(Topic ID: 284323)

What is your favorite underrated pinball feature?

By skristof

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DD2FA355-66CE-43C6-924C-534273D96BEC (resized).jpeg
    4845CEA4-10B0-454E-A2BA-4C7124903759 (resized).jpeg
    02195F1C-4F40-4CA9-AF4F-268885CC5F89 (resized).jpeg
    flyaway targets (resized).jpg
    20201231_140918 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20201226_113057_org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid(1).jpg
    988778A3-3751-4D9C-93CE-052B41177615 (resized).jpeg
    2BF864FA-0E67-4520-AA45-55C921709F09 (resized).jpeg
    BLACK-HOLE-Pinball-Machine-GOTTLIEB-1981-Custom-LED-Excellent-03-csqu (resized).jpg
    20200920_193202 (resized).jpg
    20200920_193238 (resized).jpg
    There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm on the other side that thinks knockers are the most overrated thing out there.

What about when they are used in creative ways like big valuable shots on gottliebs or how Houdini uses it to simulate gun shots in the bullet catch mode?

#52 3 years ago

Back box chaser lights.
    This is the best attract light show in pinball, looks like an old movie house or vegas.
    I've got all four, are there more games with chasers?
    Black Hole
    Xenon
    Space Invaders
    Vector.

20200920_193202 (resized).jpg20200920_193202 (resized).jpg20200920_193238 (resized).jpg20200920_193238 (resized).jpg

BLACK-HOLE-Pinball-Machine-GOTTLIEB-1981-Custom-LED-Excellent-03-csqu (resized).jpgBLACK-HOLE-Pinball-Machine-GOTTLIEB-1981-Custom-LED-Excellent-03-csqu (resized).jpg
    #53 3 years ago
    Quoted from EasternBloc:

I absolutely love seeing the spark of a switch contact behind a sling on an em.

This!... nice.

#54 3 years ago

I really enjoy the magnasave on the older games like black knight and pharaoh. Feels good when you catch the ball and release it at the right time to send it back to your flippers!

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What about when they are used in creative ways like big valuable shots on gottliebs...

I'm down with those.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

God i love knockers

Hear hear. Those coils that fire onto the side of pinball cabinets to create a knocking sound are cool, too.

#57 3 years ago

I enjoy physical mini-games like Bowling on The Big Lebowski, The Battlefield on The Shadow, or Jump Rope in Champion's Pub. With how expensive Ice Cold Beer has become, I'm surprised no one has tried to incorporate a mini version into a backbox. I had an idea for an updated firefighter game where you would have to play that mini game to put out fires and make rescues in a burning building.

#58 3 years ago

Things hand in addams is probably my top fav. Probably my second would be the cheese traps on mousin around. Love these types of ball locks.

#59 3 years ago

I enjoy the little Casio keyboard song at the end of a game on BSD.

#60 3 years ago

Inline drops for sure. I wish more modern games had them. Metallica is probably the most common example, but I love how they block the ramp in WOF or how they are used for the Danesi lock in TNA.

#61 3 years ago

Kick over holes on ‘65 Kings & Queens

#62 3 years ago

Magna save in Jungle Lord. Amazing feature.
    Pulsing magnets, enables passing left to right. I guess the closest thing to this is found in Twilight Zone.

#63 3 years ago

Inline drops are awesome, Paragon's are the best.
    You drop them for access to multiplier saucer then extra ball. So cool.

#64 3 years ago

The Start button, every time you push it random good things happen...except when you get 3 house balls, but then you can push the button again to erase the pain.

#65 3 years ago

BSD mist ball feature. Seeing the ball "magically" float forward over the pf make me smile every time.

#66 3 years ago

The satisfying clunk sound the mode shot makes on STTNG.

#67 3 years ago

I like the captive or messenger ball, especially when it’s tucked away somewhere and not the only thing to shoot for (I’m talking about you, Jubilee and Rogo!)

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Back box chaser lights.
    This is the best attract light show in pinball, looks like an old movie house or vegas.
    I've got all four, are there more games with chasers?
    Black Hole
    Xenon
    Space Invaders
    Vector.
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Mars God of War has those lights too. And I agree about inline drops, something they should bring back.

#69 3 years ago

1) Electronic sounds of early Bally SS's.
    2) The 2x 3x 4x 5x arrow inserts on same era games.

#70 3 years ago

I love the Venom ramp of SM the sound best shot in pinball my opinion. It’s so satisfying to hit and the sound effects and the especially the way it seems to hit Venom stop and change direction.

988778A3-3751-4D9C-93CE-052B41177615 (resized).jpeg988778A3-3751-4D9C-93CE-052B41177615 (resized).jpeg2BF864FA-0E67-4520-AA45-55C921709F09 (resized).jpeg2BF864FA-0E67-4520-AA45-55C921709F09 (resized).jpeg

#71 3 years ago

The disappearing ball trick on The Shadow.

Champion Pub’s jump rope and speed bag are fun too.

#72 3 years ago

Magna save you can pulse with proper side buttons. Think jungle lord

#73 3 years ago

The raptor pit kickback on JP always gets me

#74 3 years ago

TOM Combo-ing with the last combo shot up the center ramp opening the trap door for the final shot

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I love the Venom ramp of SM the sound best shot in pinball my opinion. It’s so satisfying to hit and the sound effects and the especially the way it seems to hit Venom stop and change direction.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Man it is so satisfying to hit that ramp. So so good.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

Magna save you can pulse with proper side buttons. Think jungle lord

R&M has this.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I like the captive or messenger ball, especially when it’s tucked away somewhere and not the only thing to shoot for (I’m talking about you, Jubilee and Rogo!)

I recall playing Wizard of Oz and the ball was captured at the top. The machine said something about "capturing Dorothy" or something like that. Me and another player thought that the ball was stuck and proceeded to bump the machine to unstick it. We could clearly see that ball trapped somehow at the very top. We had to get corrected when we requested that it be unstuck by the machine owner, that the ball was captured and there was another one ready to launch. Funny how those things happen sometimes. We felt a little bit silly...

#78 3 years ago

I love saucer shots. Especially on classic Ballys. Just watching the ball swirl in and adding just a little more to your playing time.

#79 3 years ago

It's not a feature that is under rated but to me the Hyperloop on SW premium/LE is the best toy (imo) just to much fun.

I also love the Flooble Crank on R&M and topper on AFM (ATTACK!)

#80 3 years ago

Love spinners and pops but the best feature is that it's
    a friggin time machine and i feel young again playing
    my pins especially my early ss and my ems.

#81 3 years ago

Right now? The Demo shot and Upside Down UV show in STH

One of the most underrated games period

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

It's not a feature that is under rated but....

Awesome thanks so much!!!

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

The nice solid hit of a perfectly adjusted knocker.

I’ll take that one further and say: the knocker on Addams, or a game w/ it installed inside the lower cabinet.
    A good jackpot bell -Taxi

#84 3 years ago

I enjoyed the horeshoe shots. Wouldn’t want one in every game, but the two that stick with me are in silverball and swords of Fury.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from brobra:

Kick over holes on ‘65 Kings & Queens

Nothing like making the ace shot then it bounces out of the jacks. Doh!

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

Champion Pub’s jump rope and speed bag are fun too.

I was going to post the jump rope too!

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Outlane gate ball saves

Can you imagine STTNG and others without it? The modders would be selling tons of lame extenders I mean lane extenders.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm on the other side that thinks knockers are the most overrated thing out there.

No, loud knockers always throw me off and can spook you sometimes. Now the screaming lady on Ghostbusters does take the cake and makes the knocker seem tame.

#89 3 years ago

Thought of another one of the best under-rated features. The pop-up outlane and center lane ball saves for the Rolling Stones LE. Having an extra flipper button to control actual post(not magnets) that require the player to anticipate the ball path movements and react in time(within seconds). It really adds a whole other dimension to game play. It would be great to see Stern do this on for any future titles. Really under-rated and a fun feature that extends the ordinary challenges.

#90 3 years ago

The rhythm of a Gottlieb 2-Player’s score reels resetting. I remember Steve Young calling it the “Gottlieb Orgasm”. Tuttduhduhduhduhd, tuttduhduhduhduhd, tuttduhduhduhduhd, tuttduhduhduhduhd.

I second the sanctum lock on The Shadow. Blows my mind every time but it’s hard enough to see that makes me feel like it doesn't get the credit it deserves.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Thought of another one of the best under-rated features. The pop-up outlane and center lane ball saves for the Rolling Stones LE. Having an extra flipper button to control actual post(not magnets) that require the player to anticipate the ball path movements and react in time(within seconds). It really adds a whole other dimension to game play. It would be great to see Stern do this on for any future titles. Really under-rated and a fun feature that extends the ordinary challenges.

This is definitely fun, but you get 4 players that are good at it on the game at once and it takes forever to play a game. Haha

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

and it takes forever to play a game.

I don't know sometimes it kicks me in the nuts. I have said this before but I believe it truly is the fastest game ever made in terms of ball speed. The ceramic ball and the wide ramps make for wicked fast ball play. It is a game that keeps you on your toes. I also pitch my games steeper than most.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I don't know sometimes it kicks me in the nuts. I have said this before but I believe it truly is the fastest game ever made in terms of ball speed. The ceramic ball and the wide ramps make for wicked fast ball play. It is a game that keeps you on your toes. I also pitch my games steeper than most.

We outlawed that feature in league because of the long play issues. Once we figured them out, it’s pretty impossible to drain. Great fun feature though.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

We outlawed that feature in league because of the long play issues

Should of set it up properly? or just played the Pro

You sound like you could be the next Bowen? (joking but serious? your skills are getting good)

#95 3 years ago

I wonder why noone mentioned the tie fighter button mashing on Stern Star Wars!

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I really miss the bell that used to ring on some games when you exceeded the high score.
    I think Black Knight used to have that feature.
    Having the mechanical knocker go off meant that you won a game and that was cool.
    But when you rang the bell, it was impossible for people in the room to ignore and it was really loud.
    It was like the bell they used to ring in school when it was time to go to the next class.
    Reminds me of the action you get on a slot machine when you hit the jackpot.

The bell in Space Shuttle is awesome when you win extra ball.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I wonder why noone mentioned the tie fighter button mashing on Stern Star Wars!

Hey now-I hated it at first but now I love it! Makes you take hands off for a true risk reward-now Chucky will say he plays it with one hand behind his back and that it is too easy

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Should of set it up properly? or just played the Pro

We can’t just make games appear haha. We have to play what we got. We found disabling the posts helped keep league moving along.

#99 3 years ago

Being able to hold start button to restart game. I know ill get hate for saying it. But they are my machines damnit! Heh

#100 3 years ago

What about having multiple spinners in the same shot? I’ve only seen this in Blackout.

I’m sure the modern designers could bring that back and add some pretty awesome rules to them.

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-favorite-underrated-pinball-feature/page/2?hl=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.