83%
  • Other, try this (and please post what helps you) 3 votes
    9%

(35 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67838B86-6967-4A46-A9B9-C620760E1E7E (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Me, I have had low sugar since I was a teen. I know how to handle it pretty well.

Luckily I can have some Nattys and be just fine, but...that one Krispy Kreme donut I always crave will just about put me in a coma.

There are so many foods that I crave but I can not have. Over 25 years into this, and I know what I can do, learned the hard way sometimes.

Dad was diagnosed with high sugar the same time I was diagnosed with low. I am so glad I never had to deal with all those shots all the time that he had to do. Probably another reason I will never get a tattoo, I had enough of the finger pricks testing blood sugar I hate needles.

And now my knees are getting so bad I am becoming more frugal to retire earlier to try not to have to go through a surgery.

And I love how Pinside gets off topic, so soon it will be fun to read something like:

1. you went out in public without a mask, what is wrong with you?

2. you bought nib with all the pooling going on, what is wrong with you?

3. just because Burrows had a good college career, you thought he would be awesome as a pro, what is wrong with you?

In the meantime I am looking for the copper knee braces, and all the stores around here are always sold out.

Can anyone here say whether or not the copper knee braces actually help?

(I can actually testify that the Nattys help my knees, but I can not use them all day).

#2 3 years ago

Fasting, thats the secret. HA Ha ha..

#3 3 years ago
67838B86-6967-4A46-A9B9-C620760E1E7E (resized).png67838B86-6967-4A46-A9B9-C620760E1E7E (resized).png
#4 3 years ago

Look after yourself
I became an amputee just before xmas . It sucks big time

Cv19 never really git my area. 9 cases and they contrated it on a cruse ship
Modern Sterns suck, so no dimples and pricy toppers for me

#5 3 years ago

I may have different causes of the pain, but I saw a physical therapist for my knee pain. He recommended off the shelf insoles for my shoes (superfeet green, for me) and some exercises. It helped a lot (mostly the insoles because I have not really done the exercises).

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Fasting, thats the secret. HA Ha ha..

Fasting does help.

#7 3 years ago

The copper containing braces/supports I have used don't help me any more than any other support; that's just me. My knee pains respond best to low impact walking. They don't like standing or running. However, most of my knee pain is from tendons/ligaments.

#8 3 years ago

I thought that I had gout because I would start having some swelling in my joints especially my knees. I went to the doctor to get tested and I don’t have gout. I stopped eating wheat and that eliminated all of my symptoms. I occasionally have a burger but not often. Cherries help with inflammation.

I suggest that you try eliminating wheat from your diet for a month and see if that helps. Google cherries and anti-inflammatory. I’m sure that there are other natural anti-inflammation cures out there. They probably won’t cure what you have but will make it less severe.

#9 3 years ago

So did you buy a nib with all the pooling going on? what is wrong with you?

On a side note on what is wrong with me... it’s too much to list, but I am working with what I got.

#10 3 years ago

I was under the impression copper was a toxic metal that too much would kill you and we use it as a wood preservative to kill termites. But now it is all the rage I guess.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/copper

#11 3 years ago

On another note. Not sure how good or bad these copper products are for humans but it has been shown to kill the coronavirus on contact.

#12 3 years ago

The whole copper thing goes back to when people thought the green staining from their copper bracelets was somehow curative of arthritis. It isn't. But this has carried over to today where we see ads for copper infused back and knee braces and even copper infused face masks. High copper levels can kill you but this generally a genetic disorder.

On the other hand, silver will kill bacteria (and werewolves) and a silver infused creme is frequently used on severe burns to prevent infections.

Gold is used in dentistry because of its malleability and resistance to corrosion. It only kills your budget.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Fasting does help.

Helps what?

I am 5'7" 150 pounds.

I used to do several gutter cleaning jobs in my spare time, it was good money. Now if I were to take on one I can not walk for 2 days, ladders kill my knees anymore.

Getting on and back off excavators and front end loaders too many times a day is killing my knees now.

Whatever I have going on with my knees it is mostly a climbing issue.

My 77 year old uncle keeps saying I need copper braces. I think I just need to find a knee doctor pretty soon.

#14 3 years ago

I wouldn’t waste my time or money on cooper braces.

I would start here...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/knee-pain/symptoms-causes/syc-20350849

Then I might seek out a doctor for an experts opinion.

Better to get it under control now before things get worse. Figure out what bothers them the most, then try to limit doing those things. You might have to change jobs, but it could be worth it. Bad health sucks and you need to take care of yourself before it is out of your hands. Nothing about health is easier when you get older.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep your journal going!

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I would start here...

Thanks for the link. I normally never click a link, but I clicked that one.

One thing: "If you have hip or foot pain, you may change the way you walk to spare these painful joints. But this altered gait can place more stress on your knee joint. In some cases, problems in the hip or foot can cause knee pain".

Reminded me how my back messes up also.

The good thing about the article it mainly just said to see a doctor if you have swelling and fever. I have none of that.

I think I will try a ice pack and then get in the jacuzzi. I did that for something in the past, I can not remember what it was. Guess I am having memory loss now also.

Damn I am just getting old and falling apart.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Fasting does help.

Agree, Fasting helps a lot.only eat in a 5-6 hour window.I also stoped eating all meat and I feel a lot younger.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

only eat in a 5-6 hour window.

I have been doing that almost my whole life. But then for the next 5-6 hours I drink beer.

Does that count?

(I do stay away from bread, except for pizza one night a week).

#18 3 years ago

Is it Bacon beer ? lol

#19 3 years ago

It's all diet. Start with the Mayo Clinic website, then dig deeper.

#20 3 years ago

Fasting can be good for multiple things. Most people (i think?) would use it for weight loss by keeping insulin low and keeping you in fat burning mode rather than fat storage mode. But fasting can do more than that if done over a longer period of time. Somewhere between 24 and 36 hrs (i’m sure everyone is diff) you can achieve autophagy, which is where your body will recycle dysfunctional cells and create new / better cells. Basically getting replacing bad cells with good cells.

Intermittent “fasting” (or rather time-restricted) eating won’t put you in a state of autophagy. But is still very good imo. But every once in a while throw in a prolonged fast and i find you come out of those feeling great. I’ve done a few 72hr fasts and def noticed a difference in how i felt. Clearer skin for example. I switched to a low carb lifestyle so doing those really wasnt difficult. The longest i did was 5 days, which was because i travel to Denmark for work and found it too much of a pain to eat low carb. They live on bread and potatoes lol. So i just fasted instead. Honestly at the end of 5 days i was like, “meh i guess i should eat something”. But could of kept goin. And my expense report took no time to complete haha.

I’m not a dietician, doctor or scientist. Bro-scientist at best lol. But i do know the important parts of fasting are keeping yr electrolytes in balance, and what you eat to break the fast. I would encourage anyone to do their own research. But while fasting may be the latest craze, it is by no means a new thing.

#21 3 years ago

The ice pack and then getting in the jacuzzi worked awesome!

It is just too hot and humid to use the jacuzzi much now.

And those darn moskeeters.

(and I know the word is mosquitos, but because I am from the south I was trying to be funny with that).

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

The ice pack and then getting in the jacuzzi worked awesome!
It is just too hot and humid to use the jacuzzi much now.
And those darn moskeeters.
(and I know the word is mosquitos, but because I am from the south I was trying to be funny with that).

You’re welcome

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cutter-Backyard-Bug-Control-32-fl-oz-Concentrate-Insect-Killer/4441845?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_--_-google-_-lia-_-241-_-outdoorpesticide-_-4441845-_-0&store_code=1807&placeholder=null&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-5qv2eju6QIVCZ2zCh3JSwsXEAQYASABEgJy-fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Fasting can be good for multiple things. Most people (i think?) would use it for weight loss by keeping insulin low and keeping you in fat burning mode rather than fat storage mode. But fasting can do more than that if done over a longer period of time. Somewhere between 24 and 36 hrs (i’m sure everyone is diff) you can achieve autophagy, which is where your body will recycle dysfunctional cells and create new / better cells. Basically getting replacing bad cells with good cells.
Intermittent “fasting” (or rather time-restricted) eating won’t put you in a state of autophagy. But is still very good imo. But every once in a while throw in a prolonged fast and i find you come out of those feeling great. I’ve done a few 72hr fasts and def noticed a difference in how i felt. Clearer skin for example. I switched to a low carb lifestyle so doing those really wasnt difficult. The longest i did was 5 days, which was because i travel to Denmark for work and found it too much of a pain to eat low carb. They live on bread and potatoes lol. So i just fasted instead. Honestly at the end of 5 days i was like, “meh i guess i should eat something”. But could of kept goin. And my expense report took no time to complete haha.
I’m not a dietician, doctor or scientist. Bro-scientist at best lol. But i do know the important parts of fasting are keeping yr electrolytes in balance, and what you eat to break the fast. I would encourage anyone to do their own research. But while fasting may be the latest craze, it is by no means a new thing.

I’ve been fasting a couple days a week and for some reason feel fucking fantastic for the most part. I don’t really understand why and your 5 day fast is biblical, but there’s definitely something beneficial going on. I usually do 24 hrs and should probably read up on what you should eat when coming out of the fast. I’ve found that it clears the mind and the cobwebs and my body just feels better.

#24 3 years ago

I wasn't kidding. The rats on restricted calories lived longer, healthier lives with more energy.
Also like to offer how many people with respiratory/ phlegm issues need to lay off dairy.
Does your multi-vitamin contain iron? Drop it if you are a man, iron is the worst.
Try to include fresh garlic in your diet, lots of it.
Find a ten year ginseng root (older the better) and shave a small amount into a beer once a week.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I wasn't kidding. The rats on restricted calories lived longer, healthier lives with more energy.
Also like to offer how many people with respiratory/ phlegm issues need to lay off dairy.
Does your multi-vitamin contain iron? Drop it if you are a man, iron is the worst.
Try to include fresh garlic in your diet, lots of it.
Find a ten year ginseng root (older the better) and shave a small amount into a beer once a week.

I second to avoid dairy. It's a major carcinogen. You'll be feeling great in no time.

#26 3 years ago

To answer the original question what is wrong with me, I've always kind of felt my body is a lot younger than my brain. Perhaps too young.

But I can't seem to destroy either one of them.

#27 3 years ago

Regarding the original question...can you be more specific?

#28 3 years ago

My 77 year old uncle keeps saying I need copper braces. I think I just need to find a knee doctor pretty soon.

There’s your problem right there. Taking bad medical advice from family members.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Regarding the original question...can you be more specific?

No need to. This is Pinside. The NFL thread will start talking about other sports, and other things.

The Deeproot thread goes all over the place.

Pretty much every thread here goes all over the place, and I love it!

I started it as saying what is wrong with me is I have low sugar, and now I am dealing with a lot of knee pain, so I started it as what is wrong with you physically or medically, but I left it open to go anywhere any member wants to take it.

I just hope it stays both serious and entertaining.

I am totally amazed so far about so many comments about fasting and avoiding dairy products.

I was just thinking outside the box, and it has worked well, because maybe I do need to stop drinking that glass of milk in the morning just to see if I feel any better. (which I have actually been doing for my low sugar, and has worked great with that).

The main thing though, is just serious and entertaining hopefully.

Kind of like the NFL's C'mon Man on one extreme, to maybe even members asking for a pm if anyone knows a awesome doctor, dentist, etc.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

There’s your problem right there. Taking bad medical advice from family members.

Not only advice, my uncle believes in that crap so much he went out and bought the knee braces, and a back brace for me.

He swears by that crap. I did the poll here just to verify what I thought, that he was full of crap.

I like my uncle, and I try to help him with things like operating his backhoe on his land moving stuff like trees that have fell or whatever. (he has a backhoe, but he does not know how to use it too well).

So, when he sees me limping, and says why are you limping, and I say I am having knee problems, here comes all the "oh, you have to have copper knee braces and blah, blah, blah".

Many years ago he started some shit like that about a woman I was dating, that he did not like (said she was too old for me), and we got into it and I did not talk to him or have anything to do with him for like 5 years.

The way he insisted on this knee brace crap made me want to just say no, leave me alone, BUT, I do not want to ever hurt his feelings again.

He is very helpful, tons of resources. I can tell him my ac went out, and he knows the best person for that. I can tell him any problem, and he knows someone that will do a awesome job for less than half what anyone else charges.

He always tries to pay me for running his backhoe, I never take a dime. His advice saves me tons of money.

Anyway, I have no clue what is wrong with me now, not sure if I just moved the wrong way or something, but I am having some pains in my lower area, that is ok when I am sitting down, but killing me when I walk. This just happened 30 minutes ago.

Hernia? I have no clue. All I know is I have never felt pain like this before when walking. And I am serious.

Seriously I have had a lot of gas tonight, but now I feel like I have pulled muscles or something down there, and a widespread area. Very bad pains when I walk now.

Very serious I am having my last beer tonight, and when I wake up if I am having this pain still I will call my uncle, and talk to my Mom, I do not know any local doctors, but I am sure they can give some advice.

If any doctors here I do have Ambetter insurance.. thankfully.

This getting old thing along with the new pains that hit out of the blue just sucks.

Sorry for the long rant, I just wanted to explain my uncle a tad, and also what I am having all of a sudden.

#31 3 years ago

No need to. This is Pinside. The NFL thread will start talking about other sports, and other things.
The Deeproot thread goes all over the place.
Pretty much every thread here goes all over the place, and I love it!
I started it as saying what is wrong with me is I have low sugar, and now I am dealing with a lot of knee pain, so I started it as what is wrong with you physically or medically, but I left it open to go anywhere any member wants to take it.
I just hope it stays both serious and entertaining.
I am totally amazed so far about so many comments about fasting and avoiding dairy products.
I was just thinking outside the box, and it has worked well, because maybe I do need to stop drinking that glass of milk in the morning just to see if I feel any better. (which I have actually been doing for my low sugar, and has worked great with that).
The main thing though, is just serious and entertaining hopefully.
Kind of like the NFL's C'mon Man on one extreme, to maybe even members asking for a pm if anyone knows a awesome doctor, dentist, etc.

I was talking about myself not you btw. I have several issues (we all do), so I was making fun of that

#32 3 years ago

Other than eyesight not as good as it was I'm doing pretty good at 65.
Wifee might have a different point of view.
Steve

#33 3 years ago

My cousin lives in Mableton, GA. What's wrong with her?!

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

My cousin lives in Mableton, GA. What's wrong with her?!

I guess she likes a relatively low cost of living, along with not as heavy traffic as other areas.

#35 3 years ago

Wife often remarks, what's wrong with you? I tell her so many, many things. She knows this.
Then followed by our favorite, shall I list them alphabetically or chronologically.

I'm between 40 & 50 yrs old, 5'8" 180 (heavier than I should be), no longer drink alcohol, I do calisthenics 3 or 4 days a week each morning and try to cycle 5 miles 3 to 5 days a week.
Take no pain meds, use no braces, supports etc. I can and do out work, out lift, my two teenage boys (one of which works out avidly).
Just lucky I guess. Oh but as mentioned above I too am blind as a bat, corrective lenses, I'd be dead if left in the wild to survive. So there is that.

#36 3 years ago

I guess she likes a relatively low cost of living, along with not as heavy traffic as other areas.

indeed she does! She used to live in Atlanta. Wow the traffic there is crazy!

Chris

#37 3 years ago

My poor knees.

I moved the right one the wrong way first thing at 5am getting off the toilet and it was messed up all day.

A big pine tree I was cutting with a chainsaw on a job hit my left one about 9am. (a little blood also).

About 1pm on a job I had to walk a 1/4 mile. I did not think I would make it.

For over a year now I have been trying to go try this frisbee golf course the county built 3 miles from here, I was going to do that tomorrow finally, but there is no way I can walk that far right now.

(and I am not into country music, but I just re-read this, and if someone comes up with a hit about moving the right one the wrong way...I need some royalties).

#38 3 years ago

My poor knees.
I moved the right one the wrong way first thing at 5am getting off the toilet and it was messed up all day.
A big pine tree I was cutting with a chainsaw on a job hit my left one about 9am. (a little blood also).
About 1pm on a job I had to walk a 1/4 mile. I did not think I would make it.
For over a year now I have been trying to go try this frisbee golf course the county built 3 miles from here, I was going to do that tomorrow finally, but there is no way I can walk that far right now.
(and I am not into country music, but I just re-read this, and if someone comes up with a hit about moving the right one the wrong way...I need some royalties).

From what you describe, you're on your way to immobility in no time. I would go see a specialist and make a rehabilitation plan.

#39 3 years ago

I was diagnosed with recurrent pancreatitis in early 80s. Specialist recommended marijuana back then. I apparently had IBS for 30 plus years and then my body started changing. After trial and error (mostly error) we figured out it was gluten messing me up. It seems impossible that food I ate was making me sick. On top of that, with pancreatitis you have to hydrate constantly. Watermelon water works best for hydration. Coconut water next. Diet, hydration, and exercise as your body tells you to. I'm having foot problems and it hurts to walk. So I bike. And then bought a couple electric bikes to help me pedal. Changing my diet allowed my intestines to heal over time, which stopped some of the pain. Dairy has a negative effect on me as well as others. I also use a stretching technique my old chiropractor had us do to warm up to stretch and straighten spine. All these things combined have me feeling good. If I ingest gluten, its almost like how others feel when they have a flu like illness. Hydration is very important.

1 month later
#40 3 years ago

Anyone have extreme ear itching, and lots of dead skin coming out of the ears?

A ear doctor gave me a cream that helps, but this crap has been going on for 10 months now, and I wish it would go away.

(as far as my knees, I have not been working much lately, and they are a good bit better now that they have had some rest).

Always something.

#41 3 years ago

Regarding the original question?

Ask my wife.

Evidently the list is endless.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Regarding the original question?

Ask my wife.

Evidently the list is endless.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I just roll my eyes and think really.

#43 3 years ago

And I just remembered another problem I have had for about 20 years now.

About 20 times a year, normally if I am eating too fast it happens, but can happen anytime, and almost always while eating:

I have so much pain and pressure in my back and chest, and pepto or nothing else helps.

I almost always have to run to a bathroom, bang my back against a wall, and try to burp myself.

When I do that a very thick clear liquid comes up, and after doing that a while I am ok again.

And it does piss me off almost everytime this happens my girlfriend is like what is wrong with you? I just say my bad pains are back, don't stare at me, I will be fine shortly.

Back in 1987 I was hit head on in my truck. It was a mangled mess. I started having problems, but no tests ever found anything, and the problems would sometimes go away for a few years.

Last night I felt that crap was about to start, so I just stopped eating for a few minutes, caught it early enough to not have to go into private and cough up whatever that clear thick shit is.

When whatever that is hits, it is painful, and I burp a thick liquid I have to spit out. Once I can burp air again and no liquid, I am fine.

IF...I try to just use Pepto, or Tums, they come right back up, nothing helps when I have one of these episodes, except time, and sometimes trying to burp myself.

(and we are so great here trying to help each other with repairs on our games, I hope we can also help each other for repairs to us).

No way in hell would I even try to see a doctor right now with the virus stuff.

And it would not matter anyway, I have tried to get help in the past, and it is a joke. They have no clue and just start referring you to another doctor, and goes on and on because they make a lot of money off referral fees.

#44 3 years ago

Johnny I have figured out your problem buddy. The problem is, you are one big f*cking mess dude!

Just kidding man, I hope everything is ok with you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-wrong-with-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.