Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSC_9902 (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

I have been shopping my IJ pinball machine and am now reassembling it. I have been studying pictures on-line as I have noticed that some parts were not installed properly by whoever shopped it before I owned it or, unfortunately, didn't reinstall some parts at all. There is a "U" or "V" shaped metal piece under the right ramp that my machine is missing--see the picture below that I found online (it is the shiny metal piece in the lower right corner of the picture on top of the plastics). I have tried to find it for sale on-line and cannot find it. So I have two questions. First, does anybody know the purpose of this piece? It appears that it might be a light shield and is not structural. Second, does anybody have an IJ parts machine or know of somebody with a parts machine that I could buy this from?

DSC_9902 (resized).jpgDSC_9902 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I assumed it was extra support for the right ramp but I am unsure. Maybe to much light escapes from underneath?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I assumed it was extra support for the right ramp but I am unsure. Maybe to much light escapes from underneath?

I think it is to stop light escaping as there are several flashers and lights in front of it. Anybody with an IJ machine, can you see if it supports the ramp at all. If not offering support to the ramp then I am not as worried about not having it but I would like the machine to be as complete as possible. I am kind of OCD that way.

#4 7 years ago

It only touches the ramp at the very top. Also the piece extends past the aid of the ramp. It might divert some light but no way it blocks it.

Hope that helps!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 7 years ago

Pretty sure it's there to keep air balls from getting trapped under the ramp.

#6 7 years ago

I don't have an Indy, but maybe it's to keep the ball from getting trapped up there.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

It only touches the ramp at the very top. Also the piece extends past the aid of the ramp. It might divert some light but no way it blocks it.
Hope that helps!

Yes, those pictures help very much, thank you!!

Quoted from Skins:

Pretty sure it's there to keep air balls from getting trapped under the ramp.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I don't have an Indy, but maybe it's to keep the ball from getting trapped up there.

Ahh, now that makes sense, I can see how a ball could get stuck under there but in the last 10 years that I have had the game, and have played it a bunch, that has never happened.

If anybody knows anybody who is parting out there machine, please let me know as I am not sure that this piece would be produced in the after market.

#8 7 years ago

I think it is to keep the balls from getting stuck there. My IJ had balls bouncing everywhere due to those drop targets.

#9 7 years ago

Correct. If a ball were to get up there it would get stuck behind the ramp. That metal piece is there to allow the ball to keep traveling and not get stuck.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels
Other
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
14,000 (OBO)
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Wanted
25,000 (Firm)
$ 9.95
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, OH
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 63.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-this-metal-piece-for-on-ij and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.