(Topic ID: 265611)

What type of wire is used on light boards and where do I buy it?

By Mr_Tantrum

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3712 (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

I'm having a custom backglass made for a pin, so I want to build a new custom light board with a corresponding layout. I can make the board myself from MDF (I assume just paint the front white or use some reflective material on it). I also can get all of the bulb sockets I need from Marco's. The one thing I can't seem to find based upon my searching is what kind of wire to use and where to get it. Can someone please educate me?

Here is a pic of what I am referring to: the non-insulated silver colored wires that connect to all of the socket leads.
    IMG_3712 (resized).JPGIMG_3712 (resized).JPG

#2 4 years ago

http://pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

Tinned copper wire about 1/2 way down the page.

Some people use Picture wire, but that is steel and is not the correct item for this.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

http://pinrestore.com/Supplies.html
    Tinned copper wire about 1/2 way down the page.
    Some people use Picture wire, but that is steel and is not the correct item for this.

Perfect, thank you.

#4 4 years ago

One more question. Since it is purchased by the foot, do you know about how many feet it typically takes to do a light board (I know it will vary some, but just trying to get an estimate from someone with experience)?

#5 4 years ago

I just buy a lot of it and keep it for various projects (I have over 10 playfield swaps to complete/start).

Just kind of measure it out and then get some extra.

#6 4 years ago

Whatever you think you'll need - double it. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Plus it's pretty inexpensive...

#7 4 years ago

Is there a place to buy a spool instead of by the foot that you are aware of? I've google searched like crazy but have come up empty.

#8 4 years ago

you can find spools on Amazon search for bus wire.

#9 4 years ago

Everything I find there is solid core and not stranded, but I’ll keep looking.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-wire-used-on-light-boards-called-and-where-do-i-buy-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.