(Topic ID: 339175)

What is the worst pinball machine you have ever owned?

By DanMarino

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 342 posts
  • 219 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by jgreene
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1a90b2505704354ce1981f34a995765554cbe656 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3343[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_8290 (resized).jpeg
20180427_203724 (resized).jpg
20180427_203705 (resized).jpg
IMG_7210 (resized).jpeg
dredd-burn.gif
IMG_0256 (resized).jpeg
sf2 small (resized).jpg
D80EFC91-5CB2-4FBE-AF87-A5FB660D1E1A (resized).jpeg
IMG_8242 (resized).jpeg
There are 342 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I find it the opposite. Italy is usually way better shape than germany. Stuff I get from germany looks like it was in a war zone.

Too soon

#152 1 year ago

Spy Hunter

#153 1 year ago
Quoted from beepbeep:

Worst game I ever owned was Fire! Just a loud and obnoxious game

First game I unplugged the bell. I liked it okay after that.

#154 1 year ago
Quoted from Br81zad:

Dude, thank you. Got to play that at LAX this past march and was wholly underwhelmed. Tried it a few different times throughout the day too, but it never got fun. That game is trash.

I seriously have never heard of anyone “hating” IJ. Of all the dud pinball games out there is IJ seriously the worse you’ve ever owned? Can I ask what’s the worse game you’ve ever played?

#155 1 year ago

Medusa. That game almost made my kids quit playing pinball until I sold it and bought an earhtshaker, thank goodness. Medusa - while a beautiful game - is a horrible family pin and quite a tough shooter. If I recall it even deducts scores on some shots.

#156 1 year ago
Quoted from Triplecdad:

Medusa. That game almost made my kids quit playing pinball until I sold it and bought an earhtshaker, thank goodness. Medusa - while a beautiful game - is a horrible family pin and quite a tough shooter. If I recall it even deducts scores on some shots.

That kinda makes me want one. I enjoy the tough games.

#157 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Stern/Chicago Coin Rawhide.
Anytime I feel like I might miss it I go outside and ring my doorbell a few hundred times and I’m good.
(They used an actual doorbell assembly as chimes)

Wow. That would tale the cake for me.

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from zimzam:

I seriously have never heard of anyone “hating” IJ. Of all the dud pinball games out there is IJ seriously the worse you’ve ever owned? Can I ask what’s the worse game you’ve ever played?

I sold my IJ pretty quickly. It had a weird quirk that I’m not sure is common on IJ. The ball would fly off the ramps like the coils were too strong…but wouldn’t make it around the orbit as though the coils were too weak. It made the gameplay really annoying, and I prob sold the game after having it for a month.

#159 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I sold my IJ pretty quickly. It had a weird quirk that I’m not sure is common on IJ. The ball would fly off the ramps like the coils were too strong…but wouldn’t make it around the orbit as though the coils were too weak. It made the gameplay really annoying, and I prob sold the game after having it for a month.

I've owned several IJ over the years and have never had a problem with ball flying off the ramps or the ball not being able to travel through the orbits. That certainly would be frustrating. I can't remember if those ramps had "covers" over a portion of them to prevent that.

#160 1 year ago

I agree with the earlier post; IJ is a good game but not $12k+ good. The colors alone are not gonna win any awards...various shades of beige.

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from GregCon:

I agree with the earlier post; IJ is a good game but not $12k+ good. The colors alone are not gonna win any awards...various shades of beige.

IMO there are few to no games worth 12k+

#162 1 year ago

Popeye- theme is ridiculous and horribly executed. Gameplay not much better. I really tried to like it, but failed.

#163 1 year ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

ghostbusters premium!!! that f-ing game. the only machine i ever wanted to flip over on its side while playing.
loved the artwork and the ramp to subway shot!! but man was it frustrating!!! sold it within 30 days of buying it!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!

Haha. GB premium was my first game and it’s still here! I love it, but admittedly the layout is kind of half-baked (that right ramp shot…) The subway shot is awesome, as are the art, sound, and callouts, and the magna slings are freaking cool IMHO.

My worst was Sopranos. It was fun for a short while, but it’s kind of easy and the art is awful. The safe mech is wonky—never got it working perfectly.

#164 1 year ago

Never owned one that I thought was really bad. But I like a lot of stuff.

Worst game I ever played - The Jetsons and Dominos Pizza was a close second for all time stinker

#165 1 year ago
Quoted from MT45:

Atari Middle Earth. Got a nearly mint copy a few years ago for $475. Wasn’t working but it was that rare occasion where it WAS “just a fuse”. I cleaned it up and did some minor repairs and sold it off. Beautiful game but terrible geometry to almost all the shots. Picture of game once it was cleaned up.[quoted image]

You reminded me I should have added Atari Space Riders to my list.

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from beepbeep:

Worst game I ever owned was Fire! Just a loud and obnoxious game

Loved Fire! on location and bought one in good cosmetic condition a few years ago. The more I worked on it, the more hacks I found, and spent forever getting everything working just right. By the time it was finished I just couldn’t stand to even look at it anymore and sold it.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Motordome is the worst I have ever owned.

I had a Motordome too...Bought it for $300, put another $400 into a new mainboard (Swemmer Electronics) and spent many hours cleaning it and shopping it out.
Kept it for a few months. Got lucky and sold it $1500...Screeching awful sound effects.. So boring too.

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Popeye- theme is ridiculous and horribly executed. Gameplay not much better. I really tried to like it, but failed.

We love Popeye here..Takes a while to get use to it but it's a fun pin for us.

#169 1 year ago

X-Files was one along with MotorDome.
Lost In Space is not deep but it is fun. Wish code was developed more. Still have LIS.

#170 1 year ago
Quoted from clearstar:

Toss up between Batman 66 and Godzilla.

What the actual hell. Have you only owned two games?

For me it is either Cyclone or WCS94. I loved WCS94 the first time I owned it, back when I was a noob, but didn't care for it the second time at all.

#171 1 year ago

Spectrum. Lasted less than a week.

#172 1 year ago

Jjp guns roses is my worst game.
On first approach its great.
But the vomiting multiball and original music synced up with fat Slash and Ma Fratelli trying to squeeze the nickel till it screams made it a loathsome game after 3-4 mths

#173 1 year ago

Hands down - Hurricane. Nothing redeemable.

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

What the actual hell. Have you only owned two games?
For me it is either Cyclone or WCS94. I loved WCS94 the first time I owned it, back when I was a noob, but didn't care for it the second time at all.

All you have to do is click on my Profile to see how many games I’ve owned. I just simply do not care for Godzilla or BM66. I’ve purchased both and tried to understand the hype, but can’t see it. I’ll take IM, JP, and AIQ over Godzilla everyday. As for BM66, Elvira and Munsters are better.

#175 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

We love Popeye here..Takes a while to get use to it but it's a fun pin for us.

Glad to hear that- a fair amount of work went into the game (?)- just did not resonate at all after 50 plays or so.

#176 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I had a Motordome too...Bought it for $300, put another $400 into a new mainboard (Swemmer Electronics) and spent many hours cleaning it and shopping it out.
Kept it for a few months. Got lucky and sold it $1500...Screeching awful sound effects.. So boring too.

Motordome was the first and the worst. It earns the title of worst because if I were to describe all its features you would think it should be good. But it’s not. At all. I bought it for $500 in 1986. It ain’t worth more than that in 2023 no matter what Pinside estimator says

#177 1 year ago

BTTF. I bought a lemon, which soured me from the start. Game play didn't make things much better. Once I finally had everything fixed, I unloaded it at a loss just to get it out of the house.

#178 1 year ago

I bought a Judge Dredd that only lasted a week. Not saying it's a bad game, but I certainly didn't like it. If we are talking about lemons I bought a a WOZ that had bad light boards. That was the biggest POS I've ever owned.

#179 1 year ago

Special Force for me. It looks like it should be fun, but it's a total snooze fest. When selling it, one guy came over and played a few games. He then looked at me and said "I'm gong to pass, this thing is as much fun as kissing your sister." True story.

#180 1 year ago

Champ Pub. Lasted a few days.

#181 1 year ago
Quoted from Meadows22:

I bought a Judge Dredd that only lasted a week. Not saying it's a bad game, but I certainly didn't like it. ...

dredd-burn.gifdredd-burn.gif

#182 1 year ago

It's funny, reading the posts here really drives home the "one man's trash is another man's treasure" saying. I agree with many but a few of them just make me scratch my head.

I guess part of it is a good game with many mechanical and electrical issues that make it no fun to play versus a genuinely bad layout (Thunderbirds, I'm talking to you).

One game I really wanted to like but just couldn't was Vector. Beautiful game but just lacking in... something critical to fun.

#183 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

"I'm gong to pass, this thing is as much fun as kissing your sister."

Why did you let him kiss your sister? Just avoid that comparison.

#184 1 year ago
Quoted from Dwboca:

Jjp guns roses is my worst game.
On first approach its great.
But the vomiting multiball and original music synced up with fat Slash and Ma Fratelli trying to squeeze the nickel till it screams made it a loathsome game after 3-4 mths

I've owned jjp gnr. I think it is a software overhaul away from being amazing. But Jesus is the software on that.... not super good.

#185 1 year ago

Williams 'Space Lab'. Game was so boring they probably could have made it without flippers.... I guess I should have known better but it was $100 and someone 5 houses down the street was selling it

#186 1 year ago

Zacceria Moon Flight, I kept it for awhile because mom liked it.

Atari Airborne Avenger PITA to keep running

#187 1 year ago
Quoted from Meadows22:

I bought a Judge Dredd that only lasted a week. Not saying it's a bad game, but I certainly didn't like it.

As a reader of the graphic novels I want to love Dredd badly, every single example I have played though has pushed me away from buying one. I don't know what it is. Had a chance to play a well setup one at Pintastic and it just refused to draw me in.

EM? Jungle King hands down.

Solid State? Hook. I'm not even sure why as I'm a Data East fan. Might have been the damn kid crowing or no Robin Williams call outs. After a month it was gone.

#188 1 year ago

Another vote for Hook. It was my 3rd machine for the basement at the time and I was trying to get the kids (much younger then) to be interested in pinball. They hated it. I hated it. Couldn’t wait to get rid of it.

Ironically, it was STTNG that got them hooked on pinball followed by TZ.

Since pinside threads aren’t always the most positive, here is a sleeper I always enjoyed: Mario Andretti (Gottlieb).

#189 1 year ago

Cosmic Carnival. I was one of the 25. Beautifull artwork is my only compliment. However after 5 plays the artwork was chipping off the playfield. I made my own cliffy… Miserable experience.. Stunning to look at cabinet. Equally stunning as to how bad it was..

#190 1 year ago

My worst would be "Houdini" Center shots brick every time, and that right side shot was not doable on my pin! Traded it to a new home!!

#191 1 year ago

Sorry,LEFT side shot!

#192 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Sorry,LEFT side shot!

The "milk can" shot right? The right side catapult feed shot is not easy either.

Houdini is not close to being the worst game I've owned, but I think it would play a lot better as a widebody. American Pinball brought it to market super quickly and in hindsight, Joe Balcer should probably have taken more time designing the layout including creating a whitewood (which I understand they skipped doing).

#193 1 year ago

Police Force
Not a fan of that one at all.

#194 1 year ago

I've owned a fair number of games so I'll break them down by era.

EM: Blue Max - just terrible
early SS: Spy Hunter - Kmiec is so hit or miss. Made some of the best and some of the worst. Oh well.
late SS: Police Force - Python art and, uh, that's it
DMD: Waterworld - Sigh. Premier.

#195 1 year ago

Data East Star Wars. Massive regret the first game I put on it when I got it home, couldn’t wait to see it gone.

#196 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Champ Pub. Lasted a few days.

I’d have to to agree, just as my worst pin I’ve owned. It’s not the worst game I’ve played but the game is all gimmick and not much else, same rinse and repeat shots, not much depth and for me it was pain in the ass to repair certain parts. Shame, I loved the theme

#197 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

The "milk can" shot right? The right side catapult feed shot is not easy either.
Houdini is not close to being the worst game I've owned, but I think it would play a lot better as a widebody. American Pinball brought it to market super quickly and in hindsight, Joe Balcer should probably have taken more time designing the layout including creating a whitewood (which I understand they skipped doing).

Playfield changes were made after the TPF reveal, Joe adamantly chose to leave those shots the way they were, so this “no whitewood” comment that pops up on occasion is of no merit.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

My worst would be "Houdini" Center shots brick every time, and that right side shot was not doable on my pin! Traded it to a new home!!

I played one at Saratoga Silverball for a few hours, while the theme is not to my taste I found it very playable but in my opinion a game that caters towards "higher end" players of which I'm not. Very, very tight playfield shots which reminds me of an "X-files" I once owned. The can shot is wicked cool.

#199 1 year ago

Transformers LE

The best example of sometimes less is more. The added crap to the ramps on the LE ruined that game as the Pro is a nice shooter.

#200 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Playfield changes were made after the TPF reveal, Joe adamantly chose to leave those shots the way they were, so this “no whitewood” comment that pops up on occasion is of no merit.

As much as I like Houdini's attributes, I think in retrospect, Joe's/AP's layout design decisions were flawed. I base this on having previously owned a Houdini, as well as the widely expressed opinions from others regarding how the game shoots.

My understanding is that a whitewood would have helped to refine the shot design earlier on (pre-TPF).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 229.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Wanted
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 342 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.