(Topic ID: 185247)

What is the warmth/color of the led lighting of the AFMr playfield?

By pindoc1

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pintechev
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9146 (resized).JPG
IMG_9144 (resized).JPG
IMG_5665 (resized).PNG

#1 7 years ago

I have pre-ordered an AFMr. As I was reading the description, I noticed that they go to great lengths to reproduce the incandescent lighting of the original with the new led's. I like the "cold" color of led bulbs in pinball machines such as in modern Stern pins. When I have a pin with incandescent bulbs on next to one with led's, the one with incandescent bulbs just looks old and tired in comparison.

For those who have seen it in person, do the GI and controlled lamps look like the original incandescent bulbs or are they the brighter, colder, more intense light of led's?

Did they color match the bulbs to the inserts for more intense color, or just white all around?

Are the bulbs replaceable or are they surface mounted on circuit boards?

Thanks

#2 7 years ago

If they do what they did with MMR they will be using nifty LEDs with this bulb type:

IMG_5665 (resized).PNGIMG_5665 (resized).PNG

I know these are comets but I just included the pic so you can se the bulb as I don't think nifty offers these on their site.

That being said I think they used warm white in MMr. Not sure though. Either way, the game will be plenty bright with these bulbs for GI.

Color matched inserts is questionable considering it doesn't appear they did it for MMr.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from pindoc1:

I have pre-ordered an AFMr. As I was reading the description, I noticed that they go to great lengths to reproduce the incandescent lighting of the original with the new led's. I like the "cold" color of led bulbs in pinball machines such as in modern Stern pins. When I have a pin with incandescent bulbs on next to one with led's, the one with incandescent bulbs just looks old and tired in comparison.
For those who have seen it in person, do the GI and controlled lamps look like the original incandescent bulbs or are they the brighter, colder, more intense light of led's?
Did they color match the bulbs to the inserts for more intense color, or just white all around?
Are the bulbs replaceable or are they surface mounted on circuit boards?
Thanks

Thats one of the things i dont like about the remakes. You cant change the insert bulbs at all and i much perfer color matching the inserts over all warm white as it just pops and looks better imo. Same thing with the flashers as i like some color in the backbox and on the play field sometimes but the remake has white colored pcb flashers. You can change the playfield gi om the remakes tho which is nice .

#4 6 years ago

It was mentioned somewhere that the warmer color temperature can be changed in the game settings.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from LewisD:

It was mentioned somewhere that the warmer color temperature can be changed in the game settings.

The gi can be changed . The insert fading effects can be changed but the color of the leds is the color .

#6 6 years ago

I don't know if this helps but here are a couple photos I took with my phone of the LE and SE at TPF. The lights are adjustable and are turned up brighter on the SE for comparison. LED's often make the game and colors pop, and that was certainly the case with AFMr seeing it in person. The inserts are large and have that faceted appearance which make them look like sparkling jewels on the playfield.

IMG_9144 (resized).JPGIMG_9144 (resized).JPG
IMG_9146 (resized).JPGIMG_9146 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The gi can be changed . The insert fading effects can be changed but the color of the leds is the color .

I'm not sure if they added this option but it is definitely possible to have the warmth of the led be adjustable but you can't adjust from warm to cool white. Just varying degrees of warm.

#8 6 years ago

One of my biggest questions about this remake is the light boards... What's their replace-ability? One goes bad in 8 years and CGC has abandoned making pins, then what?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

One of my biggest questions about this remake is the light boards... What's their replace-ability? One goes bad in 8 years and CGC has abandoned making pins, then what?

I guess I would try and find out who made them and get with them.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I'm not sure if they added this option but it is definitely possible to have the warmth of the led be adjustable but you can't adjust from warm to cool white. Just varying degrees of warm.

Correct

#11 6 years ago

Thanks very much for the replies. Sounds like people are pretty happy with the lights in general.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If they do what they did with MMR they will be using nifty LEDs with this bulb type:

I know these are comets but I just included the pic so you can se the bulb as I don't think nifty offers these on their site.
That being said I think they used warm white in MMr. Not sure though. Either way, the game will be plenty bright with these bulbs for GI.
Color matched inserts is questionable considering it doesn't appear they did it for MMr.

Lighting will basically be this bulb again with a slight twist, it wont be a bayonet or wedge base.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Lighting will basically be this bulb again with a slight twist, it wont be a bayonet or wedge base.

Ahhh?

#14 6 years ago

So it's warm white LED boards with adjustable brightness? I was really hoping for cool whites in there as I prefer that over incandescent lighting.

#15 6 years ago

Its a shame that the richness of the insert colors does not come out due to these brighter/whiter LED lights below them. The latest Stern games are just terrible with all the bright white lighting on the GIs. It sure would have been nice to have an option to change colors with these. Maybe something will be made later that we can solder in to get the colors we want.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Its a shame that the richness of the insert colors does not come out due to these brighter/whiter LED lights below them. The latest Stern games are just terrible with all the bright white lighting on the GIs. It sure would have been nice to have an option to change colors with these. Maybe something will be made later that we can solder in to get the colors we want.

All new stern GI are socketed bulbs. You can change them all easy.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

All new stern GI are socketed bulbs. You can change them all easy.

Yea but hes talking about the inserts..... one big plus of older games is color matched inserts as it really makes them pop and look sharp.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea but hes talking about the inserts..... one big plus of older games is color matched inserts as it really makes them pop and look sharp.

Okay then what was the comment about the GI being bright white and terrible? Haha

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay then what was the comment about the GI being bright white and terrible? Haha

I guess op was talking about both lol.

#20 6 years ago

i don't like how the hotdog insert looks in that picture. Hopefully you won't see the 5 leds like that in real life. How is that big insert lit in the original game?

The more I think about this lighting, the more I'm leaning toward finding an original game. Which is a shame, because I was really looking forward getting a NIB SE. I like the look of the classic better, I think the large display isn't for me. Although a colour display is a must and so is a shaker. For the price difference I'd probably get the SE. But this big board scares me for repair, replacement, and isn't easily customizable (if at all). You might be able to change the led's but that be dealing with SMD soldering on your new game.

#21 6 years ago

Must be the pics because it didn't look that way in person. I've never noticed anything like that when I've played MMR either. I'm sure you will be able to see one before deciding. I have to say I enjoyed it the most of anything at the show.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

i don't like how the hotdog insert looks in that picture. Hopefully you won't see the 5 leds like that in real life. How is that big insert lit in the original game?

The original has 2 bulbs to light it, and they do a pretty poor job of lighting the entire insert. I modded mine to use a red LED strip, and it looks a lot like the AFMr picture above. I'm not sure how it would be possible to have even lighting across an insert that big.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The original has 2 bulbs to light it, and they do a pretty poor job of lighting the entire insert. I modded mine to use a red LED strip, and it looks a lot like the AFMr picture above. I'm not sure how it would be possible to have even lighting across an insert that big.

Maybe mount the strip so it is under the insert turned on its side facing away from the player and lines the hotdog. I would think it would light it up without seeing the actual strip.

#24 6 years ago

One can always diffuse the light from board mounted SMDs, with add ons, or increase the distance from the inserts, to affect playfield appearance.

#25 6 years ago

Yeah, I don't see why someone couldn't make a gel/sheet with different colors if they really, really wanted the effect. Different strokes for different folks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
15,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 210.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-warmthcolor-of-the-led-lighting-of-the-afmr-playfield?hl=lewisd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.