7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 172 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JDub1006
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Wagon9.jpg
    pointless1.jpg
    2012-10-15_19-08-08_359.jpg
    See_ya_!!.gif
    tumblr_kzfp5a5g2y1qa0uujo1_500.jpg
    rearview.jpg
    052bdfd69463.gif
    2012-02-06_16-19-11_851.jpg
    5N65G35F33K83Ja3Nbca33c0300a0c0991940_.jpg
    2012-10-19_13-35-58_17.jpg
    Secret_Service_in_LED.jpg
    Secret_Service.jpg
    DSC03322.jpg
    P1010006-(2).jpg
    pink_floyd.jpg
    laughing-my-AZZ-Off.gif

There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 7 years ago

Am I the only one that cringes when I see all these god-awful mods people are putting into their machines lately? LED's on 80's and 90's games, STREET GLOW under the friggen cabinet, gaudy colored powder coating, LED Speaker Grilles... the list goes on. When I see a "decked out" machine I throw up a little. You're hard pressed to find a shopped game WITHOUT led's and other crap these days. Do people really consider them appealing and or adding value to the title? Maybe I'm oldschool, but I'd take a factory-spec restoration over some custom abomination any day of the week.

I just wonder what these guys cars look like... probably street glow, 30" sub woofers, TV's in every head rest hahaha

#2 7 years ago

I am an offender of this trend. This is a picture of my car. If people didn't like it.. then there wouldn't be people selling the parts and GAP would be out of business but its quite the contrary.

Glow-in-the-Dark1.jpg

#3 7 years ago

I would never do that to my car but that actually looks pretty cool.

#4 7 years ago

Sweet car, bro. lol

I hear ya that these businesses wouldn't be operating if no one was buying... but the same could be said about a LOT of stuff (spinner hub-caps come to mind for some reason).

#5 7 years ago

Aren't you Amurican? Freedom.... you don't want us to be free?

#6 7 years ago

Life would be boring if we all liked the same thing. If someone put the money and work in to pump out their pin than they are probably very happy with it. And proud of it. Be happy for them. I personally like it to a point. I get in moods and go through phases. Some pins I get and want it original, some I want to pump out. I don't usually like the pimp work others do, just the stuff I do. That's because people have different tastes. I don't tell them their pin made me throw up, I tell them I'm glad they are enjoying the hobby. Some guys like fake boobs and some like real boobs. Sometimes it just depends on the girl. In the end they are all boobs and boobs are nice.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevedave:

I am an offender of this trend. This is a picture of my car. If people didn't like it.. then there wouldn't be people selling the parts and GAP would be out of business but its quite the contrary.

How come you dont own a tron?

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

In the end they are all boobs and boobs are nice

Couldn't say it better my self.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

I know.. it fits me to a T... thats why the LOTR is on the block

p.s. that's not my car.. I would never do that to my car but that guy did and its cool to look at

#10 7 years ago

Please avert your eyes from my abomination of a Jurassic Park.

Oh, and my car is stock, but it is a Z4 so I think it is flashy enough as is.

Honestly, JP came with LEDs and I left them because I like to blind people, and because the translite already has damage from overheated bulbs at one point. (I would also like to note for the official record that I did not pimp out my father's Twin Win and left it totally stock with regular bulbs, even though I had LEDs at my disposal.)

JP_green_light.jpg

UPDATE: Is 20 minutes from thread start to boob talk a record around here? Somehow I doubt it.

#11 7 years ago

I just wonder what these guys cars look like... probably street glow

You've been looking in my garage again, haven't you?!? (OK, that's not mine nor do I know who owns this, but the colors match my avatar!)

gallery_img_big_4.jpg

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from cpsystem3:

When I see a "decked out" machine I throw up a little.

What a coincidence! When I read a post deriding personal tastes and someone's right to customize their own machine, I throw up a little.

#13 7 years ago

Everybody grab your barf bags!!!

2012-10-05_19-53-31_556.jpg

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevedave:

Where on your TZ is THAT mod located?

#15 7 years ago

You know what would look cool? If we took the original post and put gold trim on the outside, and some kind of topper on it.

#16 7 years ago

I AM RIGHT THERE WITH YAH BILL BARFTASTIC NOOBIES!

Whats worse is the people who think they can make MODS and its ghetto first grade toppers and noobtastic leds where they where not before.

REMEMBER WHEN A CC PF DEVALUED A MACHINE!!!!

#17 7 years ago

I don't care for it either, but I don't care what someone else does with their machine. I do think it is adding to the price inflation. Add $200 in lights and then people want that when they sell.

#18 7 years ago

This is for Shanetastic...

rainbow.jpg

#19 7 years ago

Mods never bring value in the car world nor should they in any other form. All the time i look at cars with big stereos and big prices an di say take it out i dont want it i will give yah 10 gagillion less. Same with pins. I have told people before when they say its got 300$ worth of leds....take em out i dont want em price should go down 300 etc.

#20 7 years ago

The game has changed old timers. You collection says it all. Look at Tron this batch and everyone having a ball doing it up. Thats pinball today.

Remember when bread was a nickel...

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

I was thinking the same thing about Tron I think PB_22 is selling a NIB Tron

That does look cool, I am guessing they are illegal to have on when you drive? How did they/you wire through the wheels for the lights??

To the OP: Some modding is just amazing and some is just bad, but everyone does have their own tastes. MOD-eration with mod's give the best results in my opinion. I don't mind most mods that look factory and could have been there originally. If the mods are blocking lines of sights, artwork or have an adverse effect on the game, then I do not care for them usually.

And yes boob's modded or not are great.

#22 7 years ago

Tron is different as its good stuff. People with toys all over a pf where they dont belong is lame just like taf and tz mods to death. I wont name names but there is some seriously color blind people on the forum.

All to often some posts a thread and says what do you think of this mod....they dont want to hear anything other than i want one too or how much or looks great.

I will tell you this....when my women says do these pants make me look fat....i say it aint the pants babe....... She appreciates that too. Its called brute honesty.

So when people post MUST SEE THIS what do you think threads. Be prepared to hear things like i dont like it or it sucks.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I wont name names but there is some seriously color blind people on the forum.

Seriously? Going to just fling that rock while standing in your glass house, huh?

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

This is for Shanetastic...

#25 7 years ago

As Sergeant Hulka said in the movie Stripes, ....."Lighten up Francis".

Actually, on my pins, I lean way towards to the factory-spec side.
    One reason I don't have a problem w/ many of the mods pinheads like to install,
    is that with most of them it is fairly easy to just take them back off.

Some of the bling-ed out cars I see around town w/ tv's in the head-rest not really my cup-o-tea.

Cheers!

#26 7 years ago

what about houses.. does upgraded kitchens and finished basement mods lower the price of the house?

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevedave:

what about houses.. does upgraded kitchens and finish basement mods lower the price of the house?

I put LEDs in my pool and hot tub : )

#28 7 years ago

All mods are not created equal.

LED's - better for the machine and energy cost
    Glare proof glass - just see more of the great art work
    Cliffys - Wont play my machines with out them
    CC PF - pin will last a lifetime
    Speaker upgrade - whats the problem here?

I usually classify these as upgrades, not mods.... but that is just me. I know the "mods" you are referring to but i think some clarification would be nice.

(Im a mod whore and love all of it most of the time.... and i drive a modded ducati/civic/c5 vette btw)

cheers,

and remember "In the end they are all boobs and boobs are nice"

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

I put LEDs in my pool and hot tub : )

I have a whole mess of LEDs in my hot tub.. but they came stock so no need to tinker...

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevedave:

I have a whole mess of LEDs in my hot tub.. but they came stock so no need to tinker...

Love 'em. Its like swimming in jello.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Seriously? Going to just fling that rock while standing in your glass house, huh?

anything i have ever put leds in is tastefully done and blends in with surrounding colors and blends with other colors. I am gonna upload the craptastic wh20 video when i got it. Looked like HORRIBLE but everyone else praised its horrid look.

I have never turned a corner blue or a upper pf GREEN or changed the lighting drasticly from the art on the pf. I have seen people turn entire gi's on wh20 BLUE.

Lots of people around here can back up that up from seeing what i have done to there games as well as my own.

I also do what a customer wants done to there game. I dont grab precious games off the street murder and rape them with horrid things and then sell then for 7-8 grand. That shit sucks because its one less original game for sale. Now if someone wants to do that to there game great. But to purchase games and do that shit and then hope to sell it is a horror movie itself.

ITs another thing to take games and blast bootleg disgusting art work all over the side and sell it that way too. Again if your customer wants that great but to destroy a original no matter how much the fade is just wrong.
    What bill is trying to convey is people have turned pinball into........................a RICER HONDA! FAAAAAAAAAAAAAART can and all out the back. VTECH YO!

#32 7 years ago

I put in cliffys, plastic protectors, etc., but other than that I leave my machines stock. Just a personal preference though, for some people a lot of the fun are blinging things up. If I ever get a Tron I am putting in the tron arcade mods though, as that is just way cool.

The only time I would ever have a problem with it is if I was looking to buy a machine that had a bunch of non-reversible mods on it.

#33 7 years ago

What do you mean, "Lately?" This is not new. I will say that there are now a lot more options.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

I put in cliffys, plastic protectors, etc., but other than that I leave my machines stock

About the same here - plus cool white frosted or antique white LED's to preserve the colors on the playfield. (their benefits in power consumption reduction for both the supply & my electric bill, plus their lack of heat build up sells it for me more than anything)

As far as cars are concerned, I personally don't like any LED's on mine excluding the one's I have by the factory alongside of the HID's. (but everyone is entitled to their tastes & opinions)

#35 7 years ago

VTECH YO

LOL. Those vent hole stickers add at least 10 HP.

Auto-decorative-Side-2pcs-Hood-Scoop-C.jpg

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigduke6:

You know what would look cool? If we took the original post and put gold trim on the outside, and some kind of topper on it.

And some LEDs, Yo!

"To Each His Own"
    "I disapprove of what you MOD, but I will defend to the death your right to MOD it"

#37 7 years ago

I can't wait until after Thanksgiving when I put a little Santa hat on my t-rex. Rawwr.

I know some people go overboard, but as it's been said... as long as they are reversible there really isn't any damage in someone tinkering with their pin. And if they are planning to keep it forever, they can do whatever. I'd love to change the colors on the LEDs in mine so it isn't so 'rainbow,' but I'm not comfortable taking off half the playfield to get to them, so they stay.

As a newbie getting a machine that was already in good condition that didn't need work, I felt the need to do something to it, so changing out a few lights I could reach and putting in a few dinos with removable adhesive dots made me happy and did absolutely no damage. I agree with SeaClubber that this is nothing now. But you've also got lots of new people coming in to the hobby that don't know how to shop or refinish them, are buying pins in good condition, and want to do 'something' to feel like a real pin owner than just let it sit there and play it.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

OL. Those vent hole stickers add at least 10 HP.

ebay.com link » Honda 99 00 Civic Si B Series T3 T4 Ram Horn Manifold Turbo Kit Complete Exhaust

There that is the equvialnt to what alot of people do to pins.....anyone think thats a real turbo kit.....

dont forget to pinch your vacuum line off the fpr lol.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from cpsystem3:

Am I the only one that cringes when I see all these god-awful mods people are putting into their machines lately? LED's on 80's and 90's games, STREET GLOW under the friggen cabinet, gaudy colored powder coating, LED Speaker Grilles... the list goes on. When I see a "decked out" machine I throw up a little. You're hard pressed to find a shopped game WITHOUT led's and other crap these days. Do people really consider them appealing and or adding value to the title? Maybe I'm oldschool, but I'd take a factory-spec restoration over some custom abomination any day of the week.
    I just wonder what these guys cars look like... probably street glow, 30" sub woofers, TV's in every head rest hahaha

You're not the only one but you're probably in the minority.

#40 7 years ago

I agree that some mods are way over the top. Other people's mods don't make me personally upset or want to vomit, it's just not my preference.

The only mods that I really care for on any machine that I've had is Cliffy protectors to protect the high wear areas, plastic protectors, and I've only recently taken a liking to LED's. Aesthetically, I like traditional incandescent bulbs in 90's machines for that "original survivor" look, but I like the energy efficiency of LED's and I think that that the fact that they run cooler are better for the components of the pinball machine that are prone to meltdown.

#41 7 years ago

I agree with the OP, a lot of mods are just tacky bling, anything that isn't fully reversible actually devalues a machine. Some subtle mods can be quite cool, like adding robby the robot to TZ, but undercab lighting, absurd coloured areas of LED light etc - just shitty.

Still, you can make good money by buying a pin with LEDs for the same price as one without, swapping it back to proper bulbs and selling the LEDs. It's a PITA having to do it of course, unfortunately a few people are starting to do it in this country too.

#42 7 years ago

what recent mods are irreversible? Most if not all LED mods are removable or can be turned off. Toys unless glued can be removed, other than the guy who cut his Tron playfield with a pocket knife what are we talking about?

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevedave:

what recent mods are irreversible?

Powder is....sure you can rip all that trim off but thats not feasible.

The problem comes when people think that it should bring them more money because they powdered there lotr dookey brown poke poke lol. No but really when you do stuff like that you are left at the mercy of hoping someone else likes it. Thats my biggest problem. SAy i wanted to get your lotr i wouldn't pay extra for that trim because i would have to rip it all off and put it back to stock. So my biggest gripe is when people think leds and trim and all this other stuff increases the value and then when you tell a seller you dont want it they get miffed.

Time and time again i have tried to purchase a car or pin where i dont want the mod crap but i want teh core machine and people take offense to that. One thing in the car world and its the same with anything is people need to learn anything and everything you do to something a car pin whatever is likely never going to pay out based on those mods because your left with something YOU like not necessarily what a buyer might like. House's are diffrent ball game.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Powder is....sure you can rip all that trim off but thats not feasible.

yes it is.. I took my black off.. put on gold.. I can do the opposite.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevedave:

I'm thinking powdercoating and new decals. I know there's at least TAF and Flintstones out there with cabinet and playfield decals added.

#46 7 years ago

Man, all I know is that when put a pimped out pin on the end of a 60 foot extension cord and park it at the end of my driveway for some public play, all the ladies take notice. When I pull out a stock unpimped pin and do the same, people just assume I'm trying to throw it out.

#47 7 years ago

So are we talking modding our games or modding to sell games?

#48 7 years ago

Best Tron LE mod ever.... Lest we forget.

tron_post.jpg

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevedave:

yes it is.. I took my black off.. put on gold.. I can do the opposite.

Right but would you take 600 off your asking price and swap back for a buyer is my point.

Quoted from Hwawonyu:

o are we talking modding our games or modding to sell games?

I think the biggest thing is never expect to get your money out of mods when you sell it. Its your modded machine not person a b but maybe c person might like it. If that makes sense.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Right but would you take 600 off your asking price and swap back for a buyer is my point.

no because I didnt pay $600 for my kit.. I paid $200 and yes I would take them off and discount the price... you are generalizing people..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.95
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 209.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet Parts
    PinBoltCaps
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    £ 12.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 149.00
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside