• Latest reply 9 years ago by crlush
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0655.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Foolishly, I decided to buy a project pin to enhance my skills at repairing pinball machines. The plan was to learn more about fixing the mechanics with a game I did not care too much about, but I ended up with a pin that works pretty well, but has tons of surface and cosmetic issue.

Today's issue is the strange stain lines on the playfield. The previous owner pulled the mylar off and I'm thinking it might be glue from that, but they are smooth and don't really have an edge that come up from the playfield.

IMG_0655.JPGIMG_0655.JPG

Any suggestions?

I'm still too dumb at this point to not even know what I don't know.

#2 9 years ago

Those are the areas that weren't covered by the mylar.
Follow this link and you can see where the playfield was unprotected.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7960-554

#3 9 years ago

Thanks. That makes perfect sense. Too bad I was not more observant, as I have looked at that mylar image several times in the last couple of months.

#4 9 years ago

Williams had a **great** idea in leaving that gap in the Mylar.

#5 9 years ago

That gap drives me nuts. The only reason I can see them having left it like that was because it was a Friday and the meeting ran long so they were going to be late for lunch.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Williams had a **great** idea in leaving that gap in the Mylar.

Kinda like Gottlieb ending the mylar just above the flippers on Sys 3 pins?

1 week later
#7 9 years ago

Mine looked exactly the same as that after taking off the mylar, but once the glue is off you can use magic eraser to take off that layer of yellowed clear coat. Once you do that, though, you're committed to re-clear it since you're basically down to paint or close to it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/curbfeelers-f14-tomcat-restoration-it-begins

Have you decided if you want to re-clear it?

Dan

#8 9 years ago

best solution to those areas is the 5ft rule.... stand behind it , ready to play, push start, stand upright, hit flippers, play your 3-5 balls per game AND DONT BOW DOWN TO FOCUS YOUR EYESIGHT ON THOSE SPOTS.... like the football coach told the boys..." IT IS WHAT IT IS " (whatever that really means?)

those spots use to bug me too, but not anymore

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

best solution to those areas is the 5ft rule.... stand behind it , ready to play, push start, stand upright, hit flippers, play your 3-5 balls per game AND DONT BOW DOWN TO FOCUS YOUR EYESIGHT ON THOSE SPOTS.... like the football coach told the boys..." IT IS WHAT IT IS " (whatever that really means?)
those spots use to bug me too, but not anymore

Best rule ever. We as collectors get too hung up on this kinda small stuff. You don't play a pin with the glass off hunched over with your eyes 3 inches from the playfield. I have learned to live with a lot of wear I hardly ever notice unless I'm cleaning a game.

#10 9 years ago
I'm great with having pins that are players, but the previous owner pulled his mylar. His pin looks great now, but how will it look in a year? Unless he clears that area, it may not be trashed, but it won't look as good as it does now.

Agree that the yellow stain isn't a huge deal, though.

Dan

#11 9 years ago

Some nice brite leds will hide any flaws on that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-this-junk-on-my-f14-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.