View topic image gallery

484226 (resized).jpg
Led_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_DVD (resized).jpg
4C001193-573E-419A-B8D1-888575A64F2D (resized).jpeg
27404EC0-9C48-4F5D-91D8-45A46CCECC06.gif
129shb (1) (resized).jpg
1666852712_8f741175ce_z (resized).jpg
x3x1a08846176df7914a02370ef480f71eb (resized).jpg
There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 3 years ago

the worst zep album is the album art and songs they gave as the playlist for the new games (all models)

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

the worst zep album is the album art and songs they gave as the playlist for the new games (all models)

You're right...I'd much rather listen to the music on the Wonka machine.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

They got a bit side tracked here at times, but Plant's voice wasn't shot yet.

I've got those sets, excellent!

Two observations:

Bootlegged concerts have better artwork than Stern

Plant introduces one of the songs as "The Mud Shark"

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You're right...I'd much rather listen to the music on the Wonka machine.

you got me there. I suppose i can always just jam out to my spotify on some random station while playing wonka. that music is not really good on wonka, you're right.

#55 3 years ago

Presence I thought was the worst.

In thru the out door had “In the evening” still one of all time fav intros of all time.

#56 3 years ago

Easily Presence, with In Through the Out Door a close second, but In the Evening really saves In Through the Out Door.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

But it had the cool paint-with-water album cover that turned sepia into color. That was kind of cool.

Damn I forgot about that! The reissues have this too, which is amazing

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Zeppelin wishes they could play and write songs at the level of Sabbath.
Their debut cover album is the worst.

.....uh you serious you got a effects pedal for a icon I assume a rat (love the rat distortion).I play both sabbath and LZ on guitar.To be fair give me Black Sabbath because my fingers want a break.A sober Page is a prodigy but for some reason only Hendrix was allowed to get sloppy without a critic not Page.IMO maybe it's just me.Love Sabbath but find them pretty easy to play.Heartbreaker solo is still pretty much the first shred I can think of.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Kyleman:

.....uh you serious you got a effects pedal for a icon I assume a rat (love the rat distortion).I play both sabbath and LZ on guitar.To be fair give me Black Sabbath because my fingers want a break.A sober Page is a prodigy but for some reason only Hendrix was allowed to get sloppy without a critic not Page.IMO maybe it's just me.Love Sabbath but find them pretty easy to play.Heartbreaker solo is still pretty much the first shred I can think of.

If you really pay attention to Iommi's technique and feel, it definitely gets tougher to play. Since Page was sloppier, you can get away with a lot. Iommi has a few stand-by blues licks he breaks out quite often in the early albums, but try playing some of the stuff from the 80s! If you really want to get crazy, pay attention to how little his fingers move - he's the master of economy of motion!

#60 3 years ago

Hard to say which is the worst Zep album. The hardest part to admit is studio magic is what made Zep so good. I am sure younger Plant had much better chops but overdubs and good editing make him sound amazing. While Page is credited for writing some great riffs/tunes he is not a guitar god in the technical sense. Watching live performances is painful...poor sloppy playing/missed notes/cues etc. Page is great at making a studio masterpiece. It’s easy to see how drugs/alcohol affected him playing live. I get that bands like to mix it up live as it would get old playing the studio version note for note every night but there are some solos/ parts you don’t mess with as they are too perfect/iconic. But when you do and do it poorly it’s pathetic. It’s almost sad in a way to know that Zep really could not duplicate live what they could in a studio.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

. It’s almost sad in a way to know that Zep really could not duplicate live what they could in a studio.

I saw Page and Plant in 1999. I know it wasn’t Zep, but I thought they sounded awesome. Played for 2.5 hours and rocked the house.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Presence I thought was the worst.
In thru the out door had “In the evening” still one of all time fav intros of all time.

What about Fool in the rain and All of my love?It’s tough by I changed my vote to Presence being the worse!

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Kyleman:

I think we can agree Page is sloppy but wrote great riffs/tunes. Hendrix doesn’t get a pass but his career was short. He had a unique style and it was hard to tell if he was just experimenting or completely whacked out of his mind sometimes. I think of Hendrix as an innovator. Good music is good music even if it is studio magic. Many bands are guilty of this. We could have a different thread/discussion about what musicians/bands on a technical level are the best.

#64 3 years ago

As a Teenager in the 70's, I voted with my wallet. When you make 1.85 per hour ya gotta be committed to an album to make a purchase. Not just one/two songs, but the album. I bought every Zep album that came out till Presence. I did not buy them in order as Zep 2 was my first. "Whole Lotta Love" Baby . My last was Presence. I was so excited when Presence was released (and I was making a little better money), I bought it without hearing a single song. Ouch! I admit after that , Zep made a couple of great songs (Yes, I will pay homage to Achilles ), but for me anyway, the magic was over. I think I was on my way to Southern Rock by then as I recall.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I saw Page and Plant in 1999. I know it wasn’t Zep, but I thought they sounded awesome. Played for 2.5 hours and rocked the house.

Yeah...by 1999 it was cool to be sober and equipment had gotten much better and almost every band sounds good live which is a good thing. How would Ozzy/Sabbath sound if live shows were still using 30 plus year old technology?

#66 3 years ago

I first heard "Whole Lotta Love" on KAAY AM's late night Beaker Street radio show in '69 or '70 and was blown away. Zep III was kinda weird, but still Ok. IV was good, but I got sick of hearing Stairway, etc. on the radio every hour. Houses was great, and Physical Graffiti is one of my all time top 5 Albums.

I had mixed feelings about Presence and had pretty much jumped ship by the time their last album came out due to broadening of my musical "taste".

But I've gotta vote IV, due to being pounded into my head on the Radio for years on end. If I never hear some of those songs again, that's OK by me.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

But it had the cool paint-with-water album cover that turned sepia into color. That was kind of cool.

There was also 5 or 7 different photos of the bar scene on the inner cover. Each angle from the view from the people in the scene.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Kyleman:

(Ugh, this wasnt meant to be a rant but I'm laying here about to start the day with a bowl and my guitar. Sorry in advance for this word (rat) salad.)

I'll take Sabbath over Zeppelin for originality alone.

While Zeppelin was telling everyone they need "coolin", Geezer was writing lyrics from another planet, about a variety of subjects. Their music has always been more interesting to me than Zeppelin ever was. I still dig Zeppelin and mostly kid around on these forums, but i think the radio-tuning simpletons have always got it wrong if they think Sabbath is just only about the "Paranoid" album (not even their best!) while Zeppelin is so genius with their "oh darlin' darlin" radio hits.

Try seeking out Sabbath's live material/bootlegs if you really wanna hear the height of Tony's power in the 70s. Not bad for a guy missing two finger tips. Many mortals would have given up after that accident.

I play guitar as well. But I'm not trying to be the fastest player or most technical. I just let it come to me. Mostly drone and riffs for me with the occasional solo and break into ambient.

But maybe one day I'll play like Yngwie!

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

I think we can agree Page is sloppy but wrote great riffs/tunes. Hendrix doesn’t get a pass but his career was short. He had a unique style and it was hard to tell if he was just experimenting or completely whacked out of his mind sometimes. I think of Hendrix as an innovator. Good music is good music even if it is studio magic. Many bands are guilty of this. We could have a different thread/discussion about what musicians/bands on a technical level are the best.

I think that's what makes Hendrix so good and still interesting to this day. I love that Band of Gypsys record.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If you really pay attention to Iommi's technique and feel, it definitely gets tougher to play. Since Page was sloppier, you can get away with a lot. Iommi has a few stand-by blues licks he breaks out quite often in the early albums, but try playing some of the stuff from the 80s! If you really want to get crazy, pay attention to how little his fingers move - he's the master of economy of motion!

80s Sabbath is vastly underrated.

While everyone with a guitar was dancing around the stage in that era, he just stood there and let his playing become the spectacle. Lots of jazz influence in his live playing as well.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

I think that's what makes Hendrix so good and still interesting to this day. I love that Band of Gypsys record.

Exactly! Being a technical expert is a different discussion. Hendrix was an innovator. He created sounds so unique and different. Page probably wrote/stole more iconic rock riffs than we realize. They all have their place in music history.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Exactly! Being a technical expert is a different discussion. Hendrix was an innovator. He created sounds so unique and different. Page probably wrote/stole more iconic rock riffs than we realize. They all have their place in music history.

It cracks me up to this day that there are still "shredder" guitars dudes all over you tube. Ooooh wow you can play fast.

That shit hasnt been cool since the 80s and not sure it was even all that cool back then.

Its all the same person just wanking endless fast scales and zero ability to write a decent song or riff.

Page is a shitty lead player allot of times but a great writer, producer etc etc

Ill take that over sounding like a human typewriter.

#73 3 years ago

Creativity > technical ability always was always will

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

That shit hasnt been cool since the 80s and not sure it was even all that cool back then.

Yngwie Malmsteen made it cool. Still does...that guy does it right.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yngwie Malmsteen made it cool. Still does...that guy does it right.

Oh yah..he is awesome

The 25,000 guys that do a bad impression of him are annoying though.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

While Zeppelin was telling everyone they need "coolin", Geezer was writing lyrics from another planet, about a variety of subjects.

That's because Zep did not write those lyrics, Willie Dixon did.

The lyric makes sense in the dirty black blues original, no so much in the sterilized, ready-for-white-radio cover tune.

The zep song is a double ripoff, as the arrangement was stolen from The Small Faces in 1966.

The drawn out vowel, screaming delivery is directly stolen from Steve Marriott. " Woooomannnnnnn Choooooo Neeeeeeee Love" at the end, is all Marriott, not Plant.

-

The Small Faces-You Need Loving.

-

And of course, you need the original by Muddy Waters.

Much filthier, way more groove

Muddy Waters - You Need Love

-

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Speaking of Clapton the guy can play, but what an epic tool.

I like most of Cream, and Forever Man, Lay Down Sally and a few others, but his guitar work doesn't do much for me. The acoustic "Layla" is a snoozer.
Maybe it's just taste, or lack thereof.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

While Zeppelin was telling everyone they need "coolin"

129shb (1) (resized).jpg129shb (1) (resized).jpg
#79 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's because Zep did not write those lyrics, Willie Dixon did.

Yeah and they took from Dixon more than once. Howlin' Wolf also.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's always the case when white men try to sing the blues.
Did you ever see the hilarious interview video from the late 90s where Eric Crapton is blindsided as he finds out that "I Shot The Sheriff" is a song about Bob Marley killing the doctor that gave his girlfriend an abortion?
He had been singing the song for decades, and didn't have a clue what it was about.[quoted image]

Eric "Crapton" has had a way more successful overall career than Jimmy Page. If Clapton is "crap", what does that make Jimmy Paige? Clapton in multiple successful bands, and successful as a solo artist. It probably helps that he can not only play, but sing. He's also the only 3-time Rock Hall inductee.

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Rumors circulated for years that he got bit by Phil Collins
-
Led Zeppelin - Live Aid. 1985 Full Concert.

Jeez, that '85 Live Aid performance was such a fucking mess.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Eric "Crapton" has had a way more successful overall career than Jimmy Page. If Clapton is "crap", what does that make Jimmy Paige? Clapton in multiple successful bands, and successful as a solo artist. It probably helps that he can not only play, but sing. He's also the only 3-time Rock Hall inductee.

I'll take Stevie Ray Vaughn over Clapton. You could FEEL his music. Clapton, I don't feel a thing.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Hard to say which is the worst Zep album. The hardest part to admit is studio magic is what made Zep so good. I am sure younger Plant had much better chops but overdubs and good editing make him sound amazing. While Page is credited for writing some great riffs/tunes he is not a guitar god in the technical sense. Watching live performances is painful...poor sloppy playing/missed notes/cues etc. Page is great at making a studio masterpiece. It’s easy to see how drugs/alcohol affected him playing live. I get that bands like to mix it up live as it would get old playing the studio version note for note every night but there are some solos/ parts you don’t mess with as they are too perfect/iconic. But when you do and do it poorly it’s pathetic. It’s almost sad in a way to know that Zep really could not duplicate live what they could in a studio.

I still like the song remands the same live album. Is that considered sloppy vocals?

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I still like the song remands the same live album. Is that considered sloppy vocals?

Most 70s "live" albums arent very live and get fixed up in the studio.

There are some bootlegs where you get the real picture and sorry to say that live they were pretty hit or miss.

#85 3 years ago

Oh yah..he is awesome
The 25,000 guys that do a bad impression of him are annoying though.

Yngwie, Vai, Rhodes, Satriani, and maybe Paul Gilbert are really about the only ones still worth listening to; all the rest more or less imitated these guys (and EVH of course) and sound REALLY dated now.

What makes so many of the shredders so boring to listen to is the simple fact that most of them couldn’t write their way out of a paper bag, so their “songs” are little more than a slog through a recording of someone’s woodshedding.

If you want shredding AND fully-baked songs, listen to the 70s Fusion players (applies to drums, bass, and keys too) and you’ll never take the 80s hairspray guys seriously again!

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

I'll take Stevie Ray Vaughn over Clapton. You could FEEL his music. Clapton, I don't feel a thing.

I saw SRV live just a few months prior to his death, and the vibe really was almost spiritual (his gratitude for the “second chance” he had through new-found sobriety was very evident in his playing).

Clapton is best experienced through the Mayall and Cream albums; for the 70s stuff, skip the Clapton cover versions and listen to J.J. Cale play those songs live, so you can hear them with all the original mojo intact (and also hear Cale smoke Clapton on guitar).

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Overdubbed vocals

#88 3 years ago

There is no worst album. They’re ALL amazing. It’s Led Zeppelin.
Even CODA.
It’s strange but the more I think of it, that’s when I use to listened to whole album sides.
With digital music, I just pick my favorite songs to listen too.
It’s special listening to a whole album at once. I need to do that more.

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Eric "Crapton" has had a way more successful overall career than Jimmy Page.

And Clapton managed to be a much bigger piece of shit than Page as well. #winning

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’m still waiting for someone to come out and say John Bonham isn’t the best drummer to Grace earth.
Everything LZ has been shit on over the last two weeks.
Come on, I double dog dare you! Lol

OK, if no one is gonna take the bait I will. I prefer Ginger Baker to Bonham, and probably Mitch Mitchell as well. I like their jazz-based technique and the way they swing rather than the straight on rock style of Bonham.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

80s Sabbath is vastly underrated.
While everyone with a guitar was dancing around the stage in that era, he just stood there and let his playing become the spectacle. Lots of jazz influence in his live playing as well.

Django Reinhardt was his idol, not just from a guitar playing standpoint, but from a guitar playing with screwed-up fingers standpoint

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Eric "Crapton" has had a way more successful overall career than Jimmy Page. If Clapton is "crap", what does that make Jimmy Paige?

Eric Crapton has sold 100 million albums

Jimmy Page has sold 300 million albums

So we'd have to say that Page is 3x more successful than Crapton

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Django Reinhardt was his idol, not just from a guitar playing standpoint, but from a guitar playing with screwed-up fingers standpoint

That is true. Their sound had a big jazz influence overall, since Bill Ward was/is such a huge Gene Krupa fan.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

pay attention to how little his fingers move

or pay attention to how his little fingers move

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A "sheriff" is an abortion doctor; like a "shrink" is a psychiatris

Sheriff John Brown always hated him because he had an illegal grow operation. He'd say kill that seed before it grows. So he shot him. He shot him dead.

It sounds a lot more like Sheriff John Brown was following the law. Having a baby was perfectly legal, but growing pot was not.

But for the record, he didn't shoot the deputy, which I assume is slang for a midwife.

And Presence is a shitty album.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

or pay attention to how his little fingers move

27404EC0-9C48-4F5D-91D8-45A46CCECC06.gif27404EC0-9C48-4F5D-91D8-45A46CCECC06.gif
#97 3 years ago

I like Led Zepp 3 (surprised anyone voted for it) but that Roy harper song is a piece of crap

Always got annoyed enough to get up and pull the needle on vinyl when that came on.

#98 3 years ago

I like Led Zepp 3 (surprised anyone voted for it) but that Roy harper song is a piece of crap

That's because it's 4 famous blues songs, made into a single steaming pile

Shake ‘Em On Down by Bukka White

Lone Wolf Blues by Oscar Woods

#99 3 years ago

Every real Zeppelin fan knows Presence is the worst. CODA doesn’t count since it was a release of old material and Bonham was dead.

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Yeah...by 1999 it was cool to be sober and equipment had gotten much better and almost every band sounds good live which is a good thing. How would Ozzy/Sabbath sound if live shows were still using 30 plus year old technology?

Yeah but your original post was specific to Zep like they sounded bad which was the exception and not the rule. This post makes it seem like you are saying everyone sounded bad back in the day. Anyway, I never saw them back in the day. I just know they sounded great in 1999. Have a great Christmas Eve!

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-worst-led-zeppelin-album/page/2?hl=krupps4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.