View topic image gallery

484226 (resized).jpg
Led_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_DVD (resized).jpg
4C001193-573E-419A-B8D1-888575A64F2D (resized).jpeg
27404EC0-9C48-4F5D-91D8-45A46CCECC06.gif
129shb (1) (resized).jpg
1666852712_8f741175ce_z (resized).jpg
x3x1a08846176df7914a02370ef480f71eb (resized).jpg
There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 3 years ago

Clapton or Paige? Meh...I'll take the other Yardbird, Jeff Beck

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Clapton or Paige? Meh...I'll take the other Yardbird, Jeff Beck

What about Leslie West who just passed away?

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

What about Leslie West who just passed away?

What a drag, I did not hear that. I saw West several times--one of my fav guitarists.

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Every real Zeppelin fan knows Presence is the worst. CODA doesn’t count since it was a release of old material and Bonham was dead.

How can you say that? It has 2 of their best songs (and mostly ones they didn't rip off of some old blues artist)...

Nobody's Fault but Mine and Achilles Last Stand.

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

How can you say that? It has 2 of their best songs (and mostly ones they didn't rip off of some old blues artist)...

agree

#106 3 years ago
4C001193-573E-419A-B8D1-888575A64F2D (resized).jpeg4C001193-573E-419A-B8D1-888575A64F2D (resized).jpeg
#107 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Achilles Last Stand is Page's favorite zep song, and with it's pentatonic scale, Im pretty sure it's not a rip-off of any old blues artist

Nobody's Fault But Mine is of course a rip-off of Blind Willie Johnson

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Achilles Last Stand is Page's favorite zep song, and with it's pentatonic scale, Im pretty sure it's not a rip-off of any old blues artist

I like Zeppelin's version better! lol

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But he was dead and didn't have good lawyers, so...

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Wow.

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This is the best I've ever heard LZ actually live without overdubbed vocals:
Led Zeppelin full concert 1988

At 24:46, he gets a little 'zap' from the microphone. A couple of seconds later, he shoots quite a glare at one of the sound technicians.

#112 3 years ago

The one with P. Diddy that they did for Godzilla. Unlistenable.

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

I had blocked that out of my mind.

Lamer than 2 retarded kids fighting under a blanket.

Puff Daddy ft. Jimmy Page - Come With Me :: Official Music Video | HD

#114 3 years ago

I'm fairly burned out on Zeppelin, but still enjoy covers and live tracks.

Can't say which studio album is worse, but I HIGHLY recommend the 4 CD audio version of their live release "Led Zeppelin DVD" which are various picks from shows from '69-'79. (I assume the tracks are cleaned and redubbed and they sure sound awesome.)

Led_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_DVD (resized).jpgLed_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_DVD (resized).jpg

Track listing
Disc one
Royal Albert Hall, 9 January 1970
No. Title Length
1. "Opening" 0:27
2. "We're Gonna Groove" (James Bethea, Ben E. King) 3:13
3. "I Can't Quit You Baby" (Willie Dixon) 6:56
4. "Dazed and Confused" (Jimmy Page; inspired by Jake Holmes) 15:33
5. "White Summer" (Page) 12:23
6. "What Is and What Should Never Be" (Page and Robert Plant) 4:39
7. "How Many More Times" (John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Page) 20:17
8. "Moby Dick" (Bonham, Jones, Page) 15:21
9. "Whole Lotta Love" (Bonham, Dixon, Jones, Page, Plant) 6:24
10. "Communication Breakdown" (Bonham, Jones, Page) 4:16
11. "C'mon Everybody" (Jerry Capehart, Eddie Cochran) 2:31
12. "Somethin' Else" (Bobby Cochran, Sharon Sheeley) 2:10
13. "Bring It On Home/Bring It On Back" (Bonham, Dixon, Jones, Page, Plant) 7:44
14. "Credits" 0:21
Atlantic Records, February 1969
No. Title Length
1. "Communication Breakdown (music video)" 2:24
Danmarks Radio (Gladsaxe Teen Club, Gladsaxe), 17 March 1969
No. Title Length
1. "Opening" 0:10
2. "Communication Breakdown" 2:46
3. "Dazed and Confused" 9:09
4. "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" (Anne Bredon, Page, and Plant) 6:46
5. "How Many More Times" 12:20
Supershow (Staines Studio, London), 25 March 1969
No. Title Length
1. "Dazed and Confused" 7:33
Tous en Scène (Theatre Olympia, Paris), 19 June 1969
No. Title Length
1. "Opening" 0:25
2. "Communication Breakdown" 2:51
3. "Dazed and Confused (edited)" 5:36

Disc two
Sydney Showground, 27 February 1972 (Splodge edit)
No. Title Length
1. "Immigrant Song" (Page and Plant) 4:03
Madison Square Garden, 27–29 July 1973
No. Title Length
1. "Black Dog" (Jones, Page, Plant) 5:30
2. "Misty Mountain Hop" (Jones, Page, Plant) 4:50
3. "Since I've Been Loving You" (Jones, Page, Plant) 8:03
4. "The Ocean" (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant) 4:16
Earls Court, 24–25 May 1975 (see Earls Court 1975)
No. Title Length
1. "Going to California" (Page, Plant) 4:41
2. "That's the Way" (Page, Plant) 6:04
3. "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" (Jones, Page, Plant) 5:31
4. "In My Time of Dying" (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant) 11:14
5. "Trampled Under Foot" (Jones, Page, Plant) 8:14
6. "Stairway to Heaven" (Page, Plant) 10:32
Knebworth, 4 August 1979 (see Knebworth Festival 1979)
No. Title Length
1. "Rock and Roll" (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant) 3:47
2. "Nobody's Fault but Mine" (Page, Plant) 5:45
3. "Sick Again" (Page, Plant) 5:08
4. "Achilles Last Stand" (Page, Plant) 9:03
5. "In the Evening" (Jones, Page, Plant) 7:56
6. "Kashmir" (Bonham, Page, Plant) 8:50
7. "Whole Lotta Love" 7:06
8. "You'll Never Walk Alone" 1:21
Credits
No. Title Length
1. "Heartbreaker (Beginning part)" 2:05
New York NBC Studio, 19 September 1970
No. Title Length
1. "Press Conference" 3:26
Sydney Showground, 27 February 1972
No. Title Length
1. "Rock and Roll" 3:06
2. "Black Dog (Studio version excerpt)" 1:48
3. "John Bonham and John Paul Jones after concert interviews with Jeune Pritchard"
BBC2 The Old Grey Whistle Test, 12 January 1975
No. Title Length
1. "Robert Plant interview at the Vorst Nationaal in Brussels with Bob Harris" 3:47
Remasters promo, October 1990
No. Title Length
1. "Over the Hills and Far Away" (Page, Plant) 4:49
2. "Travelling Riverside Blues" (Robert Johnson, Page, Plant) 4:09

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

Many greats have a brain fart. McCartney did something with Kanye West. But in Page's case, it was most likely a desperate plea for relevance. What has Page done outside of Zeppelin in the last 40 years outside of a short gig with Paul Rodgers in The Firm?

#116 3 years ago

What has Page done outside of Zeppelin in the last 40 years outside of a short gig with Paul Rodgers in The Firm?

He had a #5 album with the Coverdale-Page band

David Coverdale & Jimmy Page - Don't leave me this way

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

What has Page done outside of Zeppelin in the last 40 years outside of a short gig with Paul Rodgers in The Firm?

He also joined The Black Crowes

Shapes of Things - Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

He also formed a band with Chris Squire of YES called XYZ

Jimmy Page / Chris Squire / Alan White - The XYZ

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

He joined up with Roy Harper and made an album called "Whatever Happened to Jugula?" (I would have called it "Hats Off")

roy harper & jimmy page. hangman

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

He then joined the rest of the Yardbirds in the band "Box Of Frogs"
Box of Frogs -Asylum

#121 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

He released a solo album "Outrider" that hit #26 on the BB200

Jimmy Page - Wasting My Time

#122 3 years ago

Presence is more like a collection of studio recordings that are still progress. None of the songs are quite good enough to be a commercial success. The hardest core Zepheads love Presence, while majority of casual listeners hate it. I don’t like it at all and consider it their worst album.

#123 3 years ago

Jimmy Page Dated a 14-year-old Girl While He Was in Led Zeppelin:

THE BACKSTORY: Lori Maddox was a part of the Los Angeles groupie scene beginning in the early 1970s. According to Maddox, Page became infatuated with her and had a roadie bring Maddox up to his suite at the L.A. Hyatt House. "[He was] wearing this hat over his eyes and holding a cane," she remembered. "He looked just like a gangster. It was magnificent." The pair went on to have a torrid affair over the next few years.

THE TRUTH: Maddox was, amazingly, just 14 when she met Page, though Page did what he could to keep the relationship hidden. Even in the swingin' Seventies this kind of thing could put you in jail. But with no TMZ or Us Weekly, Page got away with it. He eventually dumped Maddox for the of-legal-age Bebe Buell.

#124 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

He also formed a band with Chris Squire of YES called XYZ
Jimmy Page / Chris Squire / Alan White - The XYZ

I love Yes, but let's not pretend like XYZ really amounted to anything. All of the examples you provide prove my point about Jimmy Page post Zep more than anything. Zeppelin was to the 70's what the Beatles were to the 60's. They were a band that owned their decade and then broke up. Every Beatle had a successful solo career. Not too bad for a "boy band". Looks like McCartney III will be going to number 1. Not bad for a 78 year old leader of a boy band that broke up 50 years ago. As for Zep, only Plant can really point to any success post break-up. Page has done very little, and John Paul Jones has been nothing more than a "special guest" on other people's projects (including Paul McCartney's).

https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/12/25/chart-update-paul-mccartney-lands-number-1-spot-with-mccartney-iii-in-pure-sales-beating-taylor-swift-and-eminem

#125 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Page has done very little

Page does not have to do anything at all, he's sitting on 190 million dollar net worth, more money than he could ever spend.

He's got a dozen charities that he's involved with, that he claims are the "main focus" of his life.

Jamming with the Black Crowes has got to be the highlight of any musicians career, let alone cutting an album with them.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Zeppelin was to the 70's what the Beatles were to the 60's.

If you ask Joe Public and most classic rock radio tuners, then yeah you may be right.

But if you ask most musicians and people in the industry, or people who understand its history, I think they would say Black Sabbath has had a wider and much longer lasting impact.

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Page does not have to do anything at all, he's sitting on 190 million dollar net worth, more money than he could ever spend.
He's got a dozen charities that he's involved with, that he claims are the "main focus" of his life.
Jamming with the Black Crowes has got to be the highlight of any musicians career, let alone cutting an album with them.

The Black Crowes were good at what they did and might be fun to jam with, but they are not in the same zip code as Zeppelin, or the Yardbirds, or Cream, or the original Fleetwood Mac or a hundred other bands. An album with the Crowes was a great fit for Paige, as they could also be pegged as imitators (or at least "highly influenced by the blues greats") rather than innovators--just like Zeppelin.

#128 3 years ago

If you look at Certified Units (rather than just the record company "claiming" a bunch of unverified sales), only Rihanna beats the Beatles

So of course, the first boy band, with 34 #1 hit singles, is going to have more lasting popularity than Zep, who never had any #1 singles

Rihanna 289 Million
Beatles 282
Taylor Swift 226
Elvis Presley 226
Elton John 194
Led Zep 141

(if you included Rap music, Drake would probably blow all of the above out of the water. He's already beat the Beatles for most Top 10 singles in a year....)

#129 3 years ago

Without a doubt, the worst Led Zeppelin album is "Train Does Led Zeppelin II"

Yep, the band that had the most cringeful lyric ever put to music, "She listens to Mozart while she does Tae-Bo", decided it was a good idea to re-record the entire Zep II album.

Every song, in order, note for note.

I know you are thinking that they must have beefed up and updated the guitar solos; nope, note for note like the original.

I know you are thinking that they must have updated the mix; nope, total flat cardboard like the original.

484226 (resized).jpg484226 (resized).jpg

The album somehow got up to #74 , but did those kids know what they were buying, or did they just see "New Train" and click buy?

The only live version I could find was from Jimmy Kimmel Live, so you have to sit through a commercial:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4hzixh

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

If you ask Joe Public and most classic rock radio tuners, then yeah you may be right.
But if you ask most musicians and people in the industry, or people who understand its history, I think they would say Black Sabbath has had a wider and much longer lasting impact.

Ozzy’s worth 220M and he’s still alive and kicking, barely. Black Sabbath music still holds up and is relevant. Their influence is wide. Still wishing Stern will make that one day.

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I'm fairly burned out on Zeppelin, but still enjoy covers and live tracks.
Can't say which studio album is worse, but I HIGHLY recommend the 4 CD audio version of their live release "Led Zeppelin DVD" which are various picks from shows from '69-'79. (I assume the tracks are cleaned and redubbed and they sure sound awesome.)
\

This is a cool set for sure but yah allot of audio magic was used on it... and pretty much any live stuff they put out officially.

Unfortunately if you listen to them on any bootleg its pretty obvious they werent always the best live...

Back then it was warts and all live for every band.

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Holy shit that is vomit inducing...

WTF cant bands today write heir own music and cut the shit with the American Idol cover tune thing.

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

WTF cant bands today write heir own music and cut the shit with the American Idol cover tune thing.

There are no more old black blues songs left to rip off.

Robert Johnson only wrote twenty some songs

#134 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Holy shit that is vomit inducing...

And the worst part is, Pat Monahan does Plant live, better than Plant himself could ever do live.

They put Gretta Van Sheep to shame

=

Whole Lotta Love - Train

#135 3 years ago

If you want to see some good Zeppelin check out Zepparella. I saw them in February and they were great. I sat front row in front of Gretchen Menn the guitarist and she is awesome.

This one shows off Anna's pipes. The harmonica solo is 7 minutes so if you don't like the harmonica skip ahead 7 minutes.

Good video of Gretchen and Holly west the bass player.

Miss Clemintine the drummer showing off.

One more for the heck of it.

One other thing I loved about Zepparella is they have never played Stairway To Heaven in concert. The excuse they give is that Zeppelin did it perfect so there is no reason to try and cover it.

#136 3 years ago

I also saw No Quarter a couple months before and they were good. They try their best to recreate live Zep down to the clothes and recreate The Song Remains The Same. I liked them and would see them again but not if Zepparella was playing the same night.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, the band that had the most cringeful lyric ever put to music, "She listens to Mozart while she does Tae-Bo", decided it was a good idea to re-record the entire Zep II album.
Every song, in order, note for note.
I know you are thinking that they must have beefed up and updated the guitar solos; nope, note for note like the original.
I know you are thinking that they must have updated the mix; nope, total flat cardboard like the original.
[quoted image]
The album somehow got up to #74 , but did those kids know what they were buying, or did they just see "New Train" and click buy?
The only live version I could find was from Jimmy Kimmel Live, so you have to sit through a commercial:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4hzixh

Thanks for giving me yet another reason to hate Train. I was standing in a Barnes & Noble once and heard a song that was that insipid Heart & Soul song every nitwit knows how to play on piano. Somebody had added lyrics and turned it into a pop song. I took my phone out and Googled it, only to find out it was "Play That Song" by Train...and a ton of stupid people made it a hit.

Even worse...Pat Monahan spoiled my night by inducting Journey into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame after I had paid $450 a ticket to be there.

And people wonder why I say God hates me.

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

And the worst part is, Pat Monahan does Plant live, better than Plant himself could ever do live.
They put Gretta Van Sheep to shame
=
Whole Lotta Love - Train

Pat Monahan has got to be one of the biggest posers in music.

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I dunno who he is..but they sounded like a hurried opening cover band tho.. told to wrap it up and trying to get two more songs in! I dunno how bad zep was live.. but they must if been better than that!

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any dude wearing skinny jeans is suspect in my book.

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

No doubt.

Unbutton his shirt, put a Friendly Lion wig on him, and he could pose as the perfect Robert Plant

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I dunno how bad zep was live.. but they must if been better than that!

Sadly, Train is much better doing Zep live, than the real Zep ever was live.

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sadly, Train is much better doing Zep live, than the real Zep ever was live.

We can agree to disagree on this.

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

We can agree to disagree on this.

You know those cellphone videos are true, live performances without overdubs.

Train as a band is lockstep tight, none of that Zeppelin slop and bad notes.

...and Pat Monahan effortlessly hits all the high notes that Plant never could

#145 3 years ago

So far I'm completely unimpressed with any of these Zep covers. The best I've heard doing Zeppelin tunes live was Heart, and this one--no audio trickery. John McEnroe's wife just kills it--this girl can sing!

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

So far I'm completely unimpressed with any of these Zep covers. The best I've heard doing Zeppelin tunes live was Heart, and this one--no audio trickery. John McEnroe's wife just kills it--this girl can sing!

Too bad they never got her in Van Halen!

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Check out the Heart version of Stairway they did for the Kennedy Center Honors show. A-MAZING! Heart has done that song since the 70s and Robert Plant specifically commented on how he thought Ann Wilson sung it better than him. Only minor thumbs down is that Shayne Fontayne, the lead guitarist, completely botched the solo. No idea why he was there; he does not play in Heart nor in Nancy or Ann’s solo bands. Anyway it’s otherwise great. I love Jimmy Page’s very English reaction when the solo turns into a cluster.

#148 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Why is anyone doing covers?

write a song you lazy pricks.

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You know those cellphone videos are true, live performances without overdubs.
Train as a band is lockstep tight, none of that Zeppelin slop and bad notes.
...and Pat Monahan effortlessly hits all the high notes that Plant never could

well..... not really since most bands these days use some form of auto tune etc on the vocals and or pre-rerecorded tracks for backgrounds and other parts.

Welcome to the world of digital fuckery.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

The best I've heard doing Zeppelin tunes live was Heart, and this one--no audio trickery.

Patty Smyth's voice is pretty versatile.

She used to do the voiceovers for the Leggs Pantyhose commercials after Scandal.

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-worst-led-zeppelin-album/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.