New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 77861)

What is this apron...thing?

By RyanClaytor

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SilverBallKid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

apronQuestion.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Still a bit new to the world of the EM, but really enjoying all it has to offer. With that said, I have a quick question for the EM guys: What is this plastic, insert-lookin'...THING on the apron? I've seen it on several titles. Mine does not light up. Is it supposed to? What's it for?

apronQuestion.jpg

Thanks for helping me along in my EM education,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#2 6 years ago

When lit, it indicates that the game has credits on it.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

What Pafasa said, also it may not lite at all on your game if you have it set up for Free Play. If you have your game set up to accept coins such as mine, then it should light when at least 1 credit is showing.

Ken

#4 6 years ago

There is a switch on the credit unit that is dedicated to this. In this video, the switch that controls that lite is the top pair in the stack that is actuated by the credit unit limit posts. Yours should be similar as this video is of an early 70's Williams game.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for asking this question. My Bally Nitro Ground Shaker is a SS but also has the plastic thing and I always wondering what the purpose was.

#6 6 years ago

I was actually going to ask this question later tonight... glad I saw it. Good to know!

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

the switch that controls that lite is the top pair in the stack that is actuated by the credit unit limit post

Yup if the 0 position switch on top is closed the light should come on

--Jeff

#8 6 years ago

If the light doesn't come on with credits then check the bulb because it may be burned out or maybe even the socket is loose.

#9 6 years ago

Kind of a stupid light really. It's not labeled. I have owned quite a few EM's and can't recall any of them lighting up.

#10 6 years ago

This light is present on the card tray of many add a ball games that are two plays for a quarter. I remember this from the days when I actually used to PAY to play pinball! When you put your quarter in the game, it would start the first game, and this light would illuminate to remind you that you still had one more game to play. When you hit the start button for your second game, the light would go out. We used to rove up and down the aisles of games in the arcade hoping to find a game with the light on. This would be a free game if you were lucky enough to find one lit.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Aaah, NEAT! Thanks, Pafasa! Nice seein' you around here.

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

also it may not lite at all on your game if you have it set up for Free Play.

Interesting, EM-Pinman. Is there any work-around to make it light if my machine IS on free play? (I know that would make it lit permanently, right? ...always enjoy more lights than less, though.)

Quoted from Pafasa:

Yours should be similar as this video is of an early 70's Williams game.

Thanks for the video link! I'll watch that later tonight.

Quoted from MJW:

Thanks for asking this question. My Bally Nitro Ground Shaker is a SS but also has the plastic thing and I always wondering what the purpose was.

Quoted from Thunder424:

I was actually going to ask this question later tonight... glad I saw it. Good to know!

Ha-ha! Awesome. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Quoted from way2wyrd:

Yup if the 0 position switch on top is closed the light should come on

Can I just poke at it with my finger, or would that be a bad idea? (Again with the noob-ness) P.S. Hi, way2wyrd. Great seein' you around here, too.

Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

If the light doesn't come on with credits then check the bulb because it may be burned out or maybe even the socket is loose.

Even on Free Play? From the above comments it sounds like not. By the way, Rat_Tomago, just have to say, you start the best EM threads. I've been following your "Show us your EM's" thread for some time now, and recently began participating after the purchase of my first. Loved the wedgehead rating thread too.

Quoted from alexanr1:

Kind of a stupid light really. It's not labeled.

Yah. A simple label would do the trick. It wouldn't have to be a game specific label either (much like those big arrows pointing out the flipper buttons). Hm.

Quoted from jrpinball:

This light is present on the card tray of many add a ball games that are two plays for a quarter. I remember this from the days when I actually used to PAY to play pinball! When you put your quarter in the game, it would start the first game, and this light would illuminate to remind you that you still had one more game to play. When you hit the start button for your second game, the light would go out. We used to rove up and down the aisles of games in the arcade hoping to find a game with the light on. This would be a free game if you were lucky enough to find one lit.

Cool! Fun (and informative) story, jrpinball!

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#12 6 years ago

Some municipalities had gambling laws where you could not display credits as a number. This kept you from selling the credits back to the establishment.

In places without such laws, Ops would sometimes remove the bulb.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Is there any work-around to make it light if my machine IS on free play?

If nothing else and if you really really wanted it, I would think you could probably wire it right into GI which would allow it to be on permanently.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmklunk:

If nothing else and if you really really wanted it, I would think you could probably wire it right into GI which would allow it to be on permanently.

But you should still be able to make it function properly as requested even if set to free play. On the Credit/Replay unit, there should be 2 (count 'em, Two) leaf switches that close when the reel is at anything but 0. One is for telling the replay button it can start a game (relay logic) and the other is to light the bulb in question. So, you can still close one without forcing the other one closed. Its just a matter of how you adjust the switch (or, if you use a jumper across two of the lugs).

Also, if you ever get a game with an original instruction pack, if you find a small foil type sticker (about the size of theh credit window in the back glass), it was to cover up the credits for the reasons described above.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Some municipalities had gambling laws where you could not display credits as a number. This kept you from selling the credits back to the establishment.
    In places without such laws, Ops would sometimes remove the bulb.

or the op could cover the credit window to placate the local laws. The lit dot still showing the player when there were credits without being too obvious.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

But you should still be able to make it function properly as requested even if set to free play. On the Credit/Replay unit, there should be 2 (count 'em, Two) leaf switches that close when the reel is at anything but 0. One is for telling the replay button it can start a game (relay logic) and the other is to light the bulb in question. So, you can still close one without forcing the other one closed. Its just a matter of how you adjust the switch (or, if you use a jumper across two of the lugs).

What CactusJack said Ryan regarding the Apron Light for Free Play setting.

Ken

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

or the op could cover the credit window to placate the local laws. The lit dot still showing the player when there were credits without being too obvious.

Often games came with a little sticker you could cover the credit display with from the factory.

#18 6 years ago

Not sure exactly when Williams started adding the credit indicator. My Student Prince doesn't have one, but games built later in that year (`68) have them.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

A great comment!

1 year later
    #20 5 years ago

Does anyone know if there is a source for the plastic inserts for these? I'd love to replace the messed up one on my Space Odyssey!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Flipper Parts
    TheDudeMods
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 79.99
    Apparel - Unisex
    PinShades
    $ 68.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 69.50
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 399.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Bent Mods
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside