12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by TJ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

so there is a swinging bar along the the right inside wall that appears to rotate up and I support the playfield in a partial upright position. Is that what this thing is sopposed to do? It torks the playfield something awful and does not seem very safe. Am I misunderstanding what this is for?

#2 12 years ago

yes thats what its for....its called a prop bar or playfield support rod..

If you can, just tilt the playfield all the way up and rest it against the head..

Some people install a 2nd prop rod on the left side so there are 2 prop rods holding the playfield and that way it does not tourque as much..

#4 12 years ago

Yup. Used it once. Tore up the opposite side of the inside of the cabinet, by pushing metal parts of the PF into it. Learned my lesson, never again.

#5 12 years ago

What brand has the prop bar? I think I was spoiled with my first two pins (HSII and WCS), both Williams/Bally machines, as the playfield comes out easy, locks into place and pivots up like a dream. Then I got the SW DE - broke off part of a coil the first time I lifted the playfield - didn't have the rails underneath to protect the underside and let you rest the elevated playfield on the front of the machine without damaging anything. Lesson learned...

#6 12 years ago

Your understanding of the use of that bar is correct.

Your perception of all of the flaws surrounding use of that bar is also correct.

It's a bad design, and you should avoid using it as much as possible. Never rely on it to provide solid support if you are working under the playfield. If that's the case, raise the playfield all the way up against the backbox.

#7 12 years ago

Yes it does appear to be a crappy design in my mind. I work in a world of being a product designer and dealing with having to take out cost at the expence of quality and the consumer. The meer idea that these machines were not these expendable money makers rather than collectable pieces that could live on for decades might have redirected the intent. I know corporate america does not have this have this mentality.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.