Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
hurricane_(resized).jpg
Oye_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hello!
Happy new year.
Recently I bought one pinball hurricane Williams.
I see in playfield something like a transparent film,
It begins behind the racquets until above.
It is very dirty, can I remove it or there is reason why it exists and I must clean it. I attach photos and video to see.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 8 years ago

It is Mylar and it can be removed by freezing or heating it

#3 8 years ago

That's mylar buddy. It's a thick clear film that protects the playfield. Installed on a lot of games from the factory during the 80's/90's. Now they use a better spray on clear coat. Clean it and leave it alone unless you really just feel like it needs to come off, and proceed with caution if you decide to remove. Good luck!!!

#4 8 years ago

Check out the numerous threads on mylar removal of you decide to take it off. There is s real risk of paint loss even if you are super careful and experienced.

#5 8 years ago

It protects the playfield from damage and is generally easy to clean. Though you might have an easier time getting it off of a diamond plate playfield, I have found the risk of damage outweighs the marginal benefits of removing it. Unless you are trying to do a top notch restoration I would clean it up and leave it in tact.

#6 8 years ago

Take very good care removing it if you do decide to remove mylar from a playfield, doing it wrong can take the artwork with it.

Also, is it me or are those flipper 'rubbers' several elastic bands put over the flipper bats?

#7 8 years ago

I would leave it... protects the playfield. If it is not peeling up then just use novus 1 and clean it up

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from windoesnot:

Also, is it me or are those flipper 'rubbers' several elastic bands put over the flipper bats?

LOL, I think so too. In general the machine looks like it could use new rubbers anyway.

#9 8 years ago

Thanks for the answers,
as you look at the photos if you see carefully where it says play it and above at x2 x3 etc , it seems like between Mylar and playfield it has hydrated and blur. I tried to clean it but I can't so it is under that. What can I do better?

Thanks again!

#10 8 years ago

It has lifted from the playfield from the heat of the insert bulbs. Nothing to do, unless you remove all of the mylar..

#11 8 years ago

What would you do if you had my problem?

#12 8 years ago

I had a funhouse in similar shape. I removed the mylar with a low setting on a heat gun, slowly peeling it up and then it took hours with a citrus based cleaner to remove the mess the glue leaves behind. I was lucky and didn't lose artwork, but it is really a gamble. Mine came out great, but if it goes the other way......
You need a new set of rubbers ! You are aware of vendors for them? Only a few bucks and will make that play so much better

#13 8 years ago

I would leave it if you can put up with it. There are many threads on how to clean the mylar up to make it much more presentable ,basically a plastic cleaner and elbow grease... as far as the insert bubbling, maybe change your bulbs to leds to reduce heat and keep it from getting worse.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It has lifted from the playfield from the heat of the insert bulbs. Nothing to do, unless you remove all of the mylar..

You can try putting a pinhole with a needle into the raised mylar and a little clear adhesive to stick it back down.

#15 8 years ago

I would just leave it. You run a real risk of paint loss, unless you are an expert at Mylar removal.

#16 8 years ago

If you remove it you would just have to replace it with more mylar otherwise there is nothing protecting the paint.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

If you remove it you would just have to replace it with more mylar otherwise there is nothing protecting the paint.

? Just wax 'er and play!

#18 8 years ago

You're definitely going to want to get rid of that red rubber band on the left slingshot and replace it with a proper white rubber. In fact, you'll probably want to replace ALL the rubbers in your machine, if that particular one is indicative of their condition.

#19 8 years ago

You'll know it when you see it!
Oye_(resized).jpgOye_(resized).jpg

#20 8 years ago

Is pinball popular in Greece? First time I've seen a pinsider from there.

#21 8 years ago

There are some people who have pinball. I bought it from someone for 400 dollars. But with many problems as you see. Also a raw of lights in the left side not working. Do you think that this is a good price? One more question, the Mylar with what can I clean it? In Greece the novus 1,2,3 don't exist.

#22 8 years ago

Leave the Mylar alone. If your just getting into pinball and learning what Mylar is, just clean it. Clean it, fix the lights and make it playable. New balls and rubbers are important and cheap. Leave the Mylar alone for now.

#23 8 years ago

400 US doesn't seem to bad. If you have to order rubber rings online, you should be able to get novus from the same place. Don't use anything water-based if you use something else. I would think it would be harder to get Naptha there than Novus. Here's some US links to get some rubbers and Novus.

https://www.titanpinball.com/ They have some great silicone rubbers and sell novus.
http://www.marcospec.com/ They sell all kinds of parts.
http://www.pinballlife.com/ They also sell a bunch of parts.

There used to be a page around here with a list of stuff for first time owners. LEDs, flipper rebuilds, board repair, stuff like that. Maybe someone else has the link.

#24 8 years ago

If you try to remove the mylar you will cause more damage and make it look worse than better. Buy a new rubber kit, balls, novus 2 cleaner and wax.

#25 8 years ago

Leave it.....get a buffer and buff it out. If you try to remove mylar from a sys 11 you will lose some art.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Leave it.....get a buffer and buff it out. If you try to remove mylar from a sys 11 you will lose some art.

Hurricane is not a system 11...only Cyclone. Hurricane is WPC and is probably diamond plate so the risk is less.

#27 8 years ago

leave it, clean it, buy new rubbers,
and then play it!

unless you have someone you know who knows how to remove and is experienced
my friend just screwed his paint !

#28 8 years ago

The more I look at the video the more I think a good cleaning with the right products and also treat her to a new set of rubber will do wonders. While your at it, I would be willing to bet a new set of shinny pinballs and new batteries will be a great idea..

#29 8 years ago

since you must be really new to the hobby. You should leave it alone. Just clean it up with it on. It will be ok. I would not suggest trying to take it off, especially since this is the first time you even have seen it.

#30 8 years ago

Can I put every led I want? Will the leds fit correctly (right connection)? Or will I have to buy an extra equipment except for the leds?

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

Can I put every led I want? Will the leds fit correctly (right connection)? Or will I have to buy an extra equipment except for the leds?

LEDS will fit fine, just figure out if you need #555 or #47, which you can tell by the base. #555 you just push in with the wedge base, #44/#47 you twist in.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

Also a raw of lights in the left side not working.

this most likely means a connector in your back box is burnt. As of right now I would focus on getting new rubbers for your game and some cleaners for the playfield.

#33 8 years ago

How can I find how many led I need to buy and which colors?

#34 8 years ago

I m sending you one more video so that you see better the bad situation of playfield

#35 8 years ago

It needs a good shop out for sure

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

I m sending you one more video so that you see better the bad situation of playfield
» YouTube video

ewww, like nails down a chaulkboard Also, you need new rubber post rings & sleeves. These are all very cheap items and if you are already paying to ship them, order some extras.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

How can I find how many led I need to buy and which colors?

Many of the LED vendors have kits already put together but you will pay a little more for the convenience. Or you can start a thread here on pinside asking other Hurricane owners for help.

#38 8 years ago

^^ that ^^

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Hurricane is not a system 11...only Cyclone. Hurricane is WPC and is probably diamond plate so the risk is less.

True...thought it was a cyclone.

#40 8 years ago

Can I clean the playfield with azax for windows?

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

Can I clean the playfield with azax for windows?

PLEASE, NO! Don't use the general cleaning products that you use in your home for your playfield, except when you know exactly what you're doing. They often do more harm than good. Pinball machines require a more subtle approach, with specialty products. In Europe, there are some good vendors where you can buy these.

Some examples:
http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/spareparts/cleaningproducts.html
http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/index.php/cPath/37

That 'Red Devil' is a good product that you can use for cleaning the playfield.

Good luck!

#42 8 years ago

Red devil works great on diamond plated playfield but it is more agressive than most cleaning products in your home.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from melappels:

Red devil works great on diamond plated playfield but it is more agressive than most cleaning products in your home.

Hurricane has a diamond plated playfield, like all Bally/WMS playfields of the dmd-era.

#45 8 years ago

One more question. The metallic ramps that have a little oxidation how can I clean them to make them shine?

Also I read the green soap is good for cleaning the playfield. What kind ? liquid green soap or solid?

#46 8 years ago

Go with Novis 1 to clean the playfield. If you want to get the ramps like new, perhaps send them to Mike Chestnut for replating.

#47 8 years ago

go with novus 2. You don't need anything else.

#48 8 years ago

External the woods of cambine how can I clean them without damage the paint? Again with novus 2?

#49 8 years ago

For the cabinet you can use simple green

#50 8 years ago

For the metal ramps you can use a high speed buffing wheel with some metal polishing compound

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-this-in-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.