(Topic ID: 284323)

What is your favorite underrated pinball feature?

By skristof

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DD2FA355-66CE-43C6-924C-534273D96BEC (resized).jpeg
    4845CEA4-10B0-454E-A2BA-4C7124903759 (resized).jpeg
    02195F1C-4F40-4CA9-AF4F-268885CC5F89 (resized).jpeg
    flyaway targets (resized).jpg
    20201231_140918 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20201226_113057_org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid(1).jpg
    988778A3-3751-4D9C-93CE-052B41177615 (resized).jpeg
    2BF864FA-0E67-4520-AA45-55C921709F09 (resized).jpeg
    BLACK-HOLE-Pinball-Machine-GOTTLIEB-1981-Custom-LED-Excellent-03-csqu (resized).jpg
    20200920_193202 (resized).jpg
    20200920_193238 (resized).jpg
    There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What about having multiple spinners in the same shot? I’ve only seen this in Blackout.
    I’m sure the modern designers could bring that back and add some pretty awesome rules to them.

JJPOTC Raise the Sails?

#102 3 years ago

Winged monkey in Woz

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from DrDQ:

JJPOTC Raise the Sails?

Yeah. And just realized on swords of fury too. But I’m thinking more fun than that. Like blackout.

Could involve a couple controlled gates so you could rip them both from either side, or just one or the other.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What about having multiple spinners in the same shot? I’ve only seen this in Blackout.
    I’m sure the modern designers could bring that back and add some pretty awesome rules to them.

And why not throw a inline standup target between them two spinners? Time based or depending on switch hits etc. Could be very frustrating and fun.

#105 3 years ago

Powerball in TZ.

#106 3 years ago

Scrambled eggs on rollercoaster tycoon.

#107 3 years ago

Hobbit: Smaug turning his head to talk and taunt....”lovely titles”.

Earning a chance for an extra ball, MM and AFM come to mind.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What about having multiple spinners in the same shot?

High Speed is another. Between that and Blackout you mentioned it seems we are hard pressed to even find a game with 3 spinners overall.

#109 3 years ago

On EMs, always thought it was neat that the length of the "over the top" feature is controlled by a blinker bulb.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

The satisfying clunk sound the mode shot makes on STTNG.

Yes, the neutral zone scoop on STTNG. “Thunk!” I love that shot.

Also, I love watching the bonus count off with chimes at the end of you ball on an EM.

#111 3 years ago

The most underrated feature in pinball is Pinside. I think too many people rather bitch about being moderated or how people are idiots for not sharing the same views. Where else can you go to talk about pins, find a fan club, or just look for a location to go play some games?

Actually my favorite thing is the glass tap. Always grabs your attention, even when you know its coming.

#112 3 years ago

Another underappreciated feature...

Timed-value spinner shots.

Specifically the one in Viking. If you can hit the spinner on a regular basis, it scores the spins at 1000 each (I believe.) After a moment, if you havent hit the spinner, the timer goes off and the value will drop. I also like how the saucer will help out by shooting the ball back down through the spinner to hold value.

#113 3 years ago

Color-changing GI, as with Space Station. The transformation of "Condition Green" never gets old. This type of gimmik seems to be coming around more thanks to controllable LEDs (to great effect on R&M) so maybe it won't be "underappreciated" much longer.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Another underappreciated feature...
    Timed-value spinner shots.

Somewhat similar on Nine Ball...working the value up & then hitting it lowers it.

Quoted from pinmister:

Can you imagine STTNG and others without it? The modders would be selling tons of lame extenders I mean lane extenders.

I meant moving gates like in EMs, Space Shuttle, SW Prem+ etc

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Queen II will have three spinners.

#116 3 years ago

Great under appreciated feature is pinball browser customization music and sound.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Somewhat similar on Nine Ball...working the value up & then hitting it lowers it.

I hear such good things about Stern Nine Ball. Watching lots of videos too. I've been debating on that or another Bally as my next machine.

#118 3 years ago

Old school Kickbacks when ball comes back

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I hear such good things about Stern Nine Ball. Watching lots of videos too. I've been debating on that or another Bally as my next machine.

Overrated imo. The floating spinner is fun with cool rules, but the drops take up too much of the game, and I feel like the MB lock is pure luck a la catacomb. It’s never grabbed me like the other classic sterns have.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Overrated imo. The floating spinner is fun with cool rules, but the drops take up too much of the game, and I feel like the MB lock is pure luck a la catacomb. It’s never grabbed me like the other classic sterns have.

Lock is much more manageable than Catacomb's, at least you have a chance with a bank shot. The 173k U-Turn is a bit of a wasted gimmick really.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

but the drops take up too much of the game

Interesting. Sometimes I feel this way about Barracora...

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Interesting. Sometimes I feel this way about Barracora...

those are broken up enough that I do not mind them. In Nine Ball they are the main feature of the game and I find myself never going for them. barracora is a much better game imo.

#123 3 years ago

The stuck ball. It has been around forever and no matter what era game or manufacturer, there it is. It is a little lazy too, just sitting there. Impervious to slaps, shakes, pokes, pushes, yelling, insults and all forms of cursing as it stares back, blankly. It taunts you with its blue steel. Poor player, you are hopeless against it. Oh how I love that little stuck ball feature.

#124 3 years ago

Diverters.
    It’s great when one shot feeds the ball to different places.

#125 3 years ago

Another thing I miss is the post with rubber just off the outlane where a nicely timed twack puts it back into the inlane. Example: IJ’s right outlane, Centaur’s either side, Fathom. This is lost in pinball today, and it’s a shame.

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Diverters.
    It’s great when one shot feeds the ball to different places.

Wish they would bring this back in new games, so simple and cool

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Wish they would bring this back in new games, so simple and cool

Several games have diverters R&M is the newest one that I can think of.

#128 3 years ago

Not sure how underrated they are, but reverse inlanes/outlanes, i.e. Fathom. Few things are cooler than nudging right back into the inlane, especially on Indiana Jones where you're rewarded for it.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from VanishingVision:

Not sure how underrated they are, but reverse inlanes/outlanes, i.e. Fathom. Few things are cooler than nudging right back into the inlane, especially on Indiana Jones where you're rewarded for it.

Also the bounce through the one way gate in outlanes of Centaur also Viking , not sure what others have it.

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Several games have diverters R&M is the newest one that I can think of.

Not many made in the last couple of years. Have not played R&M yet.

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Not many made in the last couple of years. Have not played R&M yet.

Dialed In!
    Wonka
    Elvira
    GnR
    TMNT
    SW

all have some type of diverter

SW has a fork ramp for example

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from VanishingVision:

Yes - 100% agree on that satisfaction of the IJ outline-inlane flow. I search out a game with a good skill based outlane that keeps the hope alive a little bit more after an outlane drain - games like WOZ where you can nudge your way back into the game are so fun.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Dialed In!
    Wonka
    Elvira
    GnR
    TMNT
    SW
    all have some type of diverter
    SW has a fork ramp for example

I like the one In Tales From Arabian Nights and Shadow

#135 3 years ago

Trap door in Haunted House

#136 3 years ago

I don't think I've seen anybody mention those up posts between the flippers (and sometimes the side out lanes) in many old EM games. For me, with my limited skills, that was always the best knowing that I couldn't drain down the middle with the post up.

Similarly, the zipper flippers that closed the gap was also great but unfortunately it made accurate shots difficult.

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Without a doubt the Star Wars Hyperloop. It is an engineering marvel and the design of the actual mech is very interesting.
    Never gets old for me

So true. Just wish it was better utilized in the game. I found it very difficult getting multiple balls flying around in the Hyperloop, however when I did, it was just f-ing amazing. Couldn't stop smiling. Nevertheless, definitely under-rated and rarely talked about.

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from jcg9998:

best knowing that I couldn't drain down the middle with the post up.

Unfortunately you still can and it’s really embarrassing when it happens. Haha

#139 3 years ago

I'm not sure what the name of this feature is but I call it 'coupled drop targets'.
    Like in Gtb Pinball Pool which has two sets of drop targets. If you hit one in one
    bank, its opposite on the other bank drops too. Must be an expensive feature
    as there is a seperate solenoid for each drop target.

Other features I like are electromagnets under the PF like Wms Torchy,
    vari-targets as in Pro Football and roto targets as in Gtb Circus. And my
    all time fave, zipper-flippers!

#140 3 years ago

The Bell on Fire!
    EM Roto targets
    Real backglass animation. Wheel on Scared Stiff, Cyclone. Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper clown etc.
    the balls pouring out on Beer Barrel Multiball on Oktoberfest!
    Cactus Canyon drop target shoot out. "The bad guy, shoot the bad guy!"

#141 3 years ago

I loved hitting the trap door mech on TOM.

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from jcg9998:

I don't think I've seen anybody mention those up posts between the flippers (and sometimes the side out lanes) in many old EM games.

Space Shuttle and Secret Service are two solid state that have it. And yes, embarrassing when a ball slips by with the flipper up.

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Space Shuttle and Secret Service are two solid state that have it. And yes, embarrassing when a ball slips by with the flipper up.

Also can happen on Paragon. I hate it when that happens. Paragon was one of the annoying machines with that area on the left near the bumper and a drain.

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from ghostbc:

Also the bounce through the one way gate in outlanes of Centaur also Viking , not sure what others have it.

These are fun and interesting as long as the tilt bob is in effect. It creates a risk/reward opportunity.

Otherwise some folks believe they're masters at these machines because they can move it around with no penalty.

#145 3 years ago

When I miss the left ramp on IMDN and the ball goes berserk in the bumpers .I like the bumpers up close like that just makes the shot more violent .

#146 3 years ago

Mirrored backglasses. Non-mirrored backglasses and translites with cool artwork are okay, but a mirrored backglass just screams PINBALL!! to me.

#147 3 years ago

The EM chimes on Time Machine, along with the animated scoring reel alphanumeric.
    Also the Bally/Willimas "Bong" on start up.

#148 3 years ago

The jump ramp on Robocop is always good.

#149 3 years ago

I always enjoy the sneaky flipper lanes that lead to an opening to the drain, like the right flipper lane on Gottlieb Atlantis:

Screenshot_20201226_113057_org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid(1).jpgScreenshot_20201226_113057_org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid(1).jpg
    #150 3 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

I like hearing and watching the reset of the score reels at the start of an EM game. Not really a "feature" of a particular game but fun and underated nonetheless.

Definitely one of my faves. You get to the point you can hear if the machine is having issues resetting.

I also appreciate outlane diverters. Duotron has one and it's practically invisible - a small font "Opens Gate" on the saucer and a little wire gate - no lights or flash or "Gate Open" indication at all. I often note how challenging it is to bet the ball back to the top to hit the A lane (B and C are in the inlanes) to light special, and the outlane diverter is a pretty simple process (saucer / outlane) to get another shot at it.

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-favorite-underrated-pinball-feature/page/3?hl=magno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.