 100% working game that I ever walked away from mid game. Every time I see it (which thankfully is rare) I play it again to make sure I didn’t miss anything … but nope.

It’s not that bad imo.

Did you know someone modified the code to play the old IJ rules?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-software-rewrite-the-journey

#45 84 days ago

Rose scented turds are still turds,Ghostbusturds is the king of turds.id rather have a Rogo if prices are the same.

#46 84 days ago

Have only played the Pro for a short time but would be LZ for me. Its just so bare in the middle and I didnt find it that fun to shoot. But of course i have had initial feelings like that about pins and later came around. Like SW. i love SW and initially did not.

#47 84 days ago

The actual pinball part of Iron Maiden was kinda neat. I absolutely hated the music and the Eddie theme stuff.

There was some Spiderman game that I played and hated. Maybe it was just the machine I was on, but it seemed really dark and not fun at all.

#48 84 days ago

I may be in the minority but I actually enjoy all of the Stern machines. My least favorite is WWE, but all of the Stern games are like a fine wine and tend to get better with age. Ghostbusters is in my top 5-great game(super packed), WOF-awesome!, BKSOR-great!, 24/CSI-Yes!, IJ-Classic!, Led Zeppelin while bare is actually one of the best layouts ever and allows for monster flow(the geometry with ramps & combos is epic!). Beatles-bring it on!, Star Wars Home Edition-Fun!

#49 84 days ago
    Quoted from SirMachismo:

I think you can click add a poll to this now that you made it[quoted image]

Hmm, maybe I need to do it from a PC as just not seeing those options on mobile when in edit mode. Will try a bit later.

#50 84 days ago

A lot of shit pins released the last couple of years with the exception of Deadpool, Iron Maiden and BKSOR. My vote for king of the turds is The Munsters.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside