(Topic ID: 19107)

What Is The Value Of A VACATION AMERICA?

By PINBELL

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 137 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by coz6
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0992 (resized).PNG
vacation.JPG
Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 11.54.03 PM.png
dr evil.png
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Newsom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

$500 shit. They would be worth double if it said B/W on the backglass.

If it said B/W on the backglass, would the flipper system also magically change into something as good as fliptronics? Would B/W on the backglass cause the playfield/backglass/cabinet art to become more attractive? The sound system to be on par with DCS?

Gottlieb put out fantastic EMs and some great SS games, but the system 3s as a whole just do not hold up well against WPCs.
The most important part of the game - the flippers, just feel horrible. WPC flippers are beautifully responsive allowing the player to have as much control and finesse as his skills allow. The Gottlieb flippers feel like two bricks compared to fliptronics.
And what is up with the flippers signaling a scored field goal? Is it supposed to be fun when you can cradle everything that comes the inlanes?

I do enjoy some system 3s - Surf n Safari, um, umm, the rules on Stargate are alright (even if you are always in MB). I would certainly play System 3s if I saw them. And a few of them I don't have much time on, so I could possibly be missing a fun game. Fortunately, the ops around me had the good taste to buy mostly WMS games in the 90s.

So to say that if you slapped an upside down Motorola sign on a game it would double its value is a simplistic view. Yes, WPC is highly favored compared to System 3. And there are many good reasons for that. The flippers, pops, and slings have a much better feel. Diamondplate. DCS. Superior call outs and sounds (how many times must the game remind me to shoot the pyramid?). Overall attention to detail. And WMS really started raising the bar with some stellar rulesets.
The only area where I can think that System 3s are on par or superior to WPC is that they are built like tanks and are known to be reliable.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

VA used Williams flippers.

WMS flippers can't save that game. Awful rules.

However, I was responding to Neo's post about Gottliebs being undervalued.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

System 3's build quality is far superior to bally williams. they are built like tanks. Try moving one once. I had SMBMW which is a baby cabinet, and it weighed more than my TZ did. They are built like a ton of bricks.

Yeah, I said that they were built like tanks.
And I actually have a Big Hurt and have moved it around some, and put it on location.
It is solidly built, but when it comes to weight, it is no WOZ. Or Black Hole.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Btw, you can tone down the assisted callouts if you wanted. Ruleset for Stargate is more complex and in depth over anything B/W put out that year or before.

I would be toning those waaay down. But that did not help me when I was playing on location.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Yes the name holds it back, because if B/W made stargate, it would be a 7K+ game.

Probably not. But it would be a lot more fun with improved flippers, sound system, etc.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

hold down the right flipper button before starting the game if you want to tone down the assisted callouts. Says so right on the apron. :/

Well, that is a good idea.
Where on the apron does it say this?
I'm looking at system 3 pics on IPDB and I don't see it.
Is it below the shooter lane? On the cards?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Newsom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-value-of-a-vacation-america?tu=Newsom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.