(Topic ID: 246537)

What is WPT worth and is it worth owning?

By rai

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MikeS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I know WPT has it's demerits as a pin, the theme is meh and the art is no better but supposedly it's an ok pin for an ok price.

Wanted to get a quick opinion if it's woth owning and what is a good price if was 100% like new condition but no mods.

#2 4 years ago

It's an amazing pin. Just ugly AF. I dont know what they're currently worth but you can't go wrong as far as fun factor.

#3 4 years ago

Ive seen nice examples locally for $2500-3000. I’ve actually never played it so I can’t comment on the play. It has deeper rules and and those that own it love it.

#4 4 years ago

3200 ish and it's awesome

#5 4 years ago

Lots of pin for about $3k - challenging, deep, not cookie cutter and fun. Hard to go wrong getting a like new Stern designed by two of the best for about half of a current pro.

#6 4 years ago

One of the most underrated Sterns with one of the best Keith Johnson rule sets. Break the rules down to their basic components, ignore all the poker jargon, stack as much as you can. If you're al fan old-school Gottlieb drop target games like Joker Poker, Royal Flush or Jacks Open, you will also love this.

#7 4 years ago

#1 bang for the buck in pinball.

#8 4 years ago

Great game! I've owned four of them over the years. Still have one. I sold a beautiful HUO WPT at Expo last October for $3,400. Now go get one.....

#9 4 years ago

A fantastic pin. Code is some of the best out there. Very happy with mine.

#10 4 years ago

I’ve owned one....I think it depends on how you like to play. If you are a casual player, it won’t be fun or pull you in, when you own it. If you are someone who likes rules and playing with some thinking and specific shots, you’ll really like this game.

I bought mine because it was cheap. Thought it was just ok, but when I watched the tutorial and figured out a way to play the game, then I got REALLY into the game. Flowed nice, loved the drops, steal-able ball lock, quick ramps, upper pf is kinda fun. Lots of easy modes, but tons of hard ones. Some cool multiballs and stacking.

So if you’re that type of player it is a steal of a game, can be had under $3k

#11 4 years ago

Easily the most bang for the buck modern Stern at around $3k. The poker theme is very well integrated, the rules are challenging, balanced, and very fun. The upper playfield offers a great challenge and some good strategy with the hurry ups and ace-in-the-hole. The shots are deep but butter smooth like you would expect from the king Steve Ritchie. Also looks gorgeous with leds lighting up the card inserts.

It was not a great fit at my location where we have league/tournaments, but i couldn't get enough of it at home

#12 4 years ago

Great game, especially if you like poker. Nothing else out there really like it, they make some alt translites to replace the kinda ugly stock one, and you can still find them under $3k.

#13 4 years ago

I love the game. Last night I was watching the World Series of Poker on ESPN and realized that I am eternally grateful to Stern for getting the WPT license instead of WSOP. The announcers on ESPN, and in particular this guy Norman Chad, are unbearable. The announcers on WPT are much better and always include a good looking woman! The call-outs on WPT are like play by play, but they give a lot of clues as to what to shoot for. This is helpful because at all times there are two poker hands in play. There is a Texas Hold-em hand with the ramps and shots and there is a draw poker hand on the drop targets.

16 drop targets!

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I love the game. Last night I was watching the World Series of Poker on ESPN and realized that I am eternally grateful to Stern for getting the WPT license instead of WSOP. The announcers on ESPN, and in particular this guy Norman Chad, are unbearable. The announcers on WPT are much better and always include a good looking woman! The call-outs on WPT are like play by play, but they give a lot of clues as to what to shoot for. This is helpful because at all times there are two poker hands in play. There is a Texas Hold-em hand with the ramps and shots and there is a draw poker hand on the drop targets.
16 drop targets!

I love the guys on WSOP better Norm is just funny as hell.

#15 4 years ago

ive been looking at them about a year thinking about buying one. 2800-3100 seems to cover the price.

#16 4 years ago

WPT is the one game on both my "history" and "wish" lists. 'nuff said!

Sold a super clean loaded one a few years ago for $2,750 and was a hell of a deal IMHO.

#17 4 years ago

Great game with deep rules for a good price.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I know WPT has it's demerits as a pin, the theme is meh and the art is no better but supposedly it's an ok pin for an ok price.
Wanted to get a quick opinion if it's woth owning and what is a good price if was 100% like new condition but no mods.

If you get it, just make sure you have the latest code. Lots of them out there with the second to last code and not the last one that fixes one major issue.

Also, the jail lockup is likely to not be working right. The opto gets dirty and it stops registering balls correctly.

#19 4 years ago

Watched the videos and played it today. Just not my cup of tea. Might be spoiled on my collection and sold games like AcDc premium and LotR recently. I realize this is not in their price naturally but I’m not in love with WPT. In this class I’d rather have Rbion.

I’m not in any rush besides that need to play the pins I own more. Which is partly why I sold AcDc. First to have a spot and money if something come along and second to get my other pins more played.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you get it, just make sure you have the latest code. Lots of them out there with the second to last code and not the last one that fixes one major issue.
Also, the jail lockup is likely to not be working right. The opto gets dirty and it stops registering balls correctly.

What issues does new code fix?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

What issues does new code fix?

Fixes a lot of USB issues and other stuff, but the critical ones are:

- Fixed multiball deadlock issue.
- Fixed a problem where winning an extra ball when the award was points would
cause the game to reset.
- Fixed problem that would cause the USB interface to fail after backing up
the game image (reboot would solve problem).

It seems like there was an infinite multiball bug that was fixed, too.

#22 4 years ago

WPT. One of the best rulesets in pinball followed by THE worst sound, Art, and call out package in all of Pinball. If you can get past that (good luck) you’ll have one heck of a gem.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Norm is just funny as hell.

Ugh. If you mean there is a room in hell where you listen to him for eternity, then I agree.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Watched the videos and played it today. Just not my cup of tea. Might be spoiled on my collection and sold games like AcDc premium and LotR recently. I realize this is not in their price naturally but I’m not in love with WPT. In this class I’d rather have Rbion.
I’m not in any rush besides that need to play the pins I own more. Which is partly why I sold AcDc. First to have a spot and money if something come along and second to get my other pins more played.

I’d recommend playing it first before you make your final decision.

#25 4 years ago

Easily one of the best bang for your buck titles around. Excellent gameplay w/ a very deep almost impossible to reach grand wizard mode. Ace in the hole is awesome, especially when activating it & releasing an add a ball during multiball. The surrounding 16 drop targets scream pure pinball & the Steve Richie design has his lightning fast signature flow.

The only downsides for me were the flakey drop targets would sometimes reset several times to set. There's a Stern Bulletin that indicates that each individual drop target needs a small washer installed to flush the targets straight. I did this, the targets were better but not perfect. Also, the commentating & sound during gameplay is quite monotonic & dull. But when stacking ace in the hole w/ drop target multiball, etc. the action & sounds are electric. Even so, I highly recommend WPT!

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Easily one of the best bang for your buck titles around. Excellent gameplay w/ a very deep almost impossible to reach grand wizard mode. Ace in the hole is awesome, especially when activating it & releasing an add a ball during multiball. The surrounding 16 drop targets scream pure pinball & the Steve Richie design has his lightning fast signature flow.
The only downsides for me were the flakey drop targets would sometimes reset several times to set. There's a Stern Bulletin that indicates that each individual drop target needs a small washer installed to flush the targets straight. I did this, the targets were better but not perfect. Also, the commentating & sound during gameplay is quite monotonic & dull. But when stacking ace in the hole w/ drop target multiball, etc. the action & sounds are electric. Even so, I highly recommend WPT!

The alternative translite helps, too. Stock is SO FUGLY.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I’d recommend playing it first before you make your final decision.

Played today a few games. It's too stop and go for me, I already have Tspp which I'm much more in favor of.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Played today a few games. It's too stop and go for me, I already have Tspp which I'm much more in favor of.

On WPT you need to remove the orbit gate and disable the posts on the ramps for everything but the river card. If you do these things it flows really well and isn't stop and go.

#29 4 years ago

it’s a purchase you won’t regret.

#30 4 years ago

I always wanted to get one and go with PinSound and use a bunch of quotes from "Rounders". "I'll splesh dee paht vehnever the fahk I vant".

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It’s MUCH better than TSPP. I have both

Simpson’s will be gone soon

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It’s MUCH better than TSPP. I have both

Your opinion only and judging by your rating of Tron, DI and STLE nearly as low as possible then I can see we don't have the same taste in pins.. These three pins are some of the best pins ever created and yes I'm voting Tspp all day over WPT. Tspp >> WPT (IMO).

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Your opinion only and judging by your rating of Tron, DI and STLE nearly as low as possible then I can see we don't have the same taste in pins.. These there are perhaps (to me) some of the best pins ever created and yes I'm voting Tspp all day over WPT.

Well, all I can say is what I have currently

I like TSPP but WPT is just so different

Keith did both

WPT ain’t going anywhere

#34 4 years ago

Amazing game!!!! Keith rocks!

#35 4 years ago

I have to agree that WPT is much better than TSPP IMO. I love the Simpsons theme and really want to like this game. I just never have liked it.

#36 4 years ago

Game has about 200 mystery awards with 3 places to score them...and terrific custom scoring combos with the 3x return lanes and the mini modes.

Median price has remained a solid 3K for many years.
Worth every penny.

#37 4 years ago

RBION isn’t too stop-and-go?

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Steve Ritchie never wanted to do the WPT license, he knew that however good the game turned out to be, it would be a location dud because the average player was unlikely to get it quickly, the assumption being that you had to know poker well in order to play it. In his opinion Keith Johnson 'saved' it by saying "screw all that" with the code, but yes, it's definitely a game you have to learn to like; play it until something clicks and you realise 'wait a minute, it all boils down to doing *these* things'. If it doesn't click at all, then it simply doesn't click, but you can see why those who own it for home play love it.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I have to agree that WPT is much better than TSPP IMO. I love the Simpsons theme and really want to like this game. I just never have liked it.

TSPP plays like nothing else. There's always something to hit no matter where the ball ends up, but you do NOT try and play it like a flow game, it will kick your ass that way. The way to approach it is develop your own backhanders and tricks to go for various features in a less risky way than the shot is naturally set up. Backhanding a fully-loaded Bart captive ball is VERY satisfying.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You can definitely disable the posts which come up and stop the flow. That makes only 2 shots which stop the ball.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

You can definitely disable the posts which come up and stop the flow. That makes only 2 shots which stop the ball.

Yeah those few tweaks including removing the orbit gate are critical. This thread and the fact that there is now a ColorDMD for this game is giving me the itch to re-acquire. Must resist!

#42 4 years ago

Unfortunately WPT suffers from terrible theme, terrible art, boring DMD and terrible sound package. All of which outweighs the strong code to make a game that might fit in a larger collection but doesn't keep you playing on it's own.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from misterschu:

Unfortunately WPT suffers from terrible theme, terrible art, boring DMD and terrible sound package. All of which outweighs the strong code to make a game that might fit in a larger collection but doesn't keep you playing on it's own.

It’s just fine in my small collection.

#44 4 years ago

Hopefully this thread is ok for a continued discussion about WPT without me, at the end of the day, I passed on WPT and will be getting a Maiden pro instead. not to say they are equal in terms of anything but that I prefer modern lighting and the larger LCD display on newer pins, it will be my first Spike game. I sold my AcDc premium last week.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Hopefully this thread is ok for a continued discussion about WPT without me, at the end of the day, I passed on WPT and will be getting a Maiden pro instead. not to say they are equal in terms of anything but that I prefer modern lighting and the larger LCD display on newer pins, it will be my first Spike game. I sold my AcDc premium last week.

I have both WPT and Maiden Pro and I think you made the right call. Maiden is a far better game because it has the whole package. WPT has a great deep ruleset and layout with tons of drops and fast flowing shots but suffers everywhere else. It's a great game for the money though considering you can buy it for about the same price as a C list WPC game but there's a reason why it doesn't sell for similar prices as Maiden Pro or A list Stern games. I've owned 3 different WPT machines now mostly because of the value it provides for the money.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Trade
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-wpt-worth-and-is-it-worth-owning?hl=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.