Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

popeye.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 12 years ago

Well knowing my history it is hard to say that any pin is a keeper for me, but so far I've owned SM the longest, Tron LE really keeps me coming back for more, and MB is just a lot of fun.

I haven't owned it, and don't plan to, but TAF is very overrated.

#62 12 years ago
    Quoted from Espo66:

I think keeper is overrated!

Ha! As someone who loves switching out pins and trying something new, gotta agree with you here!

#63 12 years ago

It seems that 90% of the time when someone calls MM "overrated" it is based on the price that the pin commands. I think it is one thing to say that a pin isn't worth the price that it commands, and quite another to say that it is overrated.

My understanding of the way the term overrated is being used here is to indicate that it is rated higher than it should be *regardless of price*.

And using that standard, there is no way MM is overrated in my opinion.

#80 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I rate pins on what they cost. there are a lot of cheap machines I prefer over expensive machines.

So if I like Fish Tales (1600ish machine) over Champion Pub (sold mine for 3200) I would say Champion Pub is over rated.

I understand you may prefer some cheaper games over more expensive ones. That means that one may be *overpriced*, which does not necessarily mean *overrated*.

Obviously the better a pin is and the higher it is rated, generally speaking it will cost more. But again, the price of a pin should not really have a bearing on whether it is overrated (on the Pinside Top 100 for example). How does the pin look, sound, play, is it deep, humorous, fun, etc. That's what a pin is rated on, not price. Price is a by product of those things, combined with supply and demand. Supply and demand (and therefore price) doesn't make a pin overrated....but it may make it overpriced.

If you agree that MM is the best pin ever made, can you also say that it is overrated? By definition, no, you can't.....even if it sells for a million bucks.

#81 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Can't agree 100% there. I think it's part of the equation. I don't own a BBB...but its it overrated? How can it not be? Plus 10K, I mean wow. I've played one before and I wasn't that impressed. Even if it was 30 on the Top100, I would still have to say it's overrated. Just my opinion.

This really doesn't make sense to me. Probably repeating myself, but really, who cares what it costs in terms of whether it is overrated? This thread isn't about what pins are *overpriced*, or not worth the asking price etc. Its about whether a pin is overrated (ie not worthy of it's high praise).

You are basically admitting above that you don't care how good BBB is, it's "overrated" to you simply because of the price, regardless of how it plays etc. "How could it not be" simply because of price, right?

Its the same thing that most people do with MM: they think it's overrated simply because it costs so much. People can't be objective because the price is always stuck in their head, and they can't get over it.

#86 12 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Rob T your correct with your comment. When I started this thread and asked what pin do you think is overrated i was not talking about price whatsoever. Lets say MM for an ex. Is this game great to play? Or is it all Hype? Price has nothing to do with it. Priced is based off of supply and demand (look at tronLE, BBB and MM). Highly sought after pins will command a large price tag and thats not what we are talking about. Please let this clear up the overrated discussion and keep to the subject..thx

Thanks for clearing that up once and for all.

#87 12 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

surprised at the amount of people that think AFM is overrated.

I love AFM myself, but I can understand why some people think that it is overrated. The layout is as basic as you can possibly get! There are no unique or particularly difficult shots.

Despite the above, I still think it is a great pin. The theme, call outs, art, humor, and even the simple rules all come together to make a really fun pin.

#93 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You are repeating yourself, and I will probably repeat myself if we keep going on. We don;t agree on the fundamental points of what makes pinball overrated. Therefore you always see me as wrong and you as right. So agree to disagree.

Well, since the OP has clarified that this thread has nothing to do with the price of the pin being part of whether it is overrated, your definition is obviously not consistent with his or the point of the thread.

Just sayin'.

#94 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

better is better independent of price. if you don't want to pay 50-100 more for an a title that you only like 10% more, that doesn't make the game any less great. I believe this is the law of diminishing returns if i remember correctly???

Bingo.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-keeper-overrated?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.