(Topic ID: 339175)

What is the worst pinball machine you have ever owned?

By DanMarino

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 342 posts
  • 219 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by jgreene
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1a90b2505704354ce1981f34a995765554cbe656 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3343[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_8290 (resized).jpeg
20180427_203724 (resized).jpg
20180427_203705 (resized).jpg
IMG_7210 (resized).jpeg
dredd-burn.gif
IMG_0256 (resized).jpeg
sf2 small (resized).jpg
D80EFC91-5CB2-4FBE-AF87-A5FB660D1E1A (resized).jpeg
IMG_8242 (resized).jpeg
There are 342 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 9 months ago
Quoted from MJK-911:

Rush Premium because i was sold an absolute LEMON that was sabatoged from the beginning by a pissed off worker or a complete Idiot. Absolute nightmare experience dealing with a game that would destroy Node-10 boards

Sucks man, otherwise such a great game.
Is there a happy ending? You still have it?

#302 9 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I've been lucky and not owned any boring machines or machines that constantly broke. I'm also on the cheap side and buy most of my machines broken and enjoy getting them working again. All of the machines I've owned have been fun enough to play. The worst one that I've owned was Bally Time Zone. The machine was actually pretty fun to play, especially when playing against someone else. It was easy to get working again and it was very reliable. The reason I'm rating this as the worst I've owned is because it is the machine that helped me understand that I really dislike center blocks in a playfield. The center block on Time Zone caused the majority of my shots to be to the left or the right of the center block targets. I'm thankful to have owned the machine and enjoyed playing it, but it also helped me realize I strongly prefer playfields with more open layouts and without center blocks.
[quoted image]

HEY! (I’m the one that bought it)
We enjoy it as is. It’s our first EM. I did buy it with intent of retheming…and I’m probably going to go with a different playfield layout too.

AC/DC, Transformers, and NGG were fastest to leave our collection. I know they’re not “the worst”, but they just didn’t click with us.

#303 9 months ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Houdini! Imposable to make the "Milk Can" shot! All 3 center lane shots are so tight they brick! Catapult has to constantly be re-adjusted!I really wanted this title, and was very disappointed! Traded it a year later!!

Might have just been a wonky game. There was one brought to the Saratoga Silverball last year and I got to play it several times (I had two games there for free play use and was the "pinball bitch" tech) Had no particular hardship making the shot several times and my play skills are only fair. The game has very, very tight shots though, much like an X-Files I had.

#304 9 months ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Houdini! Imposable to make the "Milk Can" shot! All 3 center lane shots are so tight they brick! Catapult has to constantly be re-adjusted!I really wanted this title, and was very disappointed! Traded it a year later!!

That sucks. After adjusting the catapult using instructions I found online, it hit the trunk hundreds of times in a row and never missed in the months until I swapped for an Oktoberfest. I also moved a target just slightly to open the right lanes more equally and it helped make the shots easier. Still is a head scratcher why the left orbit was HUGE and they didn't use a bit of that space on the right side to make those shots more fair.

#305 9 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

That sucks. After adjusting the catapult using instructions I found online, it hit the trunk hundreds of times in a row and never missed in the months until I swapped for an Oktoberfest. I also moved a target just slightly to open the right lanes more equally and it helped make the shots easier. Still is a head scratcher why the left orbit was HUGE and they didn't use a bit of that space on the right side to make those shots more fair.

Houdini should have been a widebody. I'd still probably own it if it was more fun to shoot.

#306 9 months ago
Quoted from curban:

HEY! (I’m the one that bought it)
We enjoy it as is. It’s our first EM. I did buy it with intent of retheming…and I’m probably going to go with a different playfield layout too….

Haha! Glad you two are enjoying it! Make sure you change the layout to not have a center block! Haha

I was looking forward to Galactic Tank Force, but I bet the center block tank thingy would bug me. Haha. Looks like a fun theme to me though.

#307 9 months ago

3 years in the hobby; I haven't owned any so far that I couldn't wait to get rid of. I'm no pro, and I have fun with most games. But, there isn't really a pinball community in my area, machines for sale are usually at minimal 2-3 hrs aways from me; so, it has to be worth the drive. I sold Meteor the quickest; only had it a few months. Fun game to play but got boring quick for me in a home environment.

I have no goals of amassing a huge collection, I want 4 or 5 keepers and maybe rotate a few in and out. The most I've had so far at one time was 6 machines, and that was too much maintenance wise.....it felt like a second job. I have no idea how some of you with 20+ machines do it.

#308 9 months ago
Quoted from koji:

Probably Elektra...

Probably my least favorite Bally.

#309 9 months ago

I bought an Elektra new in/around '86...played it in a local arcade and was fascinated by it. Went out and bought one, had it for about a year and sold it to get some $$$ up for a car I wanted to buy.
Purchased another one in 2011 and man, I DO NOT see what I saw in that pin back when I was in my 20's! Got rid of it and never looked back!

#310 9 months ago

Gottlieb Panthera is the clear winner. Not much to go after widebody wise, terrible backglass, and sounds that make you want to stab yourself.

#311 9 months ago

Rescue 911

#312 9 months ago

BTTF

It‘s not actively horribly bad, but it‘s so mediocre forgettable blend bad that for me it‘s worse than a machine that may be so bad than it‘s good.

#313 9 months ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

BTTF
It‘s not actively horribly bad, but it‘s so mediocre forgettable blend bad that for me it‘s worse than a machine that may be so bad that it‘s good.

#314 9 months ago

I have owned a lot of games that got mentioned in this thread. So take that into account. But my absolute least favorite game I've ever owned was Atari Middle Earth. I loved the garish theme, but it is a dog to play. It was either the slowest game ever, or impossibly difficult.

My spouses least favorite was Strange Science. I didn't hate the game, it was quirky and fun, but my example spent way too much time with the glass off. The previous owner had done a lot of rewiring all using the same color of wire, so troubleshooting issues was an absolute headache.

#315 9 months ago
Quoted from digdug2084:

I have owned a lot of games that got mentioned in this thread. So take that into account. But my absolute least favorite game I've ever owned was Atari Middle Earth. I loved the garish theme, but it is a dog to play. It was either the slowest game ever, or impossibly difficult.
My spouses least favorite was Strange Science. I didn't hate the game, it was quirky and fun, but my example spent way too much time with the glass off. The previous owner had done a lot of rewiring all using the same color of wire, so troubleshooting issues was an absolute headache.

I guess I was lucky with my Strange Science.It was quirky and fun like you say but someone offered me a Johnny Mnemonic for it and I couldn’t refuse lol
Worst game I’ve owned in the past was Bonebusters Stink in Pink

#316 9 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Probably my least favorite Bally.

Duh sorry I forgot aboot Black Pyramid

#317 9 months ago

Mandalorian.

#318 8 months ago

I'm gonna go with Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom - loved the idea, but sometimes they are rare pins because they weren't any good. Collect the planets, rinse and repeat. Another Bally I wanted to love is Strikes and Spares with Kevin O'Connor's backglass - I wish the play was anywhere near as good. I don't normally play many recent releases, but the Mandalorian really left me thinking it wasn't that fun.

#319 8 months ago

If I was to answer this, they'd probably kick me off of here again and we can't have that now can we?

#320 8 months ago

Reading this thread, I can only conclude that most people have never owned Operation: Thunder.

#321 8 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

...and we can't have that now can we?

Not this early

Buy I don't think anything you would say would be that controversial

#322 8 months ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Reading this thread, I can only conclude that most people have never owned Operation: Thunder.

I did. And I love it!

Great music. Love the mission structure (wich admittedly is completely linear) and story integration with the bsckglass.

Playfield is ugly as shit, sadly.

#323 8 months ago
Quoted from PrinzFred:

HOBBIT. I spent more time moving it into my basement than playing it. Was bored after one long game. A close second was GNR. A beautiful game, but multi ball after multi ball after mutliball . . . . boring and such a waste of great assets.

Hobbit is such a savagely boring table... One of those games where if I see it with some credits on it I'll keep walking. Plays so long for so little joy.

#324 8 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Buy I don't think anything you would say would be that controversial

Not any more. I no longer care about quite a few things that are out of my control.

At least nothing that hasn't been said already.

#325 8 months ago

I've only owned two machines and still have both of them, a Police Force and a Slugfest. If I had to get rid of one, it would probably be Police Force.

#326 8 months ago

Theater of Magic, couldn't sell it fast enough! you've got the magic got on my nerves big time, JPops games are really pretty but all of the code sucks on his games and the shots are not very hard!

#327 8 months ago

Stern Galaxy is absolutely dreadful. The art is really bad, there's no slingshots, the layout is incredibly uninspired, F2K/Gamatron does everything Galaxy does but infinitely better.

#328 8 months ago

Stern Jurassic Park is the pin I sold the quickest. Never liked the theme and then it was a clunk-fest.

#329 8 months ago

Worst EM that I have owned was Williams Big Deal , but plenty of EM crap games out there.
Worst SS . Strange science & any gottlieb sys 80,s
Worst sys 11. Bad Cats.
Worst DMD. 24

2 weeks later
#330 8 months ago
Quoted from gatordad:

Theater of Magic, couldn't sell it fast enough! you've got the magic got on my nerves big time, JPops games are really pretty but all of the code sucks on his games and the shots are not very hard!

I got rid of ToM for the same reason! and don't forget "your amazing!" and "shoot for the magic trunk!"

#331 8 months ago

Hands down Williams Big Ben (70s)l... shopped it out and basically got it playing great... didn't help the BORE factor, super snooze!... on the flip side the game was in dad's florida room for 18 years and played perfectly during that time.

Close 2nd Bally Joust EM - ugly and boring!

#332 8 months ago

Had a Stern Wild Fyre a while back, it's actually a pretty fun game if you can get past the god awful sounds. Would be much better with chimes.

#333 8 months ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I have no goals of amassing a huge collection, I want 4 or 5 keepers and maybe rotate a few in and out. The most I've had so far at one time was 6 machines, and that was too much maintenance wise.....it felt like a second job. I have no idea how some of you with 20+ machines do it.

If you bulletproof them as much as possible when you get them, then it's basically just clean/wax occasionally, swap balls/batteries every year or 2. It's not so bad. Address issues when they pop up so you don't end up with half a dozen broken games.

I will admit I liked having 6 or 8 games and not a single error message or anything. A lot harder to do when you have 20+ but it sure looks cool.

#334 8 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

If you bulletproof them as much as possible when you get them, then it's basically just clean/wax occasionally, swap balls/batteries every year or 2. It's not so bad. Address issues when they pop up so you don't end up with half a dozen broken games.
I will admit I liked having 6 or 8 games and not a single error message or anything. A lot harder to do when you have 20+ but it sure looks cool.

I totally get that. It probably doesnt help that the last several I bought were neglected and needed a lot of work. It's true though, once I get everything together they tend to be really reliable.....it just takes a lot of effort to get to that point though.

#335 8 months ago

Gottlieb Pro Football. Uninspired playfield artwork. A centre spinner you can barely hit. An upper playfield that that is merely a suggestion for most shots. Dual vari-targets that take all the momentum from gameplay.

Meh. I said...Meh.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#336 8 months ago
Quoted from MooButt:

Stern Jurassic Park is the pin I sold the quickest. Never liked the theme and then it was a clunk-fest.

You've owned mario bros, avengers, incredible hulk... and jurrasic park is the WORST game you've owned?

1a90b2505704354ce1981f34a995765554cbe656 (resized).jpg1a90b2505704354ce1981f34a995765554cbe656 (resized).jpg
#337 8 months ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I totally get that. It probably doesnt help that the last several I bought were neglected and needed a lot of work. It's true though, once I get everything together they tend to be really reliable.....it just takes a lot of effort to get to that point though.

I agree, it takes some effort. I rarely buy anything that's 100% working either. My last several games have been 70s SS machines that I've restored. Having a lot of fun doing those, and learning tons!

I'm in the (slow) process of thinning the herd right now - got some bills to pay off, and want to retire/downsize in 2 years. It sounds stupid, but it's not easy trying to decide which ones to let go, I've had most of them for 20+ years, but want to whittle down to 10 or so eventually.

#338 8 months ago

Id go with:
T2
JM

#339 8 months ago

How is this thread up to seven pages without this pun surfacing?:

Oktoberfest is unconditionally the wurst game anyone has ever owned!

#340 8 months ago

Add me in to the motor dome pile

Honorable mentions:
Waterworld
Barb wire
Williams honey
Episode 1
Bally grand slam
Speak easy

Spy hunter should be on the list but I’ll spare it

1 month later
#341 7 months ago

Halloween by Spooky, only lasted 2-weeks in my home, such a shame because it was absolutely stunning to behold with butter.. It really caught me off guard because Rick Morty and TNA will never leave my home!!! Also the last time I will ever order a game without seeing how it shoots/plays/etc Its insane that some pinball layouts make it past the white-wood!! How do shit layouts get thru? All of a sudden nobody understands what a great pinball machine needs to do ?

#342 7 months ago

Gameplay, bad cats. Cool factor given the unique art, sounds and back box mechs. But marginal gameplay and rules at best.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 229.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

5,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monmouth, OR
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Wanted
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 342 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-worst-pinball-machine-you-have-ever-owned/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.