• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BarryMulvihill
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20161224_165618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161224_165638 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161224_165855 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161224_165545574 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161224_145303971 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Acquired a meteor. This piece was plugged into the outlet in the cabinet. It is wired into wires that go to coin door. I thought possibly it was a aftermarket way to add credits. It doesn't seem to do anything. Any leads as to what the heck it is?

IMG_20161224_145303971 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

More pictures. how exactly is it wired in the cabinet?
My only thought is that somebody wanted to be Pat Lawlor
really badly.

#3 2 years ago

I don't know what it is but I'm pretty sure it doesn't belong.

#4 2 years ago

Could be anything. You'll have to trace the wires and see where they connect to.

My guess would have been either a credit button or a diagnostic button (if the original failed).

#5 2 years ago

vec-tor
When plugged in its wired to and lights up the green light on font of cabinet. Seen in pics it's connected to game thru white plug

IMG_20161224_165545574 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161224_165855 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161224_165638 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161224_165618 (resized).jpg

#6 2 years ago

forceflow
How could you imagine it may work as a diagnostic? The ingame diagnostic is funky. It gets stuck at display test. Won't go further.... Also flippers don't work...

#7 2 years ago

Can you open the plastic box to see inside? Maybe it's an alarm system or an ionizer. Or possibly a "negative reinforcement module" that zaps you when ever the ball drains? Could even be a voltage regulator or electronic chime box. Excited to find out!

Edit:. Best guess is that it's a voltage regulator to supply DC voltage to the flippers.

#8 2 years ago

It launches the nuclear missiles.

DON'T PUSH IT.

LTG : )

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryMulvihill:

How could you imagine it may work as a diagnostic?

I was thinking one possibility was that it might replace the coin door test button, but it sounds like that's not the case.

Other than that, I really have no idea since it was a custom addition

The first thing I'd do is carefully remove the outer black covering then start tracing wires. Most of the time, I remove and undo any custom hack jobs once I understand their purpose, so I wouldn't be worry about keeping things neat and tidy--that comes last.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It launches the nuclear missiles.
DON'T PUSH IT.
LTG : )

Yeah, nice try. It's the "page Lloyd" tech support button.

Push it.

#11 2 years ago

What you have there is a genuine government surveillance device but I'm not at liberty to talk about it.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Best guess is that it's a voltage regulator to supply DC voltage to the flippers.

klr650
hmm, all 3 flippers dont work. i still havent found the reason why....this intruiges me. if it is infact a voltage regulator, what purpose would the red button be?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 19.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside