New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 95470)

What is with the cheap looking mods?

By NBAFan

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Naturalprogress
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ci_lunapark.jpg
    image-329.jpg
    image-971.jpg
    moes flooring 009.JPG
    pinball 021-648.JPG
    pinball 009-136.JPG
    moes floor turquoise 015.JPG
    AngryOldMan-LEDs.jpg
    b4after.jpg
    Rice Burner.jpg

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

New to pinside, long time RGP lurker, so please bear with me. I am just curious why all of you put very cheap looking mods on your pinball machines... For example, mirror blades, cheap chrome, LEDs, etc.

You guys are making your pinball machines look like this

Rice Burner.jpg

Seriously, I have had to revert most of my purchased machines back to incandescent bulbs and remove other crappy half ass wired mods.

I get "personal preference", but you can't honestly think that all of this stuff looks good. Right?

Maybe I am the crazy one, but I just save the money I would have bought all these mods with and add another machine to the collection...

#2 6 years ago

To each their own

#3 6 years ago

I like my LEDs a lot. I normally use brighter / premium ones. The rest of the cheap crap I avoid. I would happily pay for shipping to keep the LEDs you're pulling out from ending up in a landfill =)

#4 6 years ago

My machine, I will do what I want

On your machines you can do what you want

Isn't that simple?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from NBAFan:

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

I would happily pay for shipping to keep the LEDs you're pulling out from ending up in a landfill =)

I will save them from now on. If there are expensive looking ones, I usually hang onto them, but there have not been many.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from NBAFan:

New to pinside, long time RGP lurker,

Welcome to Pinside. Great 1st post.

#8 6 years ago

lol I guess I probably should have posted something nicer as my first post on pinside.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from NBAFan:

New to pinside, long time RGP lurker, so please bear with me. I am just curious why all of you put very cheap looking mods on your pinball machines... For example, mirror blades, cheap chrome, LEDs, etc.

Seriously, I have had to revert most of my purchased machines back to incandescent bulbs and remove other crappy half ass wired mods.
    I get "personal preference", but you can't honestly think that all of this stuff looks good. Right?
    Maybe I am the crazy one, but I just save the money I would have bought all these mods with and add another machine to the collection...

Rice Burner.jpg 24 KB

Do you disagree with games like Star Trek and Mustang that now come with LEDs?

#10 6 years ago

I do it just to piss you off.

#11 6 years ago

Before you judge people's choices, get to know them (or better yet meet them IRL). Play their pins and you may find that you actually enjoy some of the mods. I was a traditionalist once like you, but I've learned there is a place for LEDs, chrome, mirrorblades and shakers. I don't like aftermarket toppers, but I'm not going to ridicule people who buy them.

#12 6 years ago

Yeah, but Stern has made that choice based on functionality for operators. I still think it looks tacky. Most operators these days are lazy as hell and let their machines die out in the field without regular maintenance. LEDs just enable them to be even more lazy and not have to worry about changing bulbs.

#13 6 years ago

I have seen a few well maintained machines though. Kudos to the operators of those.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from NBAFan:

I will save them from now on. If there are expensive looking ones, I usually hang onto them, but there have not been many.

Thank you very much. I agree, most mods look tacky, but I do like my LEDs. I have a tendency to run out of cash for them. PM me any time!

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

Thank you very much. I agree, most mods look tacky, but I do like my LEDs. I have a tendency to run out of cash for them. PM me any time!

You even want the cheapo ones?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

I do it just to piss you off.

same here... I'm going to go LED some more machines just for the OP

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

same here... I'm going to go LED some more machines just for the OP

Please do.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

My machine, I will do what I want
    On your machines you can do what you want
    Isn't that simple?

The OP never said or suggested what you should do to your games. he was just commenting on the lack of aesthetic taste shown by the mod-obsessed.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Before you judge people's choices, get to know them (or better yet meet them IRL). Play their pins and you may find that you actually enjoy some of the mods. I was a traditionalist once like you, but I've learned there is a place for LEDs, chrome, mirrorblades and shakers. I don't like aftermarket toppers, but I'm not going to ridicule people who buy them.

I definitely hear you. I do like a shaker motor once in a while, but the rest of the stuff I have seen is all very low quality crap that does not belong there in the first place.

#20 6 years ago

Welcome to pinside, I agree with you. It's not even the mods that's the problem most of the time, it's the inflated price people expect to get out of a game that's been "modded tastefully." There is some BAD taste out there

I think some people would like to fix and tinker, but don't want to learn anything beyond the use of a zip tie or an alligator clip, so we have all these mods.

Quoted from NBAFan:

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

The OP never said or suggested what you should do to your games. he was just commenting on the lack of aesthetic taste shown by the mod-obsessed.

Yeah, I really do not care what you guys do to your machines as you should not care what I do to mine. There was some negativity in my original post, but honestly, there is just a ton of crap out there that people keep buying. I am just wondering if I am missing something. Are you guys bored with pinball?

#22 6 years ago

Another guy who's too cool to post on Pinside is now posting on Pinside. Yay!

#23 6 years ago

b4after.jpg

But seriously, all mods including changing bulbs to LEDs should be thought out and evaluated. You can slap anything in anywhere since it is your game - but to make it look appealing to others you really should put some thought into it.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from krupa:

Another guy who's too cool to post on Pinside is now posting on Pinside. Yay!

lol too cool for school

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from NBAFan:

lol too cool for school

Ha! Thumbs up for having a sense of humor.

#26 6 years ago

strange. we have 10 pinballs at a single location. MM, IM, ST, AVATAR [these are LED] and ac/dc, nascar, transformers, austin powers, shrek and sopranos [these are incandescent].

The ones with LEDs earn 2x-3x as much as the other games. sure, you could say that it's because of the title, but with ac/dc and transformers on there it doesn't hold much water.

led's bring out the true color of plastics and the playfield if done correctly. incandescents make even a NIB game look like it's sat in a smoky bar compared to LEDs.
    Not sure why I'm arguing with you - you seem like one of those old farts that screams at people to get off his lawn.

#27 6 years ago

If games with LEDs earn 2x-3x more with them installed, why don't all your games have LEDs?

Quoted from dgoett:

The ones with LEDs earn 2x-3x as much as the other games. sure, you could say that it's because of the title, but with ac/dc and Transformers on there it doesn't hold much water.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from NBAFan:

Yeah, but Stern has made that choice based on functionality for operators. I still think it looks tacky. Most operators these days are lazy as hell and let their machines die out in the field without regular maintenance. LEDs just enable them to be even more lazy and not have to worry about changing bulbs.

You assume operators changed bulbs before LEDs? Most of the operated pins I've seen they didn't even take time to wipe the grime from the playfield, and that's MUCH easier to do.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from NBAFan:

You put incandescent bulbs in your machine? That's pretty tacky if you ask me...I replaced all the gaudy incandescent lights in my games with miniature candles. Sure it takes a few minutes to light them all before I play but the warm glow of candle light on the playfield doesn't hurt my eyes like your cheap "electric lights" pffft...

#31 6 years ago

I agree with the OP.
    And welcome to Pinside, where you dare not tell people what you think of their crappy mods, or they will be Assh*les to you.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

You put incandescent bulbs in your machine? That's pretty tacky if you ask me...I replaced all the gaudy incandescent lights in my games with miniature candles. Sure it takes a few minutes to light them all before I play but the warm glow of candle light on the playfield doesn't hurt my eyes like your cheap "electric lights" pffft...

How do you prevent flickering?

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I agree with the OP.
    And welcome to Pinside, where you dare not tell people what you think of their crappy mods, or they will be Assh*les to you.

Wow, shock, you treat people like an asshole and get treated back like one.

You know what I do when I go into a thread and see a tacky machine? I close the thread without commenting, because I don't feel the need to make someone else feel bad or defensive to make myself feel better. If they're happy with it then let them enjoy. Believe me, I skip leaving a lot of comments. But why be a jerk?

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Wow, shock, you treat people like an asshole and get treated back like one

I didn't think the original post was treating people like an asshole.

Quoted from Aurich:

You know what I do when I go into a thread and see a tacky machine? I close the thread without commenting, because I don't feel the need to make someone else feel bad or defensive to make myself feel better. If they're happy with it then let them enjoy. Believe me, I skip leaving a lot of comments. But why be a jerk?

Good policy, I also avoid telling someone their machine looks tacky, crappy, overdone, etc..
    But the OP didn't call out anyone or anything in particular, it just stated an opinion that many people agree with.
    (well, some people agree with)
    What bugged me was the defensive, snarky responses he got, from those that obviously don't agree.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from NBAFan:

You even want the cheapo ones?

Yeah. There are places for those sometimes also. Light and shadow can be sometimes augmented with a few cheaper dimmer ones. I will gladly pay the shipping if you save a few up rather than throw them out
    Thanks in advance!
    Jim

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I didn't think the original post was treating people like an asshole.

seriously? I thought it was pretty blatant.

anywho, i agree with the op. i don't do mods other than insert leds or cliffies. It doesn't do anything for me. To each their own, however. i've played some really neat modded games but that's money down the crapper for me.

#37 6 years ago

I like the fact that people can and do personalize their games. This individuality is something I enjoy about the hobby, whether or not I happen to share another person's taste. I do prefer that mods be removable for the sake of the next owner, but most are. That's not to say that some mods aren't a lot better than others, and that some are grossly overpriced or otherwise problematic (e.g., by altering gameplay).

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

If games with LEDs earn 2x-3x more with them installed, why don't all your games have LEDs?

I have put LEDs in all the machines I maintain on location, the machines are making on average 2x more per machine than they did last year

and no more burned up GI power connectors on power driver boards

#39 6 years ago

Man, this OP has some courage!

What's next? You gonna argue with some street pimps about women's rights?

I appreciate your honesty and that photo is hilarious. Unfortunately,that car belongs to pinsider Rare Hero.

#40 6 years ago

The people that are worse than the over-modders are clearly the ones that just have to comment on other people's opinions, as if their's is superior or in some way important at all.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

Unfortunately,that car belongs to pinsider Rare Hero.

I wish, I'd make him drive me around in it.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

The people that are worse that the over-modders are clearly the ones that just have to comment on other people's opinions, as if their's is superior or in some way important at all.

Damn, I didn't realize people would be so defensive of their mods. Go ahead an mod away, no skin off my back. I just wanted to be honest with you guys with my opinion. Some of you need to hear this because obviously nobody is giving you honest feedback in real life.

Also some good info on LEDs in operated machines in this thread.

#43 6 years ago

I think if we can all take something from this fascinating discussion it's that we should seek the opinions of long time RGP lurkers and pinside noobs before modding

#44 6 years ago

Well, to each their own, but recently I had a SM, an XMLE, and an IM in a row all with LEDs and mirror blades and the visual effect was spectacular. Everyone had extremely positive comments. Looked amazing.

#45 6 years ago

I like placing mods in my games and have no issues about it. LEDs are amazing, and I have some collector toys waiting for a Star Trek if I ever get one.

Should have maybe introduced yourself without starting a thread so agressively bashing what people do to their property. Cars are out in the public and are seen by hundreds a day, pinball is in your home and enjoyed no matter what is placed into it. Can't compare the 2.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Cars are out in the public and are seen by hundreds a day, pinball is in your home and enjoyed no matter what is placed into it. Can't compare the 2.

Wait, I thought we loved 'carguments' on Pinside?

#47 6 years ago

I've never understood the "don't disturb my holier than thou pinball machine" attitude. It's not like we're painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa here. Do TONS of Pinsiders have blatantly tacky mods / toppers / Skittle LED jobs? Hell yes! Is it ugly? Hell yes! Does that mean all mods / LEDs are lame? Hell no.

I remember "the old days" back on RGP 10-12 years ago. I used to do some mods way back then before it was the rage, and it was impossible to find others doing it or info for inspiration. I was thrilled when I found Pinside and the over-modders, because I could parse through the bad ideas to find some cool ones. Something looks like it fits or it doesn't. That should be the judge. Not the fact that you know it wasn't there originally. If you put something in a game that looks cool and the average person (not a pinball geek like us) would think it was original, then that is the real test.

And as far as LEDs, I hate how over the top color-bombed so many people's games are. But I also really hate incandescent bulbs. I know for some people that warm yellow glow is nostalgic, but not me. In most cases I'll take a cool white light over warm any day. The colors look more natural. And if you can use some colors here and there to gently enhance things, all the better.

#48 6 years ago

I don't have any mirror blades, but I have always found them to look great.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

I don't have any mirror blades, but I have always found them to look great.

i agree. better than the boring black sideboard

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 289.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Various Novelties
    Allteksystems
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside