Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

friend-jesus-pennsylvania (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 5 years ago

The crazy thing is I live in Central PA and have for over 30 years and I buy more machines out of state then in PA. When I was buying off craig's list 6 or 7 years ago most of the great deals I got came out of Maryland or the Washington DC area.

I love having two of the best shows on earth within a couple hour drive time but rarely do I pick up machines in PA. I don't remember ever picking up a machine I didn't have to drive at least an hour each way for!

Quoted from tiltmonster:

Plus in the Philadelphia area we have TNT Amusement and The Pinball Gallery, a little west we had Dan (The Pinball Man) a great restorer/collector whos selling off his machines and moving away... just to name a few.

Dan has is referring to is Dan Heatherly for any of you guys that don't already know that. Dan's brother Bill is also a great restorer but he does mostly very early arcade stuff these days. Both of these guys are huge assets to the pinball community that seem to be hidden in the shadows most of the time. Another HUGE asset to the pinball community is Jim from JTamusements (Gott Lieb? over on RGP) - he helps more people in a day than most guys do in a month!

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

Don’t forget Cointaker and a PinballStar are based in PA!

And we also have the EAGLES but sometimes I wish we didn't. Phila sports teams always seem to choke when it comes to big games! Somehow the Eagles didn't last year but they are back to normal this year!

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I wish I knew where all these DC and Maryland deals are - the last one I got was my FIRST ever machine, a good-not-great Addams I scored for $5400 or so. Wish I’d sold it for what it’s worth now..

"Deals" are something that happened in the past. This hobby has grown to the point over the past few years that the days of finding a GREAT DEAL are pretty much long gone. From time to time you can get an OK deal if you work your ass off at it but for the most part deals are in the rear view mirror.

That is why I have a hard time understanding all the negativity here on Pinside when someone offers machines for sale at fair prices? No one is buying dozens of machines a year at 50 cents on a dollar except for someone like Lloyd at Coinopwarehouse. But even Lloyd has started paying crazy high prices for pins just to keep his international customers happy. I know guys that have sold Lloyd machines for more then they could have sold them for here or on RGP so Lloyd isn't even buying pins like in the past.

7 or 8 years ago you could still get a deal on a pin from Lloyd from time to time. Now he is paying close to average selling prices for better titles.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

If only they would teach PA drivers to keep right unless passing. Every PA driver seems to think it's their job to stay in the left lane until they are 50 feet from their exit!

Passing on the shoulder also seems to have become a new sport on some of the PA Interstates. But if you don't like PA drivers try spending a few days in Miami, Florida. Last time I was their I told my wife all the New York drivers that didn't know how to drive when they lived in NY retire in Miami and now they can't see or hear so it is really interesting driving their. I made a 75 mile trip past Miami and passed 11 accidents in an hour and a half. And that was the good trip - on the way home I sat in traffic almost 4 hours while they cleaned one up!

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Seriously? Have you even driven in your home state of NJ? I get paid to drive and NJ drivers are the worst in the 7 states I drive regularly. And don't get me started to your "circles"...

I think NY is worse then NJ but North Jersey might as well be NY. I grew up in Central Jersey and moved to Central PA about 30 years ago. These days I hate to go anywhere East of Harrisburg PA. It seems the further East you go the worse it gets. NY, NJ or Eastern PA are all about the same in my eyes. But at least in PA the rest areas are still open!

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

You've got a friend in Pennsylvania.

The State Police!

#40 5 years ago

Seems like this Topic has gotten way off topic.

In all honesty I think the reason you see so many machines in this area is pretty simply. Within about 200 miles I can be in New York City, Phila, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington DC & Allentown, PA. Probably one of the most populated areas in the country from 1940 to around 2000 when pinball was at its peak. So it stands to reason more machines would end up here then anywhere else in the world.

The problem we have here now is there are a ton of pinball collectors & hobbyist in the area fighting over those machines. So you might see a good deal on a machine in a local ad but in 15 minutes a dozen people have already contacted the seller.

Bottom line is PA is a great place to live if you are in the pinball hobby but it still isn't easy scoring a deal here in PA these days!

#52 5 years ago

Two can play this game! HELLO!

#53 5 years ago

Have a Great Christmas & Happy and Safe New Year Colson. Any progress with your custom machine? I made good use of that backglass and it helped me save yet another machine.

Thanks,
    Skip

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

You are sadly mistaken. its Jersey Tags every time i see a left lane DICK!

New York tags for people who use both lanes at the same time!

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

NY drivers don't know the meaning of lanes. It's a free for all. NJ/PA are much better.

At least here in PA most people can stay between the lines. Sadly most people still don't know how to drive pretty much anywhere in the Northeast but Miami makes people here look like experts.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Halloween pin is moving a little slow...working on PF and cabinet artwork. I’ll have more time this winter. Have a good Christmas and New Year too Skip.

Colson,

It is always tough to find time to do your own stuff when you have a family. Enjoy Christmas with them - there will be plenty of time for pinball stuff once you little girl is all grown up but you will never get these years back again. I learned the hard way with my two boys. I was always too busy for family stuff when I was 'young and dumb' now I think back on how much I missed over the years and it makes me want to cry. On a positive note I have a great relationship with both of my boys and my two daughter-in-laws also so all is good in the end.

Later,
    Skip

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

And people are buying them the minute he posts them. He's basically printing money.

Lloyd has created the "perfect storm". When I first met Lloyd about 10 or 12 years ago I was impressed. He just seemed like a class act who worked his ass off to get where he was in life. The more I followed what Lloyd was doing the more I realized what a smart business man he was.

Now that he is collecting warehouses and filling them with machines while sell stuff faster then he can list it I am even more impressed.

Now for the negatives: I hate the fact he keeps shipping containers of machines out of the country taking them away from our local market. I hate the fact us locals can no longer buy from Lloyd because his prices are insane. And I hate the fact he is just basically a flipper.

In any event - like Disney - he has perfected the art of picking peoples pockets and having them say thank you. The reason I compare him to Disney is we just spent a couple weeks in Orlando and the Disney business model is insanely impressive. Charge people over $100 a day to get into a park to stand in line to pay almost $10 for a hot dog! Have people waiting in line for an hour or more to go on a ride that is basically advertising for Disney. And so on!

1 week later
    #76 5 years ago

We just got back from delivering a machine to HEP and I parked next to a pick up that had a front tag on it saying "IM 5ORRY" using the 5 instead of am S for the sorry. My wife loved it and told me I should see if that was taken here in PA. Kind of sums up my life for sure!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-up-in-pa?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.