(Topic ID: 189775)

What is your favorite pinball machine with sound off?

By jaycade

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Medisinyl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

While in a loud pinball arcade the other day, I had to play a few machines without hearing their sounds / voiceovers etc.

So I got to thinking, which games was I having fun playing without sounds, and just on gameplay alone?
I found games like FunHouse #metallica-le Fish Tales Whirlwind #kiss-stern-le Judge Dredd Twilight Zone The Addams Family Theatre of Magic Medieval Madness White Water a lot of fun with just their gameplay and no / barely audible sound effects.

But popular games like Corvette Terminator 2: Judgment Day #the_walking_dead_le Scared Stiff Lord of the Rings I found kind of eh with no sound. ESPECIALLY Star Trek: The Next Generation which I was really looking forward to playing, but I found it quite frustrating and was a bit bored to be honest since I couldnt hear the voiceovers.

That being said, what are some of your favorite pinball machines just based on play alone, without sound effects / voiceovers?

#2 6 years ago

Aerosmith is a fantastic game if you don't have to listen to their music.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Aerosmith is a fantastic game if you don't have to listen to their music.

Yeah I mean really is this just a "good game/shitty audio package" question?

I don;t really get the question as I don;t like to play games with the sound off.

#4 6 years ago

Many 80's games play just fine with little or no volume. Not sure if you only want DMD games but if you are looking at early solid state you can pick pretty much any game as very few games relied on their sound packages to attract players (obviously games like Gorgar that featured sound are excluded).

#5 6 years ago

My question is this....if you take sound out of the equation (whether the sound of the game is good or bad), what are some great 90s and later games just based on their gameplay?

For instance, #metallica-le is pretty great for the songs played during the game, but the game play is pretty awesome too. So if I couldnt hear the music, I would still really enjoy the gameplay.

If you look at the pinside reviews of a game like Star Trek: The Next Generation many people cite the sound and voiceovers as perfect. However, when I played the game in a loud arcade where I couldnt hear the sounds, I felt the gameplay was really lacking and pretty boring.

So im curious of people's opinions of pinball machines where the gameplay can carry the game, without the sounds. Because if you are in a loud arcade where the sounds are drowned out, it matters.

#6 6 years ago

So you are talking about voice work, music, and general sounds combined (all three), playing in total silence but for mechanical sounds like the pop bumpers.

Shorter ball time games where you are in constant jeopardy would likely prevail...so games like TWD over games like Star Trek would lead most likely.

#7 6 years ago

Getaway - love the sound of the supercharger in action.

#8 6 years ago

Black Knight. It doesn't have many sounds to begin with, but the gameplay is still addicting. I generally play it with a retro/midi station selected on Pandora for music (Power Glove/minibosses, etc.).

EDIT: I now see the "90s or later" part. Hmm. Sound is such an important part of the more modern machines that I generally feel some degree of disappointment or frustration not being able to hear a machine that uses a lot of sound. Part of the problem is that some rely on audio cues rather than text or obvious lighting. Not something that's an issue on a game that you know the rules on, but otherwise kills any sense of immersion that I value in pinball. I suppose games with fun ramp shots (Radical, Judge Dredd...) and/or drop targets are the sorts I find the most interesting when unable to hear much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 169.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-favorite-pinball-machine-with-sound-off and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.