(Topic ID: 270626)

What is this razor sharp piece of metal on the ball chute for?

By undrdog

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by undrdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6284 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6285 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

What is this razor sharp piece of rusty metal that is on the ball chute for?

Will I go to Pinball Hell if I remove it?

Should I get a tetanus shot?

IMG_6284 (resized).JPGIMG_6284 (resized).JPGIMG_6285 (resized).JPGIMG_6285 (resized).JPG
    #2 3 years ago

I thought an up to date tetanus shot was a requirement before working on any pinball machine

#3 3 years ago

Been meaning to check my shot records since I began working on this beast several weeks ago. I’ve fed it enough, that's for sure.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

What is this razor sharp piece of rusty metal that is on the ball chute for?
    Will I go to Pinball Hell if I remove it?
    Should I get a tetanus shot?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

As your EM Pinball MD, I strongly suggest that you not make a habit of dismantling or adding parts of machines that were designed by geniuses until further research has been approved here.

#5 3 years ago

I’m taking a wild assed guess that the ball chute perhaps used to have a cover, and that piece is all that’s left of the noble clip that held the cover on. Why else would there be a big ball shaped hole in the side of the chute labeled Insert Balls Here?*

Anyone know if my guess is correct? (But I didn’t find a cover in the parts catalog.)

*I tried, but couldn’t get near close enough!

#6 3 years ago

I don't know for sure what game this is on, but I'm guessing a Wms based on the font. I am wondering if the copper looking piece was supposed to be longer, and angled toward the hole? And, that a piece broke off, giving you a very sharp corner. If the piece was flexible, you would pull it back to insert a ball, and it would spring back, not allowing a ball to exit. It would also be rounded.

I looked thru my Wms catalogs from 1971 thru 1978 and did not see a piece with a hole in the side.

#7 3 years ago

It’s Heat Wave have to look a bit earlier. I had a quick look through the 1966 catalog on Planetary Pinball but didn't see a drawing of the ball trough.
    I don't have anything on my machine but your theory sounds very reasonable.

#8 3 years ago

I'm taking it off. Probably will devalue this classic machine by ten whole cents, but its worth the hit.

#9 3 years ago

Definitely worth not taking a trip to urgent care for stitches.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Definitely worth not taking a trip to urgent care for stitches.

Oh, now you tell me!! Just kidding... the cut wasn't that bad.

#11 3 years ago

Don’t just stand there, call a doctor. Then help me find my thumb!

#12 3 years ago

Just so folks know... the tetanus shot you got as a kid has worn off. If you haven't had one since then, check with your doc!

#13 3 years ago

Us old folks get a Tdap vaccine when the grandkids start arriving... so, all good in that department!

#14 3 years ago

I just rub it in dirt.

#15 3 years ago

Take that piece off and straighten it out, it’s sort of a one way spring for inserting balls. Several games on ipdb.org show that piece like Coquette

https://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=567&picno=56923&zoom=1

#16 3 years ago

Every EM pin needs about 3 cubic centimeters of blood per year to satisfy the Relay Gods. This is the blood collection tool.

#17 3 years ago

The idea of balls needing a hole or a one way guard to the hole is just plain silly. Are the balls going to jump out and have an escape? What’s wrong with just putting the ball in through the top of the chute?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-this-razor-sharp-piece-of-metal-on-the-ball-chute-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.