(Topic ID: 293455)

What is your favorite Stern pin from the last few years.

By zr11990

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 225 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by nicoy3k
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is your favorite Stern pin from the last few years.”

• Jurassic Park 49 votes
      15%
    • TMNT 13 votes
      4%
    • AIQ 17 votes
      5%
    • Led Zeppelin 6 votes
      2%
    • Deadpool 38 votes
      12%
    • Elvira House of Horrors 33 votes
      10%
    • Stranger Things 15 votes
      5%
    • Iron Maiden 62 votes
      19%
    • Metallica 22 votes
      7%
    • Guardians of the Gallaxy 1 vote
    • BKSOR 5 votes
      2%
    • Austin Powers 0 votes
    • Big Buck Hunter 2 votes
      1%
    • Aerosmith 3 votes
      1%
    • LOTR 18 votes
      6%
    • Star Wars 12 votes
      4%
    • Star Trek 8 votes
      3%
    • Beatles 0 votes
    • X-Men 1 vote
    • Batman 66 14 votes
      4%

(319 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MichaelPalin-LumberjackSong (resized).jpg
    3A11A6A4-90B2-4985-B38B-5263FB4953F7 (resized).jpeg
    WesternLaugh.gif
    9E3B196A-F721-4D55-83C3-3A99D0603DDD (resized).jpeg
    63EEA4FB-785C-4AAE-8EDF-7E37EB29989F (resized).jpeg
    4398698A-44B4-4680-A756-A52CECC6DA0A (resized).jpeg
    There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 2 years ago

Hate music pins so they're way off the table....Jurassic Park is the best of the bunch in the last 3 years.

#103 2 years ago

#1 is Deadpool. I sort of bought it on a whim. I tend to do that. The price was decent, so I wasn’t going to lose too much if I didn’t like it. I’d played it a few times, and just thought it was OK. But then I got it in my house where it was set up right, and I could hear it clearly. BOOM. It has that something special I look for in games... Fun. The shots seem different in a cool way, and the audio package if first rate. It will be in the house for a long time.

I like Avengers IQ. BUT, I’ve only played the Pro so far. My issues with it are that it feels cheaper. Stern has done a few games where the materials they used felt close to the minimal spec they can get away with. Maybe that won’t impact durability of the game. But it makes it feel a bit fragile. Lots of the rules were accessible by discovery. However, the grid really isn’t. And one thing I hate is the shot for placement of the stones. It comes out of Stark tower, and on the copy I was playing, if you didn’t use the upper flipper, the ball was going out without a slap save. So I wasn’t getting to put them where I wanted them.

Batman 66 is growing on me. I had played it on the launch code, and wasn’t impressed. But I was playing it the other night, and it’s different. The minor villains helping out was interesting. So getting better, and I need to learn the newer code more. And I finally want to.

Elvira is one that I’ve only played release code so far. And I didn’t like it. With things returning to normal, I’m hoping to try out the improvements.

Again due to the world, I haven’t seen a Stranger Things in the flesh yet. My concern about that game is that it seemed like “shoot the shot to qualify, then shoot the same thing to collect it”. But I realize it would have to be better than that for anyone to actually like it.

JP was fun, and I enjoyed the shots. But the release code felt a bit repetitious to me. The sounds felt like the same thing over and over. Hopefully better when I get my hands on it again.

BKSOR is fun as well, but felt a little limited and uninspired. The catapult was an interesting twitchy shot, but I kept going after that and lost focus on the rest of the game.

Munsters - Ugh. It fails on so many levels.

Beatles - I like it. But I don’t think I’d like it all that long if I owned it.

LZ, I still haven’t played it yet... but I will soon.

#104 2 years ago

I see two types of machines predominantly for sale right now, modern stern pins and EM’s. The 1991 - 1998 DMD classics seem to stay held onto by their owners vs. the Stern constant passing around.....

#105 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

So, does anyone have all 3, JP, Turtles, and AIQ? its really down to those 3.

I’ve got turtles and aiq, my mate has JP2. For me it’s turtles. I’m a MASSIVE Borg fan! Massive! I liked twd right out of the box with the initial code and knew it was a game I was going to like. I have xmen, iron man, tmntle and just picked up a gotgle to go with my TWDLE. So one might say borg is the designer that gives me that feeling of kinetic satisfaction.

So that said I’ll tell you why tmnt over JP2 and aiq. SPEED TMNT has it in spades! You blink and you’re in trouble. The ball is back at you super fast from all angles. A missed ramp, a target a made ramp this game is just flat out flow! The code is deep and utilises the entire playfield. This is Dwight’s best game hands down and it’s not even close. He’s coded something in front for the newer player, something in the middle for that next level player (team up multiball) and then for the Keith Elwin's of the world cowabunga! The additional bits in the prem/Le are ok. The two way spinning disc is ok, the glider is kinda cool, the turtle van is kind of cool but the extras I’m not too sure on are necessary (I haven’t played a pro so can’t tell you). I love the speed of this game it just hits the sweet spot.

Aiq is a game I enjoy but it’s kind of lacking a soul gem. The elements are there to make it a great game but there’s something missing. The layout is great the extras in the prem/Le package are worth it (again haven’t played a pro) but the raising spinning disc is AWESOME, and so is the captain marvel ramp, the walk-in stacker is ok but problematic, only an ok addition. The code is good and deep but it’s lacking that soul to bind it all together.

JP2 is an interesting layout. I HATE the tower shot! Hate it. I’m not sure I ever get a clean shot to it but it doesn’t feel good even when you hit it. It’s like fking hell I finally hit that shot on the 1000 try I never thought I’d get that. More frustrating than satisfying. The code is linear in terms of the paddocks and they feel similar albeit with different dinosaur movements. The game really shines in the trex modes! They are phenomenal, absolutely phenomenal! I get more frustrated with the shots in this game than anything. Although the game is very forgiving in terms of drains. You miss a shot and you can recover.

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

You are the first to mention BK. I play d it tonight and out of about 10 stern pins I liked it the most. Total ass kicking bad ass pin. The a knight is down right riude. I loved it. It may not have legs to last a long time but I loved it for a few hours.

I had bksor Le for about 4 months moved it for tmntle and couldn’t be happier. Bksor was fun but became a massive grind. Every monster became the same. Hit the thee VERY dangerous shots up front to get the mode ready, start mode, loop the sky loop adnausium, hit the catapult target to bash monster, repeat until monsters dead oh and bring in a multiball. Fun for a while but eventually got tiresome. Give me a game that forces me to shoot the entire playfield!

#107 2 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

I see two types of machines predominantly for sale right now, modern stern pins and EM’s. The 1991 - 1998 DMD classics seem to stay held onto by their owners vs. the Stern constant passing around.....

I am the same way. JP,EHOH,DP, IMDM all have passed thru, but the classic 1990's dmd plus now the classic late 70's/early 80's SS's are here to stay. That is not saying anything bad about the newer Sterns. I wish I could keep them all. Got to admit, it will get harder to rebuy the Sterns at the present pricing.

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Again due to the world, I haven’t seen a Stranger Things in the flesh yet. My concern about that game is that it seemed like “shoot the shot to qualify, then shoot the same thing to collect it”. But I realize it would have to be better than that for anyone to actually like it.

I was worried about that too, but now that I have the game I like the way modes are started. And the 12 modes all play really differently, so it doesn’t get monotonous. There’s a lot of strategy too, like avoiding the Demodog start shot if you don’t have a mode started yet.

#109 2 years ago

AIQ is underrated at this time. Just a matter of time before people before people understand the rules and see it’s a sleeper.

#110 2 years ago

I have TMNT(Pro) & AIQ (prem) --> for me Its AIQ over TMNT if that is a question for you. TMNT is fun for a while however, after 1 year I have traded it for a stranger things which i missed and regretted getting rid of. TMNT to me just got boring I didnt want it too get boring it just did. For me its 1. AIQ 2. Stranger Things. 3. JP

#111 2 years ago

Its late in the game but I added a pole and for shits and giggles I just put almost every game I could think of. Have fun

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Its late in the game but I added a pole and for shits and giggles I just put almost every game I could think of. Have fun

Iron Maiden has 100% i have to agree

#113 2 years ago

Oh BTW, a deposit was made today for a JP with a shaker motor and a amber shooter rod. Thank you. And who the fuck wants a JP without a shaker motor.

#114 2 years ago

Ahhh, and you put Aerosmith in twice so it couldn't win...

#115 2 years ago

How do i remove it. Sorry about

#116 2 years ago

Removed

#117 2 years ago

Wow IM is the winner by a longshot so far.

#118 2 years ago

No BM66? That gets my vote.

#119 2 years ago

Its there now

#120 2 years ago
    Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I had bksor Le for about 4 months moved it for tmntle and couldn’t be happier. Bksor was fun but became a massive grind. Every monster became the same. Hit the thee VERY dangerous shots up front to get the mode ready, start mode, loop the sky loop adnausium, hit the catapult target to bash monster, repeat until monsters dead oh and bring in a multiball. Fun for a while but eventually got tiresome. Give me a game that forces me to shoot the entire playfield!

I think you just perfectly illustrated why many of us like BK pro better. Every monster plays significantly different from each other.

I just wish Tim would give us catapult MB (light lock on the drops or something, virtual lock on the left saucer, done). The lack of upper pf makes the monster battles 100% more interesting, but without the catapult there is definitely a lack of non-battle things to do. Double edged sword (pun fully intended).

For the OP and original question...if forced to pick right now I'd say JP, but it's a really close race between a handful of titles for me. Stern really is kicking butt lately with some great machines. Do not sleep on Stranger Things...it kind of sounds like that might be the perfect bridge between the '90s games you love and the modern era.

#121 2 years ago

This. It shouldn't even be close.

#122 2 years ago

AIQ. Hands down. Best layout and deepest code ever. It’s pure therapy to play.

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Wow IM is the winner by a longshot so far.

That's not surprising. Maiden is an incredible game. The poll will likely come down to Maiden and JP.

#124 2 years ago

Jurassic Park with the modified movie images code is a game changer for the total gameplay along with Cleland code for walking dead. If putting these two machines with the pirated code into the mix I bet opinions would be way different. LOTR and Iron Maiden are legit best stand on their own machines by far.

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

That's not surprising. Maiden is an incredible game. The poll will likely come down to Maiden and JP.

When Big Buck Hunter has 1 out of 42 votes, I’m not sure the poll means much. LOL.

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from VMAX:

When Big Buck Hunter has 1 out of 42 votes, I’m not sure the poll means much. LOL.

2 picks each would show a lot.

#127 2 years ago

Probably should have used just LCD games. I know a lot of these were games that were mention, except maybe big buck, but you're missing some good titles.

#128 2 years ago
    Quoted from VMAX:

Make fun of BBH all you want but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

#129 2 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Probably should have used just LCD games. I know a lot of these were games that were mention, except maybe big buck, but you're missing some good titles.

Tell me which ones im missing and ill put them on there I tried to put them all down but those are the ones I could think of at the moment.

So far the poll is mor fun than the original question.

#130 2 years ago

Almost certainly Iron Maiden, as long as the theme doesn’t ruin it for you.

#131 2 years ago

Elvira is magical.

#132 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

That sounds past tense-ish. If you really enjoyed it that much, why is your enjoyment of it "in the past"? Seems like I'm throwing a bit of a Yellow Card, here.

#133 2 years ago

And I'm failing to understand why "of the past few years" somehow becomes basically "the last 20 years". I mean, really: some of them actually are basically that old that are listed in the poll.

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Tell me which ones im missing and ill put them on there I tried to put them all down but those are the ones I could think of at the moment.
    So far the poll is mor fun than the original question.

Personally I enjoy Game of Thrones and Ghostbusters eventually coded into a decent game. I wouldn't pick either over Maiden but some one might. Those were the first ones that I noticed. Also TSPP. Can't have LOTR and not the Simpson's

#135 2 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

That sounds past tense-ish. If you really enjoyed it that much, why is your enjoyment of it "in the past"? Seems like I'm throwing a bit of a Yellow Card, here.

I havnt seen one in a long time to play.

#136 2 years ago

Elvira for its uniqueness but, Stranger things is very underrated and insanely addicting. I like them both nearly the same for different reason.

#137 2 years ago

Game of Thrones needs added if Xmen is on this list.

Never leaving because it’s a perfect game imo. Endless ways to play and so many awesome moments or big collect opportunities depending on the path you take. So so so good.

#138 2 years ago

tell me what you want and ill add it. it just adds to the fun.

#139 2 years ago

It wont let me add anymore

#140 2 years ago

I think we're very lucky in this hobby in that almost all the recent machines have been completely amazing (Sterns or otherwise). However some of the newer Sterns particularly the Elwin design/Zombie Yeti art pins have just been off the charts in how they look, play and shoot - truly next level stuff.

I would give Iron Maiden the nod as perhaps the best. It's certainly the one I still go to the most in my collection and I always, always have fun playing it. That said, I really don't understand anyone who can play Deadpool and come away without a huge smile on their face.

Very close between those 2, but IM just edges it I think.

#141 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I have a blast every time I play it, so I wasn’t really making fun of it. It was more about it seriously being the best Stern, and it being from 2010 in a poll about “recent years” loosely specified as 3 years.

#142 2 years ago

Maiden

#143 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

The best is yet to come. Godzilla and Rush are next ones that are supposedly due out this year.

We can only hope Rush is made. A must for me!!

#144 2 years ago

If by the last 3 years you mean anything from Stern built in the 2000's and up, then it would be LOTR followed by RBION. If you really mean the last 3 years, then it would have to be Jurassic Park for me. Love that game, another Keith hit.

#145 2 years ago

It started out being the last 3 years but that leaves out so many good games.

#146 2 years ago

2 modern Stern eras:

Multiple-Model Era: Avatar forward (late 2010 to present).
    1 - Avengers: Infinity Quest (2020)
    2 - Jurassic Park (2019)
    3 - Elvira’s House of Horror (2019)
    4 - Deadpool (2018)
    5 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2020)
    6 - Star Trek (2013)
    7 - Batman ‘66 (2016)
    8 - AC/DC (2012)
    9 - Iron Maiden (2018)
    10 - All the Rest

Single-Model Era: Iron Man rearward (late 2010 back to 1999).
    1 - The Lord of the Rings (2003/09)
    2 - Spider-Man (2007)
    3 - The Simpsons Pinball Party (2003)
    4 - Pirates of the Caribbean (2006)
    5 - Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! (2004)
    6 - Iron Man (2010)
    7 - Family Guy (2007)
    8 - Batman: The Dark Knight (2008)
    9 - The Sopranos (2005)
    10 - All the Rest

#147 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Big Buck Hunter and Austin Powers included in the poll list, but no TWD, MET, Mustang, Iron Man, AC/DC, GoT, or TRON (to name a few)?!

#148 2 years ago
    Quoted from calprog:

We can only hope Rush is made. A must for me!!

I may not be a potential buyer, but definitely looking forward to playing one.

#149 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Big Buck Hunter and Austin Powers included in the poll list, but no TWD, MET, Mustang, Iron Man, AC/DC, GoT, or TRON (to name a few)?!

They won’t let me add anymore. I put the ones I thought about.

#150 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

They won’t let me add anymore. I put the ones I thought about.

I guess we should consider it fortunate that you didn't think of NBA and 24 then.

There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-favorite-stern-pin-from-the-last-3-years/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.