(Topic ID: 284323)

What is your favorite underrated pinball feature?

By skristof

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DD2FA355-66CE-43C6-924C-534273D96BEC (resized).jpeg
    4845CEA4-10B0-454E-A2BA-4C7124903759 (resized).jpeg
    02195F1C-4F40-4CA9-AF4F-268885CC5F89 (resized).jpeg
    flyaway targets (resized).jpg
    20201231_140918 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20201226_113057_org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid(1).jpg
    988778A3-3751-4D9C-93CE-052B41177615 (resized).jpeg
    2BF864FA-0E67-4520-AA45-55C921709F09 (resized).jpeg
    BLACK-HOLE-Pinball-Machine-GOTTLIEB-1981-Custom-LED-Excellent-03-csqu (resized).jpg
    20200920_193202 (resized).jpg
    20200920_193238 (resized).jpg

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 3 years ago

Drop targets and spinners.

#152 3 years ago

I love the flipper on the Apron in BW100

#153 3 years ago

TFTC door handle - looks cool and nicely tied into game.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #154 3 years ago

Black knight multiplayer bonus ball.

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lopa:

Black knight multiplayer bonus ball.

Preceded by loud bell chimes. Oh yeah baby

#156 3 years ago

I suggest you spend some serious time playing a homepin.
    There is a whole lot of appreciation to be given to many features (and full features).

(just brought home Heavy Metal)

#157 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I love saucer shots. Especially on classic Ballys. Just watching the ball swirl in and adding just a little more to your playing time.

I always liked that too. On Hot Wheels, I asked our sound guy, Matt Kern, to make a “swirl” sound effect... the more the ball swirls entering the saucer, the more swirl sound you get. Makes me happy. I’m not aware of another game that does this.

#158 3 years ago

Another underappreciated feature...

Star rollovers. Did anyone say this yet?

Here's an perfect example on one of my favorite shots in pinball. Plus the sound when you hit them is cool too.

Also like the ones in the Walking Dead.

20201231_140918 (resized).jpg20201231_140918 (resized).jpg
    #159 3 years ago

Orbits to a lock shot are f***ing awesome, like AC/DC (right) or Spider-Man (left).

Also traditional "deep" scoops like MET & Tron. Shallow scoops suck.

#160 3 years ago

I love the flashers on The Shadow

#161 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Here's an perfect example on one of my favorite shots in pinball. Plus the sound when you hit them is cool too.
    Also like the ones in the Walking Dead.[quoted image]

That picture is like a concentration of incredible design creativity. Inline drops hit with a captive ball, and the whole setup scores differently based on if you go through the lane or not.

#162 3 years ago

For some reason I’m always mesmerized when powering up TZ and watching the clock spin to 12:00.

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from VanishingVision:

That picture is like a concentration of incredible design creativity. Inline drops hit with a captive ball, and the whole setup scores differently based on if you go through the lane or not.

Plus, if you hit it just right, its repeatable.

#164 3 years ago

one underrated and rarely used feature is the flyaway targets .Only Bally Grand Slam and Speakeasy pinballs use these.

flyaway targets (resized).jpgflyaway targets (resized).jpg
    #165 3 years ago

Good single-ball games. The last single-ball game I can think of was Bad Cats (Williams, 1989) unless Premier/Gottlieb made one later I don't remember or don't know of. (The Beatles still has multiball, even though it's a street level game reminiscent of the sort of games made in the 1960s.)

#166 3 years ago

Kickbacks that shoot the ball back at the player, like F14 and Iron Man.

Playfields with no dimples.

#167 3 years ago

When you have a big game going and people crowd around to watch.

#168 3 years ago

Saucers. Drop targets that lead to saucers. Multiple drop targets that lead to multiple saucers.
    Old school bells and chimes of the game resetting and during game play when you collect bonuses etc....
    and gottlieb sounds like on Genie and Circus.

and f-14 tomcat because it's just Steve Ritchie awesomeness

oh... and the flying monkey should just be installed in every game for no reason whatsoever.

#169 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Also like the ones in the Walking Dead.[quoted image]

I’m with you on star roll overs. Especially on EMs
    I give them extra love with a second bulb and of course new stars.

Why I sold this game I’ll never know...

02195F1C-4F40-4CA9-AF4F-268885CC5F89 (resized).jpeg02195F1C-4F40-4CA9-AF4F-268885CC5F89 (resized).jpeg

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

I’m with you on star roll overs. Especially on EMs
    I give them extra love with a second bulb and of course new stars.
    [quoted image]

What game is that?

#171 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

What game is that?

4845CEA4-10B0-454E-A2BA-4C7124903759 (resized).jpeg4845CEA4-10B0-454E-A2BA-4C7124903759 (resized).jpegDD2FA355-66CE-43C6-924C-534273D96BEC (resized).jpegDD2FA355-66CE-43C6-924C-534273D96BEC (resized).jpeg
    #172 3 years ago

Playfields with no dimples.

Also Stern Star Trek and Last Action Hero kickbacks.

#173 3 years ago

Stand up target kickers like on Punk and Title Fight.
    The flyaways on Speakeasy and Grand Slam.
    The clangy chimes on 70s Williams machines.

#174 3 years ago

I skimmed through all the responses and as near as I can tell, not one mention of the Stern "Action Button." Hmmmm, imagine that?

For me, I love a machine that has a drop target that opens up a passageway when down. Whether it be an inline drop or a bank (Devil's Dare, Nine Ball). For my friends one of the most underrated features of a pinball machine they are competing on is ME. But I usually fix that after a few games.

#175 3 years ago

I love how the balls are staged for trooper multiball on Iron Maiden

#176 3 years ago
    Quoted from mikepmcs:

Drop targets that lead to saucers.

Hot Wheels has both of these features (two of the drop target/saucer combination)

#177 3 years ago

fan-less power supplies

#178 3 years ago

First world problems, but machines that aren't a full on computer inside. I hate waiting for the new games to boot up.

#179 3 years ago

You know.... physical ball locks. It is neat to see your ball held captive, and not just the game saying "ball locked." Not it's not. You just gave it back to me, you stupid machine.

#180 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

You know.... physical ball locks. It is neat to see your ball held captive, and not just the game saying "ball locked." Not it's not. You just gave it back to me, you stupid machine.

Even better, physical ball locks that can be stolen by the next player if you have failed to earn multi-ball, e.g. Sorcerer.

#181 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Even better, physical ball locks that can be stolen by the next player if you have failed to earn multi-ball, e.g. Sorcerer.

Doesn't TNA do this?

I'm pretty sure Time Machine also does this the way mine is set up.

#182 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Hot Wheels has both of these features (two of the drop target/saucer combination)

Thanks Josh! Looks like I'll be streaming Hot Wheels for tomorrow's workout selection.

#183 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I love the Venom ramp of SM the sound best shot in pinball my opinion. It’s so satisfying to hit and the sound effects and the especially the way it seems to hit Venom stop and change direction.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Im going to second that... that whole game shoots great.

I got sick of it with the long ass games but it always is fun to play when I see one.

#184 3 years ago

I'd like to see a full loop-the-loop ramp.(thought hotwheels might have one) and I really like the idea of a visible subway system. Like avengers but without the lock mech.

As for features I'd like to see more of: ramps and things that go over the normally unused real estate on the apron.

#185 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinfarmer:

I'd like to see a full loop-the-loop ramp.(thought hotwheels might have one)

From a 'don't have to take the glass off' perspective...that isn't really reliably possible except maybe on the shooter lane with it tilted up enough that if it doesn't make it, it comes back down to the shooter. And when I say shooter, I mean an actual plunger, not a coil/kicker.

There is the rollercoaster-esque ramp on Oktoberfest that is cool, but from listening to people talk about it, waiting for the balls to get through it gets old.

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

From a 'don't have to take the glass off' perspective...that isn't really reliably possible except maybe on the shooter lane with it tilted up enough that if it doesn't make it, it comes back down to the shooter. And when I say shooter, I mean an actual plunger, not a coil/kicker.
    There is the rollercoaster-esque ramp on Oktoberfest that is cool, but from listening to people talk about it, waiting for the balls to get through it gets old.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-the-hedgehog-spinball

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

[quoted image]

Sadly, I know the feeling.

#188 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Doesn't TNA do this?
    I'm pretty sure Time Machine also does this the way mine is set up.

Time Machine does not, each player has to light and make the locks individually. If I remember right, players who get a lock "stolen" have it immediately re-lit when it's their turn again.

This is also one of the early DE games with the nasty "feature" of resetting all your ball locks if you tilt.

#189 3 years ago
    Quoted from Matthew2015:

one underrated and rarely used feature is the flyaway targets .Only Bally Grand Slam and Speakeasy pinballs use these.
    [quoted image]

Doesn't Doctor Who technically have these as well? The Dalek targets behave like those.

#190 3 years ago

Not sure if already mentioned (and its an add on) but the UV lights on Stranger things are pretty badass.

#191 3 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

Doesn't Doctor Who technically have these as well? The Dalek targets behave like those.

Do they? Never owned one, I always assumed they were just flaps/gates with no switches on them

Quoted from Matthew2015:

Only Bally Grand Slam and Speakeasy pinballs use these.
    [quoted image]

Don't forget Zaccaria Clown has a moving Flyaway

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Do they? Never owned one, I always assumed they were just flaps/gates with no switches on them

They have switches to register idividual flaps as you're supposed to aim for specific Daleks for higher points, as well as hitting each one, to clear each wave.

#193 3 years ago

Real Knockers.
    That electronic screech is just garbage

#194 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

They have switches to register idividual flaps as you're supposed to aim for specific Daleks for higher points, as well as hitting each one, to clear each wave.

Gotcha so it funnels into one saucer or whatever mech it has back there; thanks.

#195 3 years ago

The ball lift on a woodrail. Don't know why but I enjoy manually pushing the ball up more than automatically kicking the ball to the shooter lane.

#196 3 years ago

Backboxes with chaser lights around the backglass: Space Invaders, Xenon, Vector, Black Hole, Mars God of War. I find Space Invaders in attract mode just mesmerizing. Any other's I'm forgetting?

#197 3 years ago
    Quoted from kayakkingoz:

Real Knockers.

For some reason on half the DE I have purchased they are missing and I always have to replace. Knockers rock!

Nothing like getting high score and hearing RAP-RAP-RAP.

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

Hear hear. Those coils that fire onto the side of pinball cabinets to create a knocking sound are cool, too.

Not just the sound, but you could usually feel it when it hit!

#199 3 years ago

Personal favorite: The "Little Demon" post on Fireball II (and Medusa and Strange science).

1 year later
    #200 1 year ago
    Quoted from kayakkingoz:

Real Knockers.

+1

This is one thing I like about American and JJP (and probably others).

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-favorite-underrated-pinball-feature/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.