Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_05967.JPG
IMG_05979.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG
#1 12 years ago

The technician who came to my house didn't recognize it. It's a TFTC machine. I'd like to know if I have a much bigger problem before I start fixing some of the other problems it's having. Thanks!

IMG_0595.JPGIMG_0595.JPG IMG_0596.JPGIMG_0596.JPG IMG_05979.JPGIMG_05979.JPG

#2 12 years ago

It looks like a repair job. Not a very pretty one, though.

What's the number on the integrated circuit?

Betcha $5 it's a 555, and it's there because the batteries leaked and damaged the resistors + 555 chip (in the blanking circuit) on the board, and the guy decided it would be cleaner to wire up the fix on a little board on the bench, rather than replace the parts in place (presumably because the traces were shot, so it'd be a jumper-wire-filled mess if done in place).

So, are you experiencing problems with the blanking circuit? (symptom would be all solonoids firing when machine was turned on)

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

So, are you experiencing problems with the blanking circuit? (symptom would be all solonoids firing when machine was turned on)

Hmmm... I thought maybe the machine was supposed to do that when it came on. Checking for loose balls, etc... But yeah, after turning on the power, the crypt keeper's voice says, "No." Then every little gadget starts running (solenoids firing?) and the TFTC music comes on briefly.

#4 12 years ago

At most, the gadgets that need to be initialized (usually, anything with a motor in it) will fire, nothing else should, nor should the music play.

So it's an unsuccessful attempt at fixing the blanking circuit, or a fix which worked but has now broken.

I suspect if you removed that black thing underneath it and investigated further, you'd find a broken wire or a trace that's not connected to the rest of the machine (due to the acid damage that prompted this repair), (or you'd find that the guy who did that wired it up wrong, which is always a possibility).

#5 12 years ago

Ok. Thanks for the help, DrAzzy.

#6 12 years ago

I think DrA is giving some good direction, but I was wondering based on your initial post...

You don't really mention a "problem" in your initial post. You were just seeking an answer to that repair on the board.

So the machine won't boot into attract mode?

Got 6 balls in there? Once it gets past it's initial urge to kick every coil/VUK, etc......what happens then? Is it a perpetual process with the coils firing, or does it then migrate to attract mode?

#7 12 years ago

It migrates to attract mode. One problem is with my right bottom flipper getting stuck in the up position. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-right-flipper-locks-until-drain The other problem is my brand new DMD is dead. When the technician first installed it, there were just random clouds of dots on the screen. But then I think he got it working when he ran the diagnostics on it. At any rate, the DMD was working until my flipper stopped working. Since then the DMD has reverted back to the clouds of dots, and now it's dead since I tried running the diagnostics a couple of times. Tomdotcom gave me a Data East repair guide (thanks, Tom!) and it seems to be a power issue. I may just have to replace a blown fuse (hopefully).

#8 12 years ago

The music is normal. Probably to verify to the owner the sound board is working correctly.

#9 12 years ago

Fired up my TFTC last night. Switch on, lights on, games says "no payem" then gets cut off (not unusual) then it just goes to the attract mode light show. No coils firing, no music, etc.

what is the blanking LED doing on your CPU board? Does it stay lit as it is supposed to?

So you can start a game, play it fine (using left flipper only), music/sounds work, etc. etc.? If so, don't worry about your CPU board now. Get everything else fixed first.

1 week later
#10 12 years ago

Ok. I think I've found a source of one of my problems. There is a blackened plug on my circuit board. It's marked CN1 and looking at my handbook it governs Strobe S1-S9. Those are just the strobe lights behind the backglass right?

#11 12 years ago

Maybe it's a BORG implant...

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Angyalpor:

Maybe it's a BORG implant...

I doubt it. It hasn't made any attempts to assimilate anyone yet.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from DEVILinIRON:

Angyalpor said:Maybe it's a BORG implant...

That made me chuckle

Sorry you're having so many issues with your first machine. Hang in there, we'll get it fixed.

#14 12 years ago

Thanks, robertmee. I'm looking forward to it.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from DEVILinIRON:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 15.00
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 64.00
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-this-thing-on-my-circuit-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.