(Topic ID: 180280)

What is this thing that exploded inside my power box?

By NYP

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    2673b61f3377f0bf0a93d36b7f4f2b59aa981b83 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0168 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I can't seem to identify what this part is but it's sort of exploded inside my power box and I need to find one. Anyone know what it is or where I can find a replacement? It's out of an Williams Indiana Jones power box where the line cord and service outlet are located.

IMG_0168 (resized).jpgIMG_0168 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Veristor...aka MOV, Metal oxide veristor.
    You need this part. Marcos, $1.60

#4 7 years ago

No, not a thermistor! That is still intact and is green in your picture!

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from skywelker:

Looks like the thermistor

No, that's the other one you need.

#6 7 years ago

I thought the green one was the MOV?

#7 7 years ago

This is the pinwiki photo.

2673b61f3377f0bf0a93d36b7f4f2b59aa981b83 (resized).jpg2673b61f3377f0bf0a93d36b7f4f2b59aa981b83 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

Thermistor (gray disc) is cracked. You can see the leg on the right is pulling free. It needs replaced.

#9 7 years ago

Edit edit. I mixed it up in my head. You were right, I'll pull up picture first before posting next time. Better yet, just always post picture first.
    This comes up often. Third time seen similar question this month. You think I'd get it right.

#10 7 years ago

At least we got op question answered in under 10 min.

#11 7 years ago

Ya I had to go back and look at a picture after you posted, was definitely questioning it myself. Team work!

#13 7 years ago

Yes, that's the part you need.

These parts can be distinguished by function: MOVs are intended to protect against voltage spikes and are connected between hot and neutral (excess voltage shunted from hot to neutral); thermistors limit the inrush current spike and are connected in series with the hot leg.

If it were me, I'd also replace the MOV. These devices become increasingly less effective the more surges they absorb, and don't necessarily give any visual indication when they go bad.

#14 7 years ago

The MOV at Marco's is red now, modern color. Now that all our machines are getting to be 25 years old, well they are 25 year old parts now. For better reliability when I'm in or near the power box for another reason I've been making this upgrade to bulletproof my machines.

VARISTOR MOV 130V

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5017-09044-00

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#15 7 years ago

MOV = V130LA20P
    MOV mounts *across* the two inputs to the filter.

Current inrush limitor = B57238S0259M
    Mounts inline with the AC input (the one that broke)

Both of these can be found here:
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=76

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-this-thing-that-exploded-inside-my-power-box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.