DSC06305 (resized).JPG
DSC06304 (resized).JPG
DSC06304 (resized).JPG
DSC06289 (resized).JPG
Criterium 75 Screen scot 2 (resized).png
Criterium 75 screen shot (resized).png
DSC06291 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I'm working on a barn find Criterium 75 by Recel. This first thing I did was replace a badly burned coil on the bottom board. The coil powered a small score reel, but it didn't seem like the reel was in the right place.

DSC06291 (resized).JPGDSC06291 (resized).JPGDSC06289 (resized).JPGDSC06289 (resized).JPG

I have looked at pictures and youtube videos, and it doesn't look like other Criterium 75s have this score reel. It looks like someone moved the extra ball/ extra game jones plug and added this thing. But why?

Criterium 75 screen shot (resized).pngCriterium 75 screen shot (resized).pngCriterium 75 Screen scot 2 (resized).pngCriterium 75 Screen scot 2 (resized).png

I don't have all of the game's bugs worked out, but I have played more than 30 games, and this reel doesn't move. That doesn't seem to affect gameplay, though.

After looking at the pictures of other machines, I can see that I am missing a bell unit. I do have a chime mech that works, but it doesn't ring for the ten point relay. I tried connecting a working bell unit to the reel's wires, but it didn't chime for ten points.

Any ideas? Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

The only thing I could suggest is to see what it is connected to on the schematic. It might provide a clue of what they were trying to do. If it doesn't move then it might be someone experiment/joke/coil tester/match unit?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from monsonb:

I tried connecting a working bell unit to the reel's wires, but it didn't chime for ten points. Any ideas? Thanks!

If you PM me your email, and email me a copy of your schematic I can help you.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If you PM me your email, and email me a copy of your schematic I can help you.

Quoted from ArgosySK:

The only thing I could suggest is to see what it is connected to on the schematic.

Thanks for the replies.
I don't have the schematic, yet. The best one available on eBay is 80% legible. But it is ordered.

#5 6 years ago

Looks like they're doing something with the numbers on the reel from those other wires. Can you see which number completes that circuit?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Looks like they're doing something with the numbers on the reel from those other wires. Can you see which number completes that circuit?

If I turn it on with the messenger balls installed, then the machine goes crazy with the playfield lifted. I'll remove the balls tomorrow afternoon and see what happens. I haven't tried completing the circuit before.

#7 6 years ago

It could be some kind of crude alternator. The orange wire first goes to the score reel's coil to make it advance. Then the orange wire continues to every other lug on the circuit board, so the circuit to the blue wire only completes with every other pulse received by the score reel coil.

The blue and orange wires aren't part of the laced harness running next to it, but whoever installed this hack did a tidy job of knotting it onto that harness. Since these two wires are outside that harness, it should be relatively easy to trace them to wherever they go. Have fun solving the mystery!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Since these two wires are outside that harness, it should be relatively easy to trace them to wherever they go. Have fun solving the mystery!

I traced the wires to a jones plug near the tilt mech. They are soldered to the right, female slots.

DSC06304 (resized).JPGDSC06304 (resized).JPG

I have no idea what this jones plug unit is suppose to control, but when I plugged the male ends into the far right slots the machine went crazy when it was powered up. The credit unit maxed out, and the lights for player one, two, three, four cycled over and over. What a racket.

I disconnected the plug, started another game, and everything was back to "normal."

These wires will power a bell, but it's for a 500 point relay. I was hoping it was for the one point relay.

DSC06305 (resized).JPGDSC06305 (resized).JPG

I don't know what someone was trying to do by installing this score reel, but I think I'm going to remove the reel and let the mystery go.

DSC06304 (resized).JPGDSC06304 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago

Hi monsonb
trying to help in another topic --- I was looking at ipdb-pictures of rather modern Recel Pins. stumbled over this picture "Recel Top Racer": http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2587&picno=55755 . Greetings Rolf

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from monsonb:

I don't know what someone was trying to do by installing this score reel, but I think I'm going to remove the reel and let the mystery go.

Crazy Spanish machine..... but not a good idea to remove....kinda like a switch every 10th.....like a stepper I think.....
Do it manually and see what happen.....

EDIT: I have looked at all EM Recel machines on IPDB, few machines have score reel under playfield, not on base....
Did someone moved the reel from playfield to base? Ask one of pinsiders who owns this....look at the map.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-this-doing-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.